• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Furiousduffman's G&W vids (added one vs snake)

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Trying to step it up a lot. Any comments are appreciated.
All of El Paso's best are playing a lot more now and i will try to post more vids as time goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SIfffZ7iI Vs Marth, He is real good, will put vids later where he beats me.

Teams- Possible that might me my partner in tourneys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYZnk_7NPk&feature=channel_page-- Recommend this one if you are only going to watch one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwlECeYQsi8&feature=channel_page

NEW vid vs snake PLease rate, discuss!!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVMBA6BlVHc

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Cool music on your stages. Have you seen my new program to swap music around instead of having to come up with hex codes?
Link to thread. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221814

First link doesn't work. Use this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SIfffZ7iI

Watching vids, will post thoughts later.

EDIT:

You vs. Marth
* The first time you teched, you teched in place. The second time you teched, you teched in place. Never do the same thing twice.
* I noticed you do empty shorthops/fullhops while you are decently far away from the marth. Try filling them in with Nair instead. You can complete a nair in a shorthop without landing. And make sure you do this facing away from the opponent. See if you like it.
* Against Marth, be very very careful about using nair coming back up from the ledge. It's very easy for them to just shield and UpB out. I would advise against getting all the way up with a nair. You can toy with them below, just dont get all the way up.
* That one time you got up off the ledge with an airdodge and baited out Marth's UpB. Well done.
* Good use of bucket braking. I guess now you know G&W dthrow can lead to marth's UpB in your face, perpare to DI.
* Go watch the marth vid again and see what happens when you dair. It's not worth it against marth in my opinion. If you miss or hit his shield or he guess you'll dair, you get punished.
* Never approach marth if you are facing his direction. Mostly because your fair is crap against his shield / attacks. It happened a few times, just something to get used to against Marth.
* Try and be a little more patient. After your first stock you had a huge lead, then lost it trying to be aggressive.
* Also, if you know the marth is going to sideB you, make sure you have a full shield ready. If you shield the entire thing you can punish with an Fsmash. If you notice the marth pauses between the third and fourth attack of sideB, then try for a grab (dont try attacking) or something else. If you have a low shield, go run off the stage and refill it.

Not sure how many of these were just mistakes, or you just didn't know, or you were doing it on purpose to condition the marth. But overall good stuff. I like your G&W.

Teams Matches:
Don't care to say too much, but very nice. I like. If you are interested in my thoughts on teams and have time to read it all, go here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6469741&postcount=2

After watching the smashville match:
Talk to your teammate often and remind him to get the grab around 75-85% depending on the opponent's character. A grab is better than a kill move if YOU are fast enough to do a running upsmash. I prefer upsmash as the kill move instead of having to space a dsmash.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Trying to step it up a lot. Any comments are appreciated.
All of El Paso's best are playing a lot more now and i will try to post more vids as time goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SIfffZ7iI-- Vs Marth, He is real good, will put vids later where he beats me.

Teams- Possible that might me my partner in tourneys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYZnk_7NPk&feature=channel_page-- Recommend this one if you are only going to watch one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwlECeYQsi8&feature=channel_page
no offense dude, but you use the turtle too much, you have to suprise them, thats what i do, i mean in the marth 1 on 1 video

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
no offense dude, but you use the turtle too much, you have to suprise them, thats what i do, i mean in the marth 1 on 1 video
Let's count how many times he used the turtle: 20
Let's count how many times it was effective in doing something (like damage): 12 (EDIT: this should have been 12, not 1)
Let's count how many times he was punished: 1

Let's also count how many times it effectively conditioned the Marth for another setup: x (can't figure this one out =P)

Need I say more? <3 bair against Marth.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
UTD Zac thanks for the back up on the turtle lol. I love that thing. Its name is turtwig.

Thanks for all those points, some i know and some i didn't. I know you have experience with Dphat which i wish i would have played with G&W cause he thought it was good. I just leave the match for Wario all the time. Overall Those comments are really really good i will keep reading over and over and test them out

Rega12345

Smash Rookie
*based on you vs marth*

- Use chef and spam dtilt for edgeguard.

- I loved your aggression, though but it can b very predictable shffling bairs so mix it up with some dairs or a chef. OR you could even change your fighting style defensively abusing dtilt+chef then finishing with a fair.

-Use the Up B attack more often to lead out of your nairs. Against marth I think use more nair>up B than nair>uair. Up B has ridiculous priority.

- I think you know G&W grab game v well, also try grab down> dtilt, it's more reliable than grab Down> dsmash esp against chars like ike or marth. You can even try gdown> dash usmash, there were opportunities to use that

- You tend to use a lot of fast short hopping bairs, you could try experiment with:
double jump Bair>Fast fall>Bair(just b4 hitting ground) give him a lil shock!

-To further your aggressive play try G&W's super fast fall, Perform a UpB, AS soon as you reach the peak height Perform an a Bair/ Nair. That way G&W would drop like a lead weight simultaneously performing an aerial, this can vastly increase the attack range horizontally and a relatively safe approach. HowTo?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2N1nVwKg7M

- gj bucket braking!!

Overall your G&W was goodah.:lick:
I don't want to change you too much furiousduffman, I understand that many people have their own unique fighting style and have bad habits. I just like to give some helpful advice which I hope you take in consideration.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
on 1v1

nice use of turtle
you got most of them in
without damaging yourself
nice:)
more dtitl on the edge,that's all

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
to everyone: How exactly should i use dtilt? the times i used it in the match i got hit by a fair or a nair. I would give times of the vid but i cant because i am at work...

blizaaam

Smash Rookie
The thing is d tilt is a great move and you should use it more vs all characters pretty much except marth. When marth attacks a lot of the times he is in the air so he will just jump over and smack you one in the face. Use it but sparingly against marth. Thats just me though.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
well downtilt has a very nice range,as you can see:p
don't do it right next to them or you'll obviously get hit,do it as far as possible
dtilt is nice when you see that your opponent is going try and approach from front and you pop that out
i.e against MK,but it's a bit hard because of his speed:p
stop them dead at their tracks
but you have to be pretty quick about as you face better opponents

you can also use it on the edge,but not at the exact tip of the edge,spamming it,you'll get hit lol
works very well against characters likes marth
against rob i can see that edgeguarding with it,won't be very helpful :p
anyway it's based on my experiences

hope it helps

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Yeah you guys are mostly right, i had stopped using dtilt for no reason. I use it a lot vs mk. Isn't marths dolphin slash too fast for the dtilt though?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
dolphin slash?
not sure what you mean =/
but some of marth's attacks outrange dtilt on ground
that's why on the edge is best

cemo

white walker
snake, huh?

careful with the d-tilt still, it clashes with snake's ftilt but the ftilt comes out faster. (not to say that you shouldn't use it, just be careful)

ALWAYS always watch for the uptilt, once you're at kill percentage. He got you with it on your first stock after you did something stupid.

SPACE BEARS. Space your bairs better, I noticed a lot of them you went in too deep, and, against a better snake, this is going to get you killed.

I noticed you double jumped alot, but I'll just assume this is to maneuver around the grenades and all that, since FD has no platforms. (I ban it against Snake) Still, double jumping doesn't really mix things up if you do it all the time.

Work on your upair/nair pressure and combos. This is vital against Snake (and other characters, too) Try getting him off the stage more, too, GaW has the tools to send him backout, and this is the best way to rack up damage.

uh that's about it, really.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
The snake vid

0:24- i wouldn't use utilt that much they're on the ground,especially against snake,you have to take advantage of every successful approach,and rack up as much dmg as possible lol

same thing as before,work on short hop bairs,you jumped too high

i notice you key downed on snake a number of times;/ and missed
you're lucky he didn't utilt,he could have killed you plenty of times lol

don't approach snake from top when you're over 100%
utilt=death
and try to avoid making you dairs obvious,or you'll be punished for it:(

oh and sometimes you can figure out when snake is going to do that sliding up and B attack
use dtilt lolz

overall nice game,good g&w:)

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Yeah i think that is what he meant. Man i played the same snake yesterday, dtilt locked him a whole stock and i still lost.... I know this match up is too hard but i really want to get good in it

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
"sliding up and B attack"? What do you mean by that? Do you mean mortarsliding? Unless Snake can now slide with grenades. Scary thought.
blarg,hard to explain-_-,not really familiar with the names of all of snakes attacks
i meant up and A,not up and B,my mistake

duffman, check out a few vids around here,for snake vs G&W
as you see,G&W pretty much has to space well the whole battle for the right approach

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I really don't know what to do against Snake, arg! He's so annoying

EDIT: After watching the vid: Just FYI, don't use dair against Snake. It really doesn't work. It seems he can always punish you out of it. In your video, for example, you weren't ever able to touch him with dair. I've watched some other vids with G&W vs Snake and the ratio of dair working in your favor is awful in all of them.

cemo

white walker
As an edgeguard if he recovers low... or if for some reason he's charging a mortar beneath you.

Noa.

Smash Master
Bucket braking is using Nair and then downB when you're knocked offstage. It stops all momentum and lets G&W live for a much longer time. It's a must-know tech for a G&W.

Top Bottom