• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch matchup

Frostyy

Smash Rookie
I'm really struggling in this one. G&W severely outranges and outprioritizes me and I'm not sure what options I have. Falcon's Nair and jab gets CC'd real easily and Falcon cannot grab G&W if he is crouching at all, all of which leads to a nasty Dtilt or some kind of punishment. I don't really know how to approach G&W because of this. Baiting and punishing is tough since G&W covers himself with his neutral B attack and his Fair is extremely aggressive and quick, making it difficult to intercept. He has fairly decent mobility too with a good wavedash and short hop, also seems to tech chase Falcon really well and safely thanks to his powerful Nair and Fair. G&W also has a lot of lingering attacks that generally outprioritize all of Falcon's attacks. And if Falcon gets knocked off the stage it's pretty much a stock lost. It's not difficult at all to get Falcon up to 50%+ with just an up throw, Utilts and an aerial and then knocking him off the stage with something like the Fair or Nair. G&W just sits on the ledge and Dtilts which effortlessly KO's me.

I know I'm a pretty awful player, but this matchup in particular is getting to me since it seems that nobody really considers G&W a threat. I can't really find much info regarding the matchup. The Falcon/G&W sets I've watched are mostly similar to the way my battles go. Really, I'm at a loss. I thought I would make a thread about it. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'll try to get a set recorded with Dakpo in this MU. I usually play Marth or Fox against him, but I think Falcon could do OK. It's decently hard like you said: G&W buffs are not to be taken lightly lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah it's probably slightly G^W's favor right now. I'm wondering if 3.0 will change either character, would be interesting to look out for

GeZ

Smash Lord
Last I checked this one was a bit in G Dubs favor on account of the aforementioned points as well as his ability to chain grab Falcon for years. I think it's just Uthrow but he can do that **** til the cows come home and die of old age.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's Fthrow as well. The buffs/changes to Fthrow are a problem for Falcon because he can't DI out of it basically, and it sets up for even easier juggles/hammers than Uthrow.

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's Fthrow as well. The buffs/changes to Fthrow are a problem for Falcon because he can't DI out of it basically, and it sets up for even easier juggles/hammers than Uthrow.
So you should counter pick stages with platforms and pray? I think the matchup isn't terrible as Falcon can slap GnW around pretty well. I'm rusty on the matchup but if I remember correctly GnW gets juggled pretty well. Am I off?

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Project M 3.0 Dakpo (GnW) vs MrButterFuzz (CF) Friendlies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYO9BTtwbM

Your play is looking really solid. You just need to respect the spacing on G&W's fair/bair/dtilt more, and be patient. Whenever G&W gets you in shield/close range, your #1 priority should be to escape and resume spacing. G&W has a massive advantage in those situations and you got punished again and again for trying to contest it with shield grabs/OoS aerials. Notice most of the stocks you took were the result of you staying outside his range and baiting him into committing. Avoid committing to shffled aerial approaches in the hope that he runs into them/doesn't react properly. Quality over quantity. Don't commit unless an opening presents itself. Oh, and stop doing aerial falcon kick on-stage.

Yeah it's not a great match-up but it certainly looks winnable. Falcon is no stranger to getting comboed to hell and back. Just don't get hit. :)

D

Deleted member

I played Dakpo and a really good GnW (&Y) last night. I'd have to say GnW has the advantage in the matchup more than Falcon.

Top Bottom