• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Funky Kong's Pad (#RidetheWave)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So who's actually expecting Funky next Smash ? Cause I think he makes a strong case. And what would his move set be accordingly ?

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
So who's actually expecting Funky next Smash ? Cause I think he makes a strong case. And what would his move set be accordingly ?
Many, including myself expect Funky to be a DK echo, which I think makes a bit more sense than DK getting another fully unique character.

I suppose Funky would have different animations and use a surfboard as his recovery.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
I think he's got a strong case, myself.

As for his moveset, a lot to do with his surfboard since that's his bread and butter.

His midair normals being tricks for example, his FSmash being a swing from the board, an ability to hover like Peach (and while the board is out, it acts like Link's shield from below his feet), etc.

He's just someone I see "dance" like Sakurai puts it. Which is one of the biggest reasons I support him, honestly.

Many, including myself expect Funky to be a DK echo

At most, he would be an Isabelle, not a full Echo.

One of the key differences between DK and Funky is how Funky stands and walks upright like a sasquatch as compared to DK's Silverback gorilla style.

And in order for that, Funky would have to have shorter legs since an upright DK is too tall for Smash. So him using his Tropical Freeze proportions (which iirc include shorter legs and arms but a beefier torso; someone with access with models can verify) would work perfectly.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just wrote up my moveset for Funky Kong.
Intro: Funky’s intro from Mario Super Sluggers.

Stance/Idle 1: Funky Kong’s idle stance from Tropical Freeze.
Idle 2: Funky Kong looks behind his shoulders.
Idle 3: Funky Kong scratches underneath his armpit.

Notable Palette Swaps
  1. Default
  2. Donkey Kong Jr. (white; his tank top is embedded with a J)
  3. Lanky Kong (orange)
  4. Chunky Kong (blue)
  5. Diddy Kong (red)
  6. Candy Kong (pink)
  7. Kiddy Kong (cyan)
  8. Donkey Kong 64 outfit (special costume)
Walk: Funky Kong’s run from Tropical Freeze.
Dash: Funky Kong surfs on water.
Damage: Funky Kong’s damage animation from Tropical Freeze.
Jump: Funky Kong’s jump and double jump from Tropical Freeze.
Crouch: Funky Kong’s crouch from Tropical Freeze.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Funky Kong loosely mimics Donkey Kong’s jab
Forward+A: A horizontal surfboard swing
Up+A: Funky Kong performs an uppercut with a shaka sign
Down+A: Funky Kong pokes along the ground with his surfboard
Dash Attack: Funky Kong screeches to a halt while summoning a wave
Edge Attack: Funky Kong rolls forward
Get-Up Attack: Funky Kong quickly hops onto his surfboard and performs a 360o spin

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Funky Kong spins his surfboard around himself, creating a whirlpool
Air Forward+A: Funky Kong claps forward, emitting a shockwave
Air Back + A: A horizontal surfboard swing that turns Funky around
Air Up+A: Funky Kong flips upside down and spins multiple times
Air Down+A: Funky Kong performs a hand slap while riding his surfboard

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: An upwards arcing swing with the surfboard
Up+A: Funky Kong performs a handstand while striking upward with his surfboard.
Down+A: Funky Kong performs a flaming spin while riding the Flame Runner

Grab Game
Grab: Funky Kong grabs the opponent with one hand.
Pummel: Funky Kong slaps the opponent twice
Forwards+Throw: Funky Kong headbutts the opponent
Back+Throw: A giant swing
Up+Throw: Funky Kong stomps on his surfboard with his arms folded as the opponent is launched into the air
Down+Throw: A piledriver

Special Moves
B : Funky Beats
; Funky Kong pulls out a boombox. If he gets hit during his groove, the opponent who attacked him is forced to taunt without the ability to cancel. If the counter activates while the opponent is in the air, the opponent is instead paralyzed.
B + ←→ : Flame Runner; Funky Kong hops onto the Flame Runner motorcycle and blitzes forward, leaving behind a trail of azure flames with an aura effect. The flames deal small damage but don’t flinch any opponents. Press up while riding to do a wheelie that hits multiple times.
B + ↑ : Surf’s Up; Funky Kong rides upward on his surfboard, hitting multiple times. Press B while rising to cancel into Funky Beats, during which Funky lays on his side and surfs forward.
B + ↓ : Bootlicker; Funky Kong points a rocket launcher with a boot towards the floor, which propels himself into the air. When used in the air, Funky instead fires at a downward diagonal angle.

Final Smash: Kong POW; Funky Kong gets into a Jumbo Barrel and flies into the direction he’s facing, hitting a single opponent. If it connects, the opponent is taken into a cutscene based on Funky’s boss beat down from Tropical Freeze, instantly dealing a Star K.O. if the opponent’s damage exceeds 100%. After the initial attack, the Jumbo Barrel crashes onto the ground and explodes, hurting anyone within the radius.

Taunts
Up: Funky Kong squeezes a banana and eats the inside.
Side: Funky Kong performs a finger spin with his surfboard.
Down: Funky Kong polishes his surfboard with a banana peel.

Winposes
1: Funky Kong performs a variation of the Akira slide, followed by his 1st place animation from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
2: Funky Kong rides on his surfboard and jumps into the air, followed by a handstand.
3: Funky Kong beats his chest in excitement before folding his arms.

Applause: Funky’s last place animation from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, complete with sad-looking eyebrows.
Icon: DK’s initials
Boxing Ring Title: The Funkiest with the Monkiest
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/b1I9SgCFwZc?si=BZmaMcEudjkH5e7d&t=69
Victory Music: The opening notes of Funky Stadium
Kirby Hat: Funky’s Bandana and glasses (this changes to the one seen on Funky’s 64 outfit if Funky is wearing that)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess his poll validates the strangest result from mine.

Funky Kong is just generally an Uber popular character.

Top Bottom