• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Faqs' Best. Game. Ever.

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1418]Game Faqs' Best. Game. Ever.[/drupal]

Whenever Game FAQs holds a contest, it usually ends up with Final Fantasy on one side, and Legend of Zelda on the other. Although I'll admit that last year's character battle was a surprise (L-Block Wins!?) but their previous Best Game Ever contest was no suprise. In the end it boiled down a fan war between the two most overrated games ever, OoT and Final Fantasy VII. No surprise there, and I expect the same exact thing out of this year. So I entered my bracket, going with my own opinion rather than popular choice, because I felt like it. The contest started today. And here's today's contestants.

4/7/09

Donkey Kong VS. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! VS. Space Invaders VS. Tetris.

1st: Tetris
2nd: Donkey Kong
3rd: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
4th: Space Invaders

I voted Tetris, as that was my favorite on the list. No doubt that the Retro Elitists are going to be all over this one.

4/8/09

Mega Man 2 VS. Pac-Man VS. Pong VS. The Oregon Trail

1st: Mega Man 2
2nd: Pac-Man
3: The Oregon Trail
4th: Pong

When I saw today's contestants, I want you all to know I couldn't have hit that Mega Man 2 button any faster than I did.

4/9/09

Duck Hunt VS. Galaga VS. Ninja Gaiden VS. Super Mario Bros.

1st: Super Mario Bros.
2nd: Ninja Gaiden
3rd: Duck Hunt
4th: Galaga

Today's was a no-brainer. I've played all of those and I voted Mario. I have no doubt that SMB is going to get the farthest out of those.

4/10/09

Dragonwarrior III VS. Contra VS. Metroid VS. The Legend of Zelda

1st: The Legened of Zelda
2nd: Metroid
3: Contra
4: Dragonwarrior III

I voted for Zelda, and man are Nintendo games taking the competition by storm!

4/11/09

Castlevania III VS. Civilization VS. Sonic the Hedgehog VS. Street Fighter II

1st: Sonic the Hedgehog
2nd: Street Fighter II
3rd: Civilization
4: Castlevania III

For the record, I voted Sonic.

4/12/09

SimCity VS. Super Mario Bros. 3 VS. Tecmo Super Bowl VS. Secret of Monkey Island

1st: Super Mario Bros. 3
2nd: Secret of Monkey Island
3rd: SimCity
4th: Tecmo Super Bowl

As I expected, Super Mario Bros. 3 is ruling today's bracket with an iron fist.

This thread will update as the competition does, expect a new list from Gamefaqs.com every day. To vote, go here.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
I voted for......
Mike Tyson`s
Punch Out! is the only fun one to me out of those.
And man is it amazing :D

D

Deleted member

I never understood what the big deal with DK was.

pokesmashfighter

Smash Cadet
Overrated?

You are trying to tell my that OoT and FF7 are

• BAD?!?!?!?!

• NOT GOOD?!?!?!?!
  • UNFUN?!?!?!?!
  • OVERRATED?!?!?!?!
Get out of here, and stay far, far, far away and tie yourself to a cross and stay there until you start having mirages of Link and Cloud repeatedly stabbing you in the chest.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Out of that list, Tetris is definetly the best

I could spend hours upon hours trying to stack them up prefectly to get the high score.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I can agree that OOT is overrated, but not bad.

Overrated doesn't = bad.

I'd say Donkey Kong out of the ones I've played at least. I never really liked Tetris that much.

edit: I skipped over Space Invader D: that would've it if I didn't read so fast. My bad.

finalark

SNORLAX
Overrated?

• BAD?!?!?!?!

• NOT GOOD?!?!?!?!
  • UNFUN?!?!?!?!
  • OVERRATED?!?!?!?!
Get out of here, and stay far, far, far away and tie yourself to a cross and stay there until you start having mirages of Link and Cloud repeatedly stabbing you in the chest.
Grow up, Pokesmashfighter. I played and beat both FFVII and OoT. I just thought that they were really overrated, that doesn't mean that I didn't like them.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Out of that list I'd say Space Invader's, but that's because I enjoy Columns and Puyo Puyo far more than Tetris.
I only played DK on SSBB's masterpieces, but I have played the first level years and years ago XD.
Never played or fancied Punch Out.

Overrated?

• BAD?!?!?!?!

• NOT GOOD?!?!?!?!
  • UNFUN?!?!?!?!
  • OVERRATED?!?!?!?!
OoT is over rated, but it is good.

Final Fantasy VII has terrible gameplay, and it's a step back from FFIV and presumably FFVI (well Jam tells us that's the best one lol). The story is it's redeeming feature once you get your head around it. You get limited to a 3 member party, you have to play as Cloud for the most part, a character with the social skills of a dodo, and one that I can't sympathise with. Do I care that Sephiroth is going around killing people to play such a flawed game?
No.
I sympathise more with Sephiroth than I do with the hero, something which shouldn't do. Then I pity myself for actually playing the game.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Looking at the list, I think in the end I'll be voting for either Super Mario Bros. or Duck Hunt for however long they last.

I would vote for Zelda, but to be honest when I played that game it annoyed me more than it entertained me. I never got interested in the first Zelda, but most others one I'm fine with.

Super Mario Bros. 1 (or maybe it was 3.. can't remember) was the first game I've ever played and I still really enjoy it to this day. The other ones I don't have many memories with or I've just never played.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
"Although I'll admit that last year's character battle was a surprise (L-Block Wins!?)"

L-block won 2 contests ago, LINK won the most recent one.

D

Deleted member

Voted for Oregon Trail since I despise Mega Man. Pong was in a close 2nd but Oregon Trail was just plain pimp.

pokesmashfighter

Smash Cadet
I think you guys misunderstood me. I am by no means obsessed with FF7. It is not even my favorite RPG. One of my favorites, yes, but I don't think it is perfect. Finalark, All I ask to know is why you think it's BAD. I can understand it not appealing to you, or just not being your kind of game, but why do you ever-so-patriotically HATE FF7 and all who like it? Not to mention the brilliant music, Great charatars (But it needs more Vivi), and as far as PSX goes, Good graphics. Not normal, but GOOD graphics. So please explain your burning passion for destroying FF7 and all of it's fans. If you just explain, I can just drop all of this.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think you guys misunderstood me. I am by no means obsessed with FF7. It is not even my favorite RPG. One of my favorites, yes, but I don't think it is perfect. Finalark, All I ask to know is why you think it's BAD. I can understand it not appealing to you, or just not being your kind of game, but why do you ever-so-patriotically HATE FF7 and all who like it? Not to mention the brilliant music, Great charatars (But it needs more Vivi), and as far as PSX goes, Good graphics. Not normal, but GOOD graphics. So please explain your burning passion for destroying FF7 and all of it's fans. If you just explain, I can just drop all of this.
Grow up, Pokesmashfighter. I played and beat both FFVII and OoT. I just thought that they were really overrated, that doesn't mean that I didn't like them.
That is what I said in reply. I never said that I hate FFVII. All I ever said was that it was overrated. Okay, because you seem so hellbent on getting my opinion on Final Fantasy VII here it is.

Final Fantasy VII is average, run of the mill, nothing out of the ordinary. I'll admit that I liked the materia system, but not much else. I found Cloud to be an emotionless prick, Yuffie to be an overactive little ****, and while it was amusing at first, it became rather annoying how Cid and Barret used swear words the way normal people use commas. The story also had more holes in it than Swiss Cheese. And why do I have more sympathy for Sephiroth than any of the other main characters? And I have to say that the three party-members thing feels really limited. But regardless, I found Final Fantasy VII to be an amusing little game that had a number of issues that kept me from really enjoying it as much as I could have.

There, I hope you're happy.

EDIT: And by the way, the game's soundtrack wasn't that good either.

D

Deleted member

New poll is a no brainer. I don't know how anyone could choose anything other than SMB.

LSDX

Wah!
I bet everyone here knows of at least one person who says FF7 is the greatest Final Fantasy of them all and are fully obsessed with it. I know a few people with the same mindset, and I asked her if she's played and beaten FF1-6. Her response, "Pfft, I played for about 5min, they were too hard."

Picture a weeaboo who is lovesick over cloud, adores Kingdom Hearts just b/c Cloud and FF7 references are in it, and claims FF7 is the greatest thing that ever happened to man.

How do you reason with it? The world may never know...

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Picture a weeaboo who is lovesick over Sephiroth, adores Kingdom Hearts just b/c Sephiroth and more Sephiroth references are in it, and claims Sephiroth is the greatest thing that ever happened to man.

How do you reason with it? The world may never know...
Fixed.

Because Weaboos don't like Cloud. They like Sephiroth.

Wait, that's fangirls...

I still think the main characters of the Tactics series were the best main characters. And Zidane.

finalark

SNORLAX
Fixed.

Because Weaboos don't like Cloud. They like Sephiroth.

Wait, that's fangirls...

I still think the main characters of the Tactics series were the best main characters. And Zidane.
Kekfa was still a better villain than Sephiroth. And Vivi was a much cooler character than Zidane. But if you're talking about THE main character in Final Fantasies, my favorite would have to be Zidane.

D

Deleted member

I've only played Final Fantasy 3 and 10 so I have no idea who these people are besides Cloud.

Top Bottom