• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W vs Fox Vids (help?)

Galt

Smash Journeyman
The thing about G&W vs. Fox is that you can't win. Can't do it. Doesn't happen.

But if you hypothetically wanted to try to win anyway, I'd consider a few things:

1) If you're approaching with G&W, you're doing something wrong. Think of G&W as being similar to Ganondorf. It's true, you have a big flashy f-air. I bet your friends get hit by it a lot. But even your bad friends can punish it when then figure out how to use their shield, and imagine what that means when you fight good people. But G&W's shield sucks and he can't take hits, so playing defensively isn't good, either. So what can you do?
2) Fake it. Everyone knows G&W is terrible and his f-air is super-easy to punish. So use that. Throw out a SHFFL'd f-air that stops just in front of your opponent. He sees it coming. It misses. He feels so smug, and he rushes in to capitalize. Only G&W isn't *that* terrible, and he recovers, and you punish the reckless approach. How?
3) Don't rely on d-tilt. It's a great move. But it leaves you vulnerable from above, and everyone knows that. If I play Fox against G&W, my first plan is to full-hop n-airs all over him, because I know he wants that d-tilt, and I can just go over it. How about jab first? G&W's jab is super-fast. It stuns well, and you recover soon enough to follow up. If he sees the grab coming, charge a smash. If he learns that trick and rolls, chase him. But if you're slow on the prediction, abort immediately. Why?
4) Play hit-and-run. You can't actually beat Fox in a close encounter. You've got combos, but he doesn't need them--you die at 60% or to a single shine-spike. Some people think that G&W's ability to chaingrab Falco means he counters Falco, and that's seriously ********. Because Falco has a d-air, and that's all he needs to beat G&W. One move. Over and over again. Combos into itself, and serves as a kill move. So with G&W, you hit, and you get out of the way. Better yet,
5) Combine hitting and running away. Your moves are kinda slow, but they're huge and they have priority and they hit pretty hard. So hit, and get out of there, but while you're getting out of there, throw in a move. Remember that part about playing like Ganon? Use retreating f-airs all the time. It looks like you're not camping. But you are. If you're not playing a smart Fox, you can easily use his speed against him, because he won't be able to control well enough to avoid your moves. If he's above, hey, you've got n-air. But you can't hope to kill with just the occasional hits. So when you get him off the edge, you'd better be able to
6) Edgeguard like a champion. In your third match, you grab Fox near the edge, and you b-throw him off. That's your moment. What did you do? You stood there. Sure, he double-jumped into a silly n-air, but other Foxes won't do that. What do I do? The first time, I jump out there and I keyspike him. Maybe he'll recover. Maybe he won't. But next time, he'll be scared of that keyspike. (By now, you should know that throwing the spacies off the stage is the way to beat them.) So next time you throw him off, he's going to DI the throw away from you--and you chase him out there with a f-air and take advantage of his bad DI to gimp him. I guarantee that setup will work on your bad friends. So basically, when you get Fox off the stage, at least one of you had better die. If you die, eh, you're fighting Fox--you were probably about to die anyway. But if he dies, you get to make fun of him for losing a stock to G&W. And if you both die, keep in mind that any stock trade with Fox is a good trade. I don't care what kind of lead you had. Go Tassadar on his every time, because he only needs one shinespike to kill you anyway. And one more thing:
7) Empty jumps. Everyone knows you're going to f-air. So jump at him, only... do nothing. And f-smash when you land, so when he shieldgrabs nothing, you hit him. Then do those other things.

And that's how I'd beat Fox with G&W, if it were ever possible to do so.

Also, I haven't posted on this board in like two years, but I got bored. Congratulations.

Top Bottom