• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W for top tier?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Quite seriously, it's looking extremely possible to me. It's something I think he deserves, because he is such an awesome icon for Nintendo.

Why I think he looks like a top tier candidate (and G&W players, do disapprove of my statements if you can, since I am only going by my observations of what you guys are able to do):

1. All of his defensive holes have been literally fixed. His shield covers him, and attacks like his Down-smash push people further away. He can't L-cancel, but nobody can, so it's really not just his problem anymore.
2. His recovery is no longer bad. It is ****ing amazing. He can autosweetspot, or semi-stall with a Parachute, then dive alarmingly fast downwards with his D-air (becoming a pseudo fastfaller basically). It's mad unpredictable, and can really screw an opponent up since the D-air is a real threat.
3. He still has a LOT of killing strength. His F-smash and F-air are as good as ever. The D-smash appears to not just push people away farther, but it seems to vertically kill at lower percentages. His D-air even seems to kill at lower percentages in this game.
4. The Up-air has the wind effect if you miss, but has more knockback if you hit.
5. The D-tilt is bigger and sends people sideways, which sets up for ledgeguards better.
6. Actual setup from D-throw when nobody else in this game has reliable throw setups.
7. Screw the fact the Parachute is no longer a kill move. The Fishbowl is a much safer attack to use. G&W lacked an omnidirectional wall of priority last game that other characters have in their N-airs, but not this time.

Lastly, THE NINE IS SO MUCH MORE EPIC.

Seriously, is there anything G&W is really nerfed in? He seems to have just as much if not more KO potential in this game, and his defense options went from bad to really good (not changing the fact he's still lightweight, but DI works better in this game so he survives longer overall), plus he's probably one of the only characters that has grab setups. He really seems to have everything this time around.

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
i dont think he is fast enough nor has enough range to be top tier. his roll is slow, and a lot of his moves have long ending lag. most notable downgrade is to his fair. the move itself hasnt really changed, but with no l-cancel i would say it just has too much ending lag to be a safe approach. too risky, if missed or shielded it will be punished by a smash. however, he is worlds better than his melee counterpart, overall i would say mid-upper tier

§leepy God

Smash Master
Please, no more tiers. Wait until the Brawl comes out for the U.S. then talk about that. But overall, tiers are depressing to me.

chms

Smash Rookie
First i have experience playing brawl from a modded wii. I play with KDJ a lot, and with omega black knight(who plays gw as his main). GW is one of my two mains. between me and obm, i have seen a LOT of GW in brawl.

his forward air is great. it has so much more killing strength. i don't find that its recovery effects it much. when the move is out, if someone runs into it they get hit by it. if you short hop and quickly fair the recovery isn't very noticeable. however, if you do it too late, you can leave yourself open.

the up air is very useful in multiple situations. first, it hits twice, and has decent range damage and knockback. However i use it more for its secondary effect of pushing people above you up. you can suspend someone in the air indefenately. it throws off players so much. it also is a great setup for any of his other arials, as they reach the ground when you want them to, not when they want to.

the back air has improved as well. the turtle hits several times, with a final hit that has great knockback. it also has very high priority.

the fishbowl is, in my opinion, an improvement. although it lacks the killing power of the parachute, it doesn't take nearly as much time to deploy, and it does more damage (as it hits multiple multiple). the lack of significant knockback also makes it great to combo with. in addition, it doesn't have much recovery time.

His down air is awesome. It goes faster, and the recovery time is very low. it does good damage, and has great knockback. also, they kept the first three frames as a metor spike. in most stages, if you spike someone off stage after a normal jump, and immediately up b, you will survive.

his down throw now does not usually pop people up into the air, which is great if you use your down of ftilt immediately after. His charge is useful to pop people into combos with. his chair and flag (f and up tilts) are just as good as they were. his smashes have more killing power (especially his down smash as the op said).

all of these factors lead me to believe that he will see more and more high quality tournament play. he is a solid over all character. deffinately improved from melee.

Top Bottom