• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ftilt vs Dtilt-- When to use one over the other?

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt and Dtilt overlap significantly in both role and range. Outside of Jab range, either is the goto option.

Ftilt- 10% on sweetspot & significant knockback at ~35 degree angle. 7% on sourspot and low knockback
Dtilt- 10% and moderate knockback at a ~10 degree angle, almost horizontal

It seems like Dtilt is the goto unless in Ftilt's sweetspot, but it looks like Ftilt comes out slower and is more punishable on whiff? I don't know. What are the uses and utilities of these two supposed to be?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ftilt has way more potential as an antiair move when angled up. It's also much more reliable to combo into Ftilt from a Nair for example.

If the opponent is grounded I would always use Dtilt in Ftilts place because Dtilt can force a techchase situation (the best way to land a sideB) and I have had a lot of success with it. Dtilt also has a really good trajectory, making up for easy edgeguards.

When edgeguarding an opponent who has already grabbed the ledge once, Ftilt angled downwards actually hits below the ledge.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
- Charizard's tail doesn't have hurtboxes tied to it, so ftilt is actually entirely disjointed. Also as -LzR- said, it can be angled up for anti-air or down to hit below the ledge.
- Charizard's dtilt has IASA frames very early after the active frames, meaning you can cancel most of its end lag with another action. It also doesn't require sweetspotting for optimal effect, but lacks both the disjoint and angles of ftilt.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I use them pretty evenly. I've gotten quite a few KOs by using an angled up forward tilt as an anti-air move.
Down tilt is a great poke move, works well against someone dashing towards you, I've also gotten a couple of KOs by edge guarding with it.

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
I like both but down tilt is the one i use the most since i can cancel it earlier with a f.blitz or forward tilt if they try to do something laggy

Appdude

Smash Cadet
Ftilt and Dtilt overlap significantly in both role and range. Outside of Jab range, either is the goto option.

Ftilt- 10% on sweetspot & significant knockback at ~35 degree angle. 7% on sourspot and low knockback
Dtilt- 10% and moderate knockback at a ~10 degree angle, almost horizontal

It seems like Dtilt is the goto unless in Ftilt's sweetspot, but it looks like Ftilt comes out slower and is more punishable on whiff? I don't know. What are the uses and utilities of these two supposed to be?

Uses dTilt when your opponent is in front of you, and use fTilt when you wanted to use dTilt, but the opponent has rolled or something. Like, if you know he's rolling, and you wanted to dTilt, the fastest thing you could do after missing a dTilt, would be to immediately fTilt.

Zombreed

Smash Rookie
ftilt seems to have beter range, d tilt has nearly no lag, and is also better for ledge guarding

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Seeing as we have frame data now, this looks like this:
  • Approx the same effective range as each other (ftilt probs wins by a small amount)
  • Have the same startup (hits 11-13 vs. 11-12)
  • Ftilt has a better disjoint
  • Ftilt kills earlier in general
  • Dtilt is safer on a shield (FAF 33 vs 42)
  • Dtilt doesn't have a sourspot
Make your own judgements of when to use what based off the above things.

Also don't use dtilt > flare blitz, that's not very good.

MechanicalRhythm

Smash Rookie
the main distinction to me is that ftilt is better for spacing whereas dtilt is a good gtfo option. they're both really good though and i use them a lot.

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
Ftilt on the tipper, it's knockback dependent so idk if the sourspots have more or less than dtilt.
Yeah I noticed the tipper feels a lot safer when you get the knockback, cause I don't think even Capt. F pivot can reach you in time to punish OOS at that range.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
Noob question, but what sequence do people use for "angling down or up" ftilt? Do you use custom buttons? How many frames do you have to pull angling off? When can you put what inputs in? I try to do this and don't notice any difference in animation or hitbox, so I feel I'm doing something wrong.

ClumzyWumzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clumzy
Noob question, but what sequence do people use for "angling down or up" ftilt? Do you use custom buttons? How many frames do you have to pull angling off? When can you put what inputs in? I try to do this and don't notice any difference in animation or hitbox, so I feel I'm doing something wrong.
I don't know the frames, but it's the same as performing a ftilt except you angle the stick a little bit either up or down. So the stick should be pointed in between up and right for an upward ftilt and hopefully you get what to do for a lower angled ftilt lol.

Top Bottom