• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game-Modes besides Stock and Time.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
We of course know the two big game modes in the game, Stock and Time. Even though I mostly see Stock, I play the time mode sometimes. However, let's not forget the ugly duckling Coin battle. Which I may repeat, no one EVER plays.

So....let's get on what this Topics about. What other game modes would you love to see in smash besides Time and Stock. I would like to see a King of the Hill or a Carry the Crown mode in which players fight over who holds the crown for the longest. What do you think?

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
If the moment when Mario almost eats a Metal Blade in Megaman's reveal is any indication of anything, we may be seeing Coin Mode make a comeback.XD

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm honestly fine with the two modes we have. Why tamper with perfection?
Who said anything about Tamper? I mean just adding more modes. To be honest, playing Stock or Time gets pretty boring after a bit even with items. So I think having a king of the hill mode, or a carry the crown mode would be really fun.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Who said anything about Tamper? I mean just adding more modes. To be honest, playing Stock or Time gets pretty boring after a bit even with items.
I suspect many people might disagree with you on that point. :p

Anyways, I'd just rather not see the team waste resources on modes we don't need when other areas of the game could surely use some more attention. Some kind of 3v1 mode might be interesting, though.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Anyways, I'd just rather not see the team waste resources on modes we don't need when other areas of the game could surely use some more attention. Some kind of 3v1 mode might be interesting, though.

I'm not saying that stock and time aren't fun, I'm just saying that they are really basic. I know many people want the new smash to be purely fighting game. Even though I want 70% of the game to be fighting, I want the other 30% to still be a great drinking/party game. Having these modes would really spice up the different things you could do in the game.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman

Just FYI, we can already do that in Brawl and Melee by keeping 3 people to the same color and one person switching.XD

nessokman

Smash Lord
I would like king of the hill. I'd like a big tree state where the point is to reach the top and hit the bell before the other guy ( knocking each other off of course)

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I would like Bonus Mode to return from Melee. That was fun to try every now and then.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Who said anything about Tamper? I mean just adding more modes. To be honest, playing Stock or Time gets pretty boring after a bit even with items. So I think having a king of the hill mode, or a carry the crown mode would be really fun.

YES! This! :D

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I play coin battles....

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
YES! This! :D
I know right? Just imagine how it would work. A crown or some other item spawns in the center of the map. Once you pick it up, you have to try to survive as long as you can with it. It takes 20% damage to knock off the crown. Who ever held the crown the most by the end wins!

Viewtiful-FX

Smash Apprentice
I kinda liked Coin Mode. I also like Survival mode where your damage carries over between matches. Brawl's adventure mode whose name escapes me was a pretty good distraction as well. Granted, it could use some improvements. Maybe make it so you pick your character from the outset(from a limited roster at first), with two seperate paths, heroes and villains. Better rewards, such as character skins(not just colors, but full fledged skins) or whatever. Also, Online play for the adventure mode.

Oh, and I know it's a kinda silly thing to ask for, but maybe some little button pressing mini-games for ****s and giggles like the minigames from Kirby Superstar:

To go back to the whole unlockable costume thing I mentioned above. Metaknight(if he's returning) needs the costume from that Samurai mini game, IMO.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
KoTH would be a really cool game mode, my only worry is that with 1v1 or 2v2 whoever got to the point first would have a huge advantage due to the nature of having the upper ground, unless your character has terrible downward moves.

I'd also like to see Stamina be moved from merely an option in Special Brawl/Melee and incorporated into the main multiplayer. Ever played a competitive Stamina match? It's pretty intense, the only problem with it as a more prevalent game mode would be projectile spammers.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I don't know if this qualifies as a different game mode or not, but I would like to see the ability to pick multiple characters for a stock match... Granted said matches should probably be limited to five stock or some such so that way you don't spend all day picking 99 characters.

I'm not sure how this would work with the smash character select screen, but I'm sure they could figure out something.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
juggernaut mode would work best

here's how i would want it to work:
only playable with at least 3 people
timed match
first person to get a KO becomes the juggernaut
you can only score points as the juggernaut (any kind of points, not just KOs and such, like a modified bonus mode)
only way to become the juggernaut is to KO the juggernaut
if juggernaut SD's, then he loses his status as the juggernaut and the next person to get a KO becomes the new juggernaut
time is only in effect for when a juggernaut is set

king of the hill could work too but i think a juggernaut mode would be awesome (especially since most of my friends are a lot worse than i am at smash sooo...)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I feel like this game could have ton of fun minigame modes. Off the top of my head:

-Volleyball played on flat variations of stages.
-Anti-gravity fighting where you fly around and swing aerials at each other.
-Tag team mode.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Tag Team Most definitely. I mean, Brawl's Subspace Emissary lets you use different characters (after dying you'd spawn as a different character). So why not implement that into the multiplayer?

I could totally see that being a legitimate tournament mode if people could choose different characters for each one of their stocks.

It'd be like Capcom vs SNK but Smash Bros style.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Tag Team Most definitely. I mean, Brawl's Subspace Emissary lets you use different characters (after dying you'd spawn as a different character). So why not implement that into the multiplayer?

I could totally see that being a legitimate tournament mode if people could choose different characters for each one of their stocks.

It'd be like Capcom vs SNK but Smash Bros style.
What you said would be fantastic.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I also like the idea of a tag mode. Make it a "Special" match type so that it can stack with either Time or Stock. They could give it the typical wacky Smash treatment and go crazy with it. Setting up a ~25-stock match, pitting one half of the roster against the other, for example. Imagine a Team Tag or FFA Tag variant, where all of the players are changing characters each stock. It'd be hectic, but very fun.

If a Tag Mode is implemented, I'd also like to see a similar take on a "Crew" Mode, where two players battle two other players in a 1v1 setting, switching control of the character every stock.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Some type of 2d football with Sandbag as the ball.
I'm partyally with this (if it works with Rayman Legends why not with SSB4?), eccept i'd like it being with the soccer ball that it's already in the game:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Stamina with stock would be great.

That idea about soccer is also pretty cool. I think sandbag would be better, as it functions more like a character than an item. Maybe it could be about knocking the sandbag off on the other team's half of the stage, rather than a goal area, which could be really tedious.

KotH would be interesting as well. Maybe there's just this little platform that a player has to stand on in order to steadily increase the amount of points he or his team has.

On a slightly unrelated note, Anybody else think the target test in brawl was really disappointing? I don't mind the whole "everyone plays the same stage" deal, but the design of the courses themselves just felt so uninspired.

Also.... Board the platforms was awesome.

Nyjeezy

Smash Rookie
HP!
But with a much higher limit than in brawl (Isn't it like 250 or something)
Uniform weight throughout the entire game
And when you get knocked off, instead of losing instantly, you take damage and come back.
Anyone? Anyone? :/

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Stamina with stock would be great.

That idea about soccer is also pretty cool. I think sandbag would be better, as it functions more like a character than an item. Maybe it could be about knocking the sandbag off on the other team's half of the stage, rather than a goal area, which could be really tedious.

KotH would be interesting as well. Maybe there's just this little platform that a player has to stand on in order to steadily increase the amount of points he or his team has.

On a slightly unrelated note, Anybody else think the target test in brawl was really disappointing? I don't mind the whole "everyone plays the same stage" deal, but the design of the courses themselves just felt so uninspired.

Also.... Board the platforms was awesome.
Why did the ever get rid of board the platforms anyway? Too much work as the roster expanded I guess. I didn't care for the new target test either, and I did mind the non-individualized tests. The old target tests felt like part of the character. Even if some of the Melee ones were a little odd... like Luigi's for example.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It's not out of the realm that Namco Bandai might create a new mode in special mode where they turn the game into a Tekken type fighter with no blast zones and flat stages.

Top Bottom