• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gale Guarding *New Technique*

SSBB

Smash Cadet
I know this may sound like a silly question to some. But, as a kamikaze precaution (as in, you're dying and want to take your enemy with you) is there any way to throw you boomerang and pull your enemy to their death? Just posing the question, but I doubt it'll work...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I doubt it. Even if you can pull them off the stage, I'm sure they can still recover afterwards.

kai123

Smash Cadet
Yes this is possible,i did this on someone not paying attention,he got underneath the little edge of final destination and wasn't able to recover,so it's probably not gonna work if your opponent is paying attention.

I'll post a vid here as soon as it's up.

kai123

Smash Cadet
Sorry won't do,it's not my fault someone else already stole my (not so)original nick name,which was obviously just "Kai".

you should aim it at someone next time,so people don't get confused about who you are talking to next time ^^.

Prime Time

Smash Apprentice
Actually it stands for Super Saiyan Bio Brolly, it's just a funny coincidence. I've been using this name on other forums since before Brawl was even announced.
QFT

i thought of DBZ before brawl too ironically.. maybe bc i was playing it on the wii >_>

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
ok, i'v been dying to post this somwhere and didn't wan't to make a whole thread on this so i'll do it here cause it's titled gale boomerang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtPHYMo6O-w

ok, go there and at the very end, look at the boomerang with motorcycle. it knocks wario off and shoots his bike across the screen. think about that for messing with wario's recovery. pretty cool, right?

Sliq

Smash Master
Actually it stands for Super Saiyan Bio Brolly, it's just a funny coincidence. I've been using this name on other forums since before Brawl was even announced.
Unfortunately, that name is even worse.

At least you aren't mariofan65 or hylianhero67. Serious, have some creativity for fux sake.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
it probably won't work
your enemy will still lurk

this thread isn't about that question. its just those guys arguing and posting stuff

BOTA

Smash Apprentice
maybe if you are off the edge, throw the boomerang, then grab the edge, it could maybe pull them too far away to recover with you edge guarding?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wait, did anyone mention making the Gale Boomerang return to you so that it goes off stage and pushes someone away from the stage? I'm told that works VERY well if you can aim.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Hasn't anyone noticed that in a lot of Link videos, while the GB isn't useful (at least now) for killing your enemies, it seems to almost always cause the opponent to wiff their next attack by blowing them backwards? I seem to see that a lot as far as videos go. Maybe it could be a defensive weapon when it returns and not an offensive one?

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
Does the pull of the GB get affected by the weight of your target? Also, could you use it in team games to help your partner recover by pulling them back towards the stage? I could see this being helpful in a Link/Olimar or Link/Ivysaur team.

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
That's a pretty good amount of pull in that video. Maybe it would be useful in those teams I mentioned, though it seems like it'll just be a minor annoyance for your opponents.

TeenLink2D

Smash Cadet
What I want to know is if you can still grab in battle while the enemy is blocking. If so then maybe you can throw the Gale at the person and on it's way back, the enemy will block.(Assuming they don't jump) Then while their doing that, grab them and combo them.

t3x510

Smash Rookie
Does the pulling effect self-activate or can it be manually done? I ask this because some of the time the boomerang doesn't even pull the person.

I was told you could hold A but I haven't had a chance to give it a shot.

What do ye make if dis?!

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
The Gale Boomerang doesn't pull at all if they A. block or B. dodge. It hardly pulls them anyway. I haven't had a look at the video posted above, but the GB pulls the best when the the opponent is in the air.

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
I don't have a video of this but I've noticed in dinking around in training mode that the boomerang can consistently take someone from any edge camp spot off the edge. The pull is based on their position in the tornado, so if they're in the top (like say if the boomerang is angling down under them) they get pulled much farther than if it hits them on a level slope.

Tentative strategy vs edgeguarding: tether the edge then edge hop and b-stick a boomerang down behind the edge guarder and tether the edge again. The Gale should pull the enemy off the stage and if they hesitate at all you can let go of the edge, footstool off of them and get back up knocking them to their death.

This would be extremely hard to pull off and has two noteable weakpoints, which are the beginning of your edge hop and it fails if they dodge the boomerang or jump immediatly upon falling off the edge. If they "see what you did there" they could potensially footstool off you. But it's just a thought.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
If you can throw the boomerang so that the gust hits the enemy but not the actual boomerang, then they get a small push which I don't think resets the 3rd jump. Pretty much impossible to pull off on will. Too much room for error. If you can do this consistently against a good opponent, please contact me

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
it would probably take alot of practice and be difficult to pull off, but I guess I'll look into it a little more. I dunno if it's worth knocking the person a couple feet away (game size) when you can just hog the edge all for yourself.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
The funny thing is that, if you could actually manage to pull someone off the edge while you were falling to your doom, you might save yourself by FSJ-ing them. ^_^

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe I actually did it. Accident of course. I didn't get the kill, the person who hit him got it. Annoying but it works well vs Ike

I was able to pull kirby off the stage when he was a block. Dumb spammer. Well kirby is ideal to pull off the stage with the gale boomerang since he falls so fast. I got the kill for that one ^_^

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
wow that sounds really random lol. Other guy was probably out to lunch when it happened. Great for laugh value tho, too bad it wasn't recorded :(

woot 100th post:)

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Gale boomerang is now the official Ike killer. When he charges his B right near the edge, just knock him off by hitting him with the wind and not the boomerang itself. He is in for a nasty surprise when he is forced to use his B right and runs right into the bottom of the stage. XD I have a replay if anyone wants it.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Ya sorry, I decided to save the footage for the Dr. Pepper MLG Contest. You'll see it then. I have a ganon combo which KILLS Ike if you want to see that. It's not as wanted as Wind Walking

Skler

Smash Master
Just gunna toss this out there, any good player can jump into the gale and use it come towards you while performing an attack. The gale boomerang's non-damaging part provides no stun and can be abused by skilled opponents with any knowledge of Link. That is all.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
The beauty of that is that link's smash overrides smashes of characters with a weapon. At least I think it did that in melee

Top Bottom