• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fun Times - Rank the Sonic Games based on your preference

volbound1700

Smash Master
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - This is, IMO, a top 10 all-time game. It is an amazing game all around. Level Design, Boss Design, etc. The challenge really ramps up from Wing Fortress on.

2. Sonic Adventure - There is a lot to this game. I think it is the best Sonic 3D game (even over Sonic Adventure 2 which most would prefer). It still retains some of the old style thematically. The levels are really great although the after challenges are extremely hard. I do hate the fishing levels though.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - The original is still special to me. Not much to say here. Iconic music, boss fights, and level. No 2 player is really the only weakness.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Sonic & Knuckles - Although two different games, I think they are both very connected. Fun game overall but there are a couple of downsides - notably it is easy to get stuck in this one part of Carnival Night Zone level 2; the 2 player versus mode is pathetic in Sonic 3, and overall, both games are very short.

5. Sonic Lost World - I love this game overall. I know many say it is like Mario Galaxy, but the recipe is fun. The boss fights are good. The multiple player is great. I enjoyed powering through it. I consider it the second best 3D Sonic game.

6. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 Game Gear - Mostly due to Nostalgia. This was the first Sonic game that I played. I enjoyed every zone, special stage, etc. It is still one of my all-time favorite games.

7. Sonic Chaos - The ability to play Tails was a great addition. The levels are fun and it makes for a great platformer game.

8. Sonic Mania - I am still new to this game. I enjoyed it a lot although the boss fights got frustrating. There is some deja vu as explained in Generations above but it isn't as bad as they mixed in original levels as well.

9. Sonic Generations - I know, a major sacrilege. I debated putting it at #6. I enjoyed it but it feels like I have played this game before in many of the titles listed above.

10. Sonic Heroes - Interesting game play mechanic. It was a great game until you got to the Eggman fleet at the end. Too much frustration due to poor visibility and mechanics.

11 Sonic Adventure 2 - I know this one is very popular but I found the cut scenes cringe worthy. The Eggman/Tails levels were mediocre. I also wasn't super wild about the Knuckles/Rouge stage. I appreciate some aspects of this game and enjoyed my play through. The final battle is epic, but I just don't find it as good as the titles above it.

12. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Game Gear - I never owned this game so I didn't have a full chance to play it. I enjoyed what I saw but there just wasn't enough experience to put it higher

12 Sonic 3D Blast - This is a terrible game. Don't bother playing it.

Never Played List:

1. Sonic Colors - I think that I would have enjoyed this one
2. Any Sonic Game Gear game not listed
3. Sonic Blacknight\Secret Rings
4. Sonic 2006
5. Sonic Unleashed
6. Sonic the Hedgehog 4
7. Sonic CD
8. Sonic Boom Series

Honorable Mention

1. Sonic Spinball - I don't consider this a mainline platformer but I loved this game. It was challenging but unique. I also love the SATAM characters in the bonus stage. I would probably put it in the middle of the pact if I ranked it.

2. Sonic + Mario Olympic Games - I have the two original games for Wii (Summer + Winter) and I enjoyed both of them.

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
I've played every Sonic game imaginable except Boom/ 06/Chronicles/Labyrinth for obvious reasons, marathon-ed the big names, and my favorites thousands of times so I'm 100% sure on what I feel of the series.

Heres my 10 favorites list based on enjoyment:

1. Sonic 3&K
2. Sonic Mania+
3. Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure (On Completed Save)/ Colors DS
4. Sonic 2/1
5. Sonic Unleashed HD
6. Sonic Generations
7. Sonic Lost World HD
8. Sonic Advance 2
9. Sonic Advance/ Rush Adventures (On a Not Completed Save)
10. Sonic Pocket Adventure

Heres my 10 least favorites list based on not enjoyment:

1. Sonic Lost World 3DS
2. Shadow the Hedgehog
3. Sonic Heroes
4. Sonic Colors Wii/ Forces
5. Sonic Advance 3
6. Sonic 4
7. Sonic and the Secret Rings
8. Black Knight
9. Sonic Adventure/Adventure 2
10. Sonic Game Gear Games

Honerable Mention:

1. Sonic 4 Part 2
2. Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
3. Sonic Team Racing
4. Mean Bean
5. Sonic Boom Fire & Ice
6. Sonic Riders

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Top 10 favourites:
1. Knuckles' Chaotix
2. Sonic Mania
3. Sonic 3K
4. Sonic 2 (8-bit)
5. Sonic 2 (16-bit)
6. Sonic 1 (8-bit)
7. Sonic 1 (16-bit)
8. Colours
9. Gens Console (Modern stages)
10. Gens Handheld (Modern stages)

As for least, I REALLY don't like the Adventure games - don't let my Big icon fool you.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. Sonic Advance
  2. Sonic 2
  3. Sonic Adventure
  4. Sonic Advance 2
  5. Sonic 3/Knuckles
  6. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
  7. Sonic Generations
  8. Sonic 1
  9. Sonic 4 (episode 2 only. Hated the first episode)
  10. Sonic Heroes
Note: Never played Sonic Mania+, Sonic Rush or Sonic Colours which tend to be well received.

Actually really like spinoff titles including the often disliked Sonic R and Sonic Battle though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
YoshiandToad, Yeah I tried to not list the spinoffs in the full list. What is Sonic Advance? (Sorry for my ignorance).

I haven't played Sonic CD, Sonic 4, or Sonic Colors and all three are well received.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
YoshiandToad, Yeah I tried to not list the spinoffs in the full list. What is Sonic Advance? (Sorry for my ignorance).

I haven't played Sonic CD, Sonic 4, or Sonic Colors and all three are well received.
The Sonic games on the GBA, Sonic's first authorised Nintendo appearance.

Also, I wouldn't recommend CD, the level design is pretty weird, but it's free on tablets and phones so if you've got one there's nothing to lose

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
The Sonic games on the GBA, Sonic's first authorised Nintendo appearance.

Also, I wouldn't recommend CD, the level design is pretty weird, but it's free on tablets and phones so if you've got one there's nothing to lose
Ah, I am not counting remakes of old games. Is Sonic Advance a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog 1?

volbound1700

Smash Master
No, that's Sonic Genesis. Advance is the one pretty much every Modern Sonic fan game uses sprites from
Ah, it is a separate game of its own. Interesting. I thought it was like the Super Mario Bros Advance series where they are basically remakes of old titles. It sounds interesting. I don't have a GBA. Do they sale it for the Switch?

Kaisser

Smash Rookie
I've played a good chunk of Sonic games, though I can only think of a top 5 in terms of personal favorites.
1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
2. Sonic Colors
3. Sonic Generations
4. Sonic Adventure 1
5. Sonic Mania

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Sonic Adventure 2
2. Sonic Mania
3. Sonic Generations (PC)
4. Sonic 2
5. Sonic Adventure
6. Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
7. Sonic and the Black Knight (Yeah it's a weird one, but I do really like it)
8. Sonic Generations (3DS)
9. Sonic 1
10: Sonic 06 (I don't think it's good, but I have a lot of fun with it and that's what matters)

And my top five fangames:
1. Sonic GT
2. Sonic Robo Blast 2
3. Sonic Galactic
4. Sonic Project 06
5. Sonic Versus Darkness

Also...
I don't have a GBA. Do they sale it for the Switch?
Unfortunately no. For whatever reason Sega is afraid of porting Sonic games to modern consoles, which is a load of BS if you ask me. But if you have a DS you can play the three Advance games and Sonic Battle, plus Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and Sonic Colors DS (basically Rush 3.)

Last edited:

M00NCHILD

Smash Rookie
here's my list, which I personally played

1. Sonic 3 и Knuckles
2. Sonic Generations
3. Sonic Colours
4. Sonic Adventure 1
5. Sonic Mania
6. Sonic 4

top 3 favorites
1. Sonic 3 и Knuckles
2. Sonic Colours
3. Sonic Mania

volbound1700

Smash Master
here's my list, which I personally played

1. Sonic 3 и Knuckles
2. Sonic Generations
3. Sonic Colours
4. Sonic Adventure 1
5. Sonic Mania
6. Sonic 4

top 3 favorites
1. Sonic 3 и Knuckles
2. Sonic Colours
3. Sonic Mania

I am surprised that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 didn't make your list.

I do see the repeated theme of people liking Sonic Adventure 2 which I am not surprised about overall.

BTW, I have Sonic Colors now and started playing threw it. Reminds me a lot of Sonic Lost World (which is a good thing).

Top Bottom