• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gale Guarding *New Technique*

Skler

Smash Master
Good players know how to shield, dodge, or dash with the gale (making them travel extremely fast). It is not hard to use the returning boomerang against Link or simply shield it to avoid being pulled. Believe me on this one, good players will not allow any tricks involving the returning boomerang to work against them (chances are they will make it work against you).

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
So then most of the people I have played on wifi aren't good players? It works so far

SSBB

Smash Cadet
So all in all, based on my original topic starter post, the Gale Boomerang could directly/non-directly pull and enemy to their death.

Gale Guarding? The opposite of Guarding Edge Guarders with Link?

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Yes it could, and I am basing my system of play off it. I have a way to stop people fro sheilding it too... it's a secret until the MLG contest is over.

SSBB

Smash Cadet
So I think we should christen it Gale Guarding. It points out exactly waht it does. Uses the GB to stop Edge Guarders.

Quarter

Smash Cadet
I imagine you could but an up b on their part would, in most situations, let them get back on the stage.

SSBB

Smash Cadet
But the thing is, Gale Guarding doesn't neccessarily have to be used to kill the oppoennet, just allow you to get back onto the stage with more ease. While they are recovering, they can't edgeguard.

clouddude345

Smash Rookie
After playing around with link for several hours and getting accustomed to the gale boomerang I find it to be a great mind game tool at links disposal. the projectile is not limited to just pulling opponents too link but when spaced correctly will result in a push that I have learned to use as a useful edge guarding tactic that doesn't require me to place link in a bad position trying to meet returning opponents with a aerial attack.

This takes practice and a bit of it mind u to get the spacing down but it has more than once kept my opponents from returning to the ledge of the stage safely.

Another use I have found for the boomerang is to set up had to pull off moves such as links F smash more frequently which i successfully pull off more often on good opponents than u would think.

pull bomb --> throw boomerang at ground (so that it avoids contact with opponent but will pull him upon return) --> throw bomb as opponent attempts to use ure boomerang to approach and punish u ---> F-smash flailing burning opponent hurtling towards u couhht by ure gale boomerang to his imminent doom.

Now this is a great use for the boomerang but I also use it to allow me to grab my opponent or force a hasty approach. the boomerang is a double-edged sword but can catch many people offguard and is only limited by a player's imagination.

Ps. sorry about typo's typed this kinda fast and haven't slept much lately.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Awww... someone found my technique. I guess I'll write a guide on it. I have tonsa clips too... MINE! ... I guess I'll release them...

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Yeah, but there are ALOT of people on wifi that are not good. I mean ALOT.
This is true. I'd say I kick about 90% *** over wifi, I'm guessing that's because everyone just pales in comparison to my awesome skill, I don't know. I do know that a lot of ****ty players that play wifi don't have accounts here (or most don't) so they have no real intention of becoming a worthy adversary. But whatever, maybe its just fun to beat on terrible opponents.

Sirius168

Smash Rookie
Off adventuring with Link in either Termina or Hyr
This is true. I'd say I kick about 90% *** over wifi, I'm guessing that's because everyone just pales in comparison to my awesome skill, I don't know. I do know that a lot of ****ty players that play wifi don't have accounts here (or most don't) so they have no real intention of becoming a worthy adversary. But whatever, maybe its just fun to beat on terrible opponents.
Those are probably noobs who havent been playing Smash Bros since the 64 version. Sorry if im wrong

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
You are wrong, since anyone who hasn't been playing this game obsessively doesn't deserve to play this game. Get out.
Wow, that's a pretty authoritive statement. But I'm gonna have to go with Sirius on this. And just because somebody doesn't deserve to play the game, doesn't mean they aren't going to. But you wouldn't believe how many noobs there are on wifi trying to spam a single move like they did in the 64 days. Oh boy, it's actually funny to watch sometimes. Other times you just get filled with alot of :mad:

HiIH

Smash Lord
Actually the pull for the Gale Boomerang in the AIR is pretty significant. It'd probably be best for forcing people to use their full recoveries, or killing a squirtle, Marth, DDD, Charizard, Falcon, or anyone else whose Up+B can be pushed backwards away from the ledge. Might be a better alternative than trying to roll anyway.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The pull in air is much more so than on the ground.
I remember a Charizard made the mistake of trying to ^B to the ledge and the boomerang yanked him away from the ledge and killed him..

The push of the boomerang also works right as the boomerang stops moving forward. granted its not as great as its pull but in the air its useful, timing needs to be exact.

@frozenfire: Ignore aurashade, he acts like that way cause its the interwebz.

Mido02

Smash Apprentice
wow so its not only me who noticed that the Gale Boomerang is Ike's worst enemey!!

I was versing my frend and he is a really gud Ike player and he got me flying off the stage, but I wasnt done for so I tried coming back on2 the stage. automatically my frend moves to the edge of the screen and since i wanted 2 land where he wuz standing I threw my Gale Boomerang to get him out of the way. He then dodges it and starts to charge his fowardB but to his suprise my Gale Boomerang returned pushing him off the stage and when he finally noticed what has happened he could do nothing but let go of B and fall 2 his death while I returned to the stage unharmed!! even tho this was total fluke it does seem possible(especially on Ike) but becuz of this I will be using the Gale Boomerang upon recovery more often now. ahaha from time 2 time I keep mentioning what happened 2 my frend and of how he HATES the Gale Boomerang becuz of that. :)

D

Deleted member

I only find this useful while edgeguarding ness or lucas

seriously the gb is a terrible weapon, if it wasnt second nature to use the boomerang as an approach like in melee, i'd use the arrows a lot more

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
I only find this useful while edgeguarding ness or lucas

seriously the gb is a terrible weapon, if it wasnt second nature to use the boomerang as an approach like in melee, i'd use the arrows a lot more
I'm stuck in the same situation. But the arrows can't pop the opponent up like the Melee boomerang did. The new boomerang makes me sad:(

Aurashade: I couldn't stop playing this game if I tried. By "this game" I mean smash bros in general, because I could easily walk away from Brawl and go back to Melee. I think I is addicteds :lick:

Aurashade

Smash Ace
Well, here's the thing, the gale boomerang allows you to completely annoy the hell out of opponents (by this I mean missing on purpose and use the GB to push/pull randomly to make them think you're new to the attack) and it gives you time to think of something better. It gives link an edge over most other characters, and is in no means a terrible weapon. Not to mention you have to take into consideration that his is the only self-equipped weapon that can push and pull people very easily (assuming you're like me and you master it).

Aurashade

Smash Ace
Ah, so the Aurashade is a master of the boomerang? Teach us the ways, oh mighty boomerang warrior. I is eager to learn.
ahaha, I'll take that as a serious question and actually tell you something useful-I'll relate this to art as well (learning more is always good). I've been playing the smash bros. series for 8 years straight, like religiously I play it a lot. A few things you need to know of how to not only improve your GB tactics but your Link overall:

-Practice practice practice (I can't stress this enough now with online play, you now have no reason not to improve)

-Like in art (I'm an animator, so it applies) you have to always be trying your hardest, always pushing yourself to the limit in skill and work ethic, same goes for this game. You must always be open-minded (its odd coming from me, as most of you know me as the god-troll of the link boards, you know, me shutting down odd moves and such. But while being open-minded, you must also be logical, and know your area of skill well enough to interpret new moves and ideas).

-Last but not least (and I hope you've read all this useful stuff) the GB works as a mindgame in itself, being that no other character in the game has that sort of weapon, you must use, **** and over implement it to your advantage (but don't be predictable!). I play the GB as another form of link, mainly speaking, it will almost always be flying somewhere, even if to occupy space. The trick is to aim it either at the ground if they seem to predict it coming, or throw it into the air (to again, occupy space where you opponent would've gone) just to set up a dome of projectiles around your opponent, thus limiting various escape routs.

tl'dr well if you didn't read it all then **** you.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Ah yes, everything you have said is right and true. I agree. While I do still prefer the old boomerang for the sake of comboing, the GB is indeed helpful for making your opponent think.

I thought I was about to make an epic discovery last night with the GB and bombs, but to no avail. I figured since the GB also pushes and pulls items (very well) I thought about Z dropping a bomb into my returning GB. *sigh* but it doesn't work for some reason. Apparently bombs are immune to boomerangs.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
Ah yes, everything you have said is right and true. I agree. While I do still prefer the old boomerang for the sake of comboing, the GB is indeed helpful for making your opponent think.

I thought I was about to make an epic discovery last night with the GB and bombs, but to no avail. I figured since the GB also pushes and pulls items (very well) I thought about Z dropping a bomb into my returning GB. *sigh* but it doesn't work for some reason. Apparently bombs are immune to boomerangs.
It seems through my own vicious style of posting I may have overlooked your ability and common knowledge of posting competence, I congratulate you in your victory, sir.

Also, they made it so that bombs cannot now conflict with your own projectiles, you can't reflect your own bombs off each other (yes I used to do this) and you can screw with the bombs direction with the gale boomerang, although it'd be a pretty cool idea.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
It seems through my own vicious style of posting I may have overlooked your ability and common knowledge of posting competence, I congratulate you in your victory, sir.

Also, they made it so that bombs cannot now conflict with your own projectiles, you can't reflect your own bombs off each other (yes I used to do this) and you can screw with the bombs direction with the gale boomerang, although it'd be a pretty cool idea.
Well thank you sir Aurashade, your complement and acknowledgement is appreciated. And just for public knowledge, I also threw bombs into each other for the sake of raining bombs. But no more:urg:

So how does anyone here "gale guard" against opponents? I've tried throwing the GB softly in the opposite direction and aiming it accordingly on the return, and I've also tried falling below the ledge and throwing it into the stage for the faster return, but in which case said GB can only go downwards. Is it simply situational? Or is there a choice that is better than the other(s)?

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Gale guarding is highly circumstantial, unlike wind walking. Now what we need to do is to find a way to force people into positions where we can use it and have it continuously work

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
You can throw the boomerang off to the opposite side of the stage and jump over it when it is almost towards you to have it go off the edge at the opponent. They can be coming in at any direction, it just has to hit.

Top Bottom