• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Full Jump shine vs. Waveshining

Laijin

Smash Hero
I use to main Falco, but then switched mains because literally everyone else was has him as a main. But now i've decided to use him seriously once again. My skills are pretty much the same from where I left off with him(only now I can waveshine really well. Like it matters since none of you knew my skills before .__.). I have a question:

From my observations..
1.Generally, Falco players who are learning him will tend to spam the d-air, shine, JC full jump, dair, shine, repeat combo.

2.But Falco players who have a lot more experience with him tend to spam the d-air, shine, JC waveshine, d-air, repeat(normally ending it with some kind of aeriel).

Now. My question is...which is better?
I don't really see anything wrong with the first one as it normally tends to rack up damage to a certain point. The second just seems flashier and can only be done to fast fallers and to a certain point. Also, the second one gets a bit trickier with DI and all..

Im probably way off with some of my points(since I just started playing Falco again..), but im trying to understand all of this. So can someone help me out?

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
From my observations..
1.Generally, Falco players who are learning him will tend to spam the d-air, shine, JC full jump, dair, shine, repeat combo.

2.But Falco players who have a lot more experience with him tend to spam the d-air, shine, JC waveshine, d-air, repeat(normally ending it with some kind of aeriel).
FYI, the way you described #1 hardly works unless it's against fastfallers. You forgot to add a utilt in there somewhere.

#2 is used more on fast fallers; however, #2 can also be used against players with incredible DI, e.g. smash di. If the opponent doesn't smash DI every shine you throw at them, #1 is used best for that situation. If they do smash DI every shine, use number two. By waveshining the first shine, you are able to reach the opponent with an aerial whereas with #1 you can't. But if they don't smash di, #1 gives you more time to set up a combo whereas #2 you lose time with the waveshine and makes it harder to effectively set up a combo. I also use #2 against super floaties (I'm looking at jiggs and luigi). Even when they use regular di, their floatiness itself allows themselves to di that much better away from falco in which waveshine can be used.

EDIT: #1 can be used for platform combos. Dair to shine pops them up to a platform where you can dair and shine again.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Against fast-fallers, waveshining is the best thing to do. Against mid-weight characters, I usually jump. Especially if there's a platform above, because it will usually be just the right distance to follow them up to the platform, hit another dair, l-cancel, and then up tilt to up-air or whatever you feel like continuing it with.

It really just comes down to the situation, and B-Will covered it pretty well himself.

Dojo

Smash Champion
B-Will pretty much hit the nail on the head. I typically use #1, sometimes i tend to mess up #2. I can do it sometimes but its a work in progress

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Unless you are on a platform stage wavedashing out of the shine is preferrable to jumping (whether single or double) out of it; it is a good method for extending combos. If a stage has platforms just jc it; the platform extends the combo on its own (don't listen if people tell you Falco isn't good on 3 plat stages).

edit: oops Bwill said most of that all ready, sorry.

Best101

Smash Ace
Option 2 is better, because you're setting yourself up for more combo options against fast fallers. Option 1 may be better against light characters like Luigi or Samus, and comboing on stages like Battle Field

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
what direction should you smash di combo 1? i think it's just away? That's what i do and it seems to get out..but my friend isn't pro either...

are there any other directions i can smash di to get out of combo 1? like could i smash di up the shines that juggle me up to get more height so that i could jump out with someone like marth?

also does combo 2 even work on nonfastfallers? i'm confused how you could possibly get to them in time with the waveshine...wouldn't you have to jump to catch up for the second shine then?

also...what damages is combo 2 supposed to work at? at low damages you short hop the dair and then at higher ones you full jump?

err..and videos could help if anyone knows some to link me too..i have only just recently started playing against fox so i'm trying to learn these combos..i think i understand this now..but what do i finish with? after i get up to 50 or so it starts to get hard to do variation 2...do i switch to variation 1? at least in training mode that seems to work to continue the combo..and then finish with a back aerial? i'm guessing this combo can't go past like 70 or so from zero

Top Bottom