• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

game stop midnite tourney info on site.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
sorry i don't feel like going through 16 pages and i didn't see it on that gamestop page, but is there a prize for just winning your store's tournament? because i don't know if i could do the regionals and nationals and crap.

Puppet Master

Smash Cadet
sorry i don't feel like going through 16 pages and i didn't see it on that gamestop page, but is there a prize for just winning your store's tournament? because i don't know if i could do the regionals and nationals and crap.
to answer that question, it says that prizes are awarded to the winner of every round... there are 4 rounds and the 1st round takes place at the stores so, yes, you will get a prize if you win

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
Im from detroit also. Im going to the one in roseville though. Its the one closest to me. Me and my brother are pretty good so we have double the chance of winning.
Cool, A group of my friends are pretty good but i think Im the only one going to midnight release.

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
Im probably going calling em today, hopefully i can go even if I didn't pre-order.. my (Duncan OK) gamestop isn't hosting one. so I have to go to lawton central mall and play Imma gonna own ne1 who comes so they better be prepared..

NDUDE

Smash Ace
...So there IS a point to having Tournament Mode...

"All scores will be tracked by the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Software automated tournament bracket mode (Tourney Mode) will be deemed the official score for all purposes."

Also...

"When your name is called, you will be given one (1) opportunity to compete against another Contestant at that location. Each Round 1 Contestant will be paired with another Round 1 Contestant in a one (1) minute match until one (1) Contestant is eliminated. The winner of each Round 1 match will then compete against another winner until only one (1) Round 1 Contestant has survived the elimination matches. The surviving Round 1 winner at each participating GameStop location will be declared the District Winner and will have the opportunity to compete in Round 2 of the Tournament."

This all in the official rules.

Edit: Oooooh crap:

"Regardless of the Round, Contestants must use Game Controllers provided at the participating GameStop location or Tournament location. A Contestant cannot use his or her own Game Controllers."

Hope and pray you're not given some used demo controller...>_>

Quaalude

Smash Rookie
...So there IS a point to having Tournament Mode...

"All scores will be tracked by the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Software automated tournament bracket mode (Tourney Mode) will be deemed the official score for all purposes."

Also...

"When your name is called, you will be given one (1) opportunity to compete against another Contestant at that location. Each Round 1 Contestant will be paired with another Round 1 Contestant in a one (1) minute match until one (1) Contestant is eliminated. The winner of each Round 1 match will then compete against another winner until only one (1) Round 1 Contestant has survived the elimination matches. The surviving Round 1 winner at each participating GameStop location will be declared the District Winner and will have the opportunity to compete in Round 2 of the Tournament."

This all in the official rules.

Edit: Oooooh crap:

"Regardless of the Round, Contestants must use Game Controllers provided at the participating GameStop location or Tournament location. A Contestant cannot use his or her own Game Controllers."

Hope and pray you're not given some used demo controller...>_>
One minute?

So just kill once then run?

Kruton

Smash Ace
I wish there were specifics, such as items, controller used, available roster.

I don't expect it to be any better than Best Buy's at all, but it would still be something I would want to know.

Items won't be too bad to play with 1v1 though, there's definitely still a major competitive factor, just with luck thrown in.

D

Deleted member

I just read the official rules and they are ********. I'm not even a hardcore tourney player but those rules just fail.

M.K

Level 55
OK....

I called my Gamestop today, and they said that before they can even consider a tournament, they would have to retrieve more controllers directly from Nintendo. I have to ask, is this such a big deal that it could cancel the tournament?

By the way, I don't feel like reading through these pages, do you have to have pre-ordered the game to participate? I have it pre-ordered in two stores, and the answer above came from one of them, and the other is in...a pretty crappy part of town.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
hmmm..it says you need a parent or legal guardian to sign a form for you.
Would my brother count as a legal guardian? (He's 22 years old)

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
what time do they start at? I couldnt find that when looking thru it b4

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
what time do they start at? I couldn't find that when looking thru it b4
It varies from store to store. Everything varies from store to store pretty much. It all depends on what the manager wants to do. There are recommendations in the little rule book that should have, But who's there to stop them from doing it their way?

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Hehehe I guess I'm lucky the people that work at my Gamestop and know me and that I'm a competitive Smasher so they want me to give them some ideas for rules and stuff.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
wow. yeah right. If I win the first tournament, which I most likely will, there's no way in hell I'm driving 4 hours to the nearest round two location. forget that.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind the traveling but with the type of people that'll show up I don't think they'd wanna drive for an other round. I dunno how that's gonna work. :S

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
So i just called the torunament in Lawton OK (30 minutes away from where i live)
The person was really helpful :) they had a sheet that said it all
Questions I asked (some of em):
What time is it going to start at.
A. 10 pm on march 8th. (gonna get there around 9:15
Q. What type of controller is gonna be used
A. The wii-mote since its on the wii
Q. What are we gonna use like items and the smash ball
A. There will be items and no smash ball most likely.

So thats not the full detailed thing but it helps alot.. :)

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
So i just called the torunament in Lawton OK (30 minutes away from where i live)
The person was really helpful :) they had a sheet that said it all
Questions I asked (some of em):
What time is it going to start at.
A. 10 pm on march 8th. (gonna get there around 9:15
Q. What type of controller is gonna be used
A. The wii-mote since its on the wii
Q. What are we gonna use like items and the smash ball
A. There will be items and no smash ball most likely.

So thats not the full detailed thing but it helps alot.. :)
Those all sound lame. :(

My Game Stop they said they were going to use GC controllers.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
Wow, on my way home from the airport just now I was listening to ESPN radio and heard a national commercial for the Gamestop SSBB tournament! Crazy, huh? They're really promoting this thing.

Sandy

Smash Champion
My guess is either GC since I've seen a lot of the Wii kiosks with the Gamecube controllers, or the Classic Controller.
My theory on the gamestop tournament control scheme would be Wii Motes only.

This is why:

both the Wii mote and Nunchuck are physically attached to the console. My guess is that they would swap out the nunchuck for a wii mote only style of play. Least amount of controllers that can be used with out cracking open the shell the Wii console is safely residing in.

If I had to guess, it would be Wiimotes only. We'll probably find out when the game is released in stores for a demonstration.

Top Bottom