• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Hola, I just decided to main G&W after about 2 months of trying to decide between pika, falco, oli and G&W. And I was just hoping someone will help me out with something. I really dont know any good G&W players to watch and learn from so if you guys could just drop some names that would be awesome :D. And if you guys are gonna be ***** its just gonna make me like G&W boards that much more. Also and advice for me would be awesome, thanks :D

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Yeah I watched UTD Zac those up air mind games are insane. I've seen some videos were like wolf used his up B side ways towards G&W and G&W did something and just got a kill on him without even touching him and wolf was at 60%. Or with marths side b, Marth somehow just slid all the way off of the stage and died at like 5%. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
I've seen something similar only happening with link's boomerang when it's coming back. U-air might be able to do it, but the situation would be nearly impossible since marth would have to be on the very edge of the stage using DB, you'd have to be under the lip facing away and using u-air like right under him. And it still probably wouldn't work.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i don't want to seem like some kind of mini mod or jerk.__.
but it's clear as day if you actually looked at the stickies lol...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172368- top G&W player videos

and use the Q&A thread next time ploxerszofmsos=)

asking for just "advice" is kinda broad >.<
you're going to get the usual
space fair and bairs well
don't be too aggro kinda stuff lol

you can PM me if you evah need help
i knows enough;

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
To sum it up in one sentence, you have to know how to play really fast with G&W.

He takes a high learning curve in high level play. You have to have intimate knowledge of baiting, and knowing when to throw out pokes. It's important to learn to not be limited by G&W's best spacing moves alone, but to also learn to use his fast moves to get inside range. Don't spotdodge mindlessly, since the only reason to spotdodge with G&W is to get grabs since the rest of his options are kinda too slow or aren't GOOD enough to warrant the risk of spotdodging. Jab canceling is a must with G&W, as well as Bucket Braking, and learning to use F-air and B-air out of shield is extremely valuable. If you can powershield a lot, then props to you, because G&W is basically benefits more than anyone else from powershielding (besides Luigi).

Oh yes, and juggle as much as possible. G&W is one of the safest and most powerful jugglers in the entire game, and learn to abuse charged Smashes since while his Smashes have high startup, they have quick releases, and they are safe on block.

In general though, G&W is a character who thrives on being on the move constantly.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
To sum it up in one sentence, you have to know how to play really fast with G&W.

He takes a high learning curve in high level play. You have to have intimate knowledge of baiting, and knowing when to throw out pokes. It's important to learn to not be limited by G&W's best spacing moves alone, but to also learn to use his fast moves to get inside range. Don't spotdodge mindlessly, since the only reason to spotdodge with G&W is to get grabs since the rest of his options are kinda too slow or aren't GOOD enough to warrant the risk of spotdodging. Jab canceling is a must with G&W, as well as Bucket Braking, and learning to use F-air and B-air out of shield is extremely valuable. If you can powershield a lot, then props to you, because G&W is basically benefits more than anyone else from powershielding (besides Luigi).

Oh yes, and juggle as much as possible. G&W is one of the safest and most powerful jugglers in the entire game, and learn to abuse charged Smashes since while his Smashes have high startup, they have quick releases, and they are safe on block.

In general though, G&W is a character who thrives on being on the move constantly.
Thanks a lot :D, I appreciate it! You have any advice on up air mind games?

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Once they start trying to air-dodge through the windboxes, n-air or f-air them in the downtime. Or if they're close to the ground and still air-dodging, you can probably get away with f-smash or tippered d-smash.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Baiting airdodges is a solid way of forcing Usmash KOs. Mix it up a lot is some seemingly simple advice I follow.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Once they start trying to air-dodge through the windboxes, n-air or f-air them in the downtime. Or if they're close to the ground and still air-dodging, you can probably get away with f-smash or tippered d-smash.
yeah thats mostly what I do. I've also seen that if someone is above you when you up b and your not in hit range they just go flying up as if your using up air.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Learn to buffer your attacks so you have as little downtime as possible. This is what separates great players from good players. You can see it in all the top players (M2K, Ally, Dojo, ADHD, Atomsk, etc). Being able to create a zone around your character that is safe for you, but doesn't look safe from their eyes, will get you lots of combos / kills.

Also, like PentaSalia said, check out the Video Thread in the sticky. I also consider this a "Ask a simple question, get a simple answer" type question, so ask in there next time please:

Ageold Theatre - Video Thread - I wish this was updated more often :(
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172368

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198739

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom