• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fsmash

SolidSmash

Smash Rookie
I've read quite a bit on here that everyone thinks Snake's fsmash is too slow to be useful at all. While I agree that it's not like a lot of others, (Ness or Lucas' bats), if timed right the damage and KO potential it has is too good to pass up. I've only been playing CPUs and friends, and while good it's nothing like a tourney. Thoughts on it's use vs good players?

samspot

Smash Rookie
I think the basic idea is that its too slow to get a guaranteed hit with, and you can see it coming a mile away and avoid it if you are any good. It still has it uses though, yesterday in a with anyone match i KO'd all 3 opponents with one fsmash :)

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I say all luck. You have to be blind or recovering from a epically missed aerial (oh say snake's Axe kick. xD ) to stand still long enough to fall victim to the RPG.

But it feels so good when you land it.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Weaken shields. The RPG doesn't hurt shields enough, even in full charge, to break a full shield. But it does eat a lot of shield. If an opponent is smart, they'll either powershield the fsmash, or roll. There are very few instances where one can actually use a fsmash with impunity.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, the F-Smash only works when you use your skills of Intuition and instinct. There is no true set up for it.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Weaken shields. The RPG doesn't hurt shields enough, even in full charge, to break a full shield. But it does eat a lot of shield. If an opponent is smart, they'll either powershield the fsmash, or roll. There are very few instances where one can actually use a fsmash with impunity.
only a crazy person would powershield it on purpose

dumpsterdiver

Smash Rookie
The only times I ever get it off are either doing it unexpectedly, and the opponent just falls into it (interesting note, you may be able to dodge certain aerial attacks of approaching opponents from the ducking animation of the fsmash, and it may just connect). The best bet is breaking a shield first, though. To break shields, I usually apply pressure with jab combos and ftilt after dropping a grenade. I count to four in my head so I don't get blown up, and the enemy usually blocks early. I've broken shields with the grenade a few times, and that gives you a free stick them with c4 in case then live, and then a charged fsmash. I wouldn't ever depend on this strat, but its not hard to do if you have a vertical wall, like shadow moses.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The only time I've ever able to get it off is when I continually d-throw tech chase some one forward (after laying them down) or shield grab their get up animation and can predict that they'll eventually tech roll behind. It takes some timing to get it in before they can shield and I swear there are some characters that this never works for due to how far and quick they roll. It's pretty high risk/reward to go for it and I rarely do, but sometimes when you just know they'll tech back out of reflex due to being tech chased three time sin a row, you can get them with it.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
The only time I've ever able to get it off is when I continually d-throw tech chase some one forward (after laying them down) or shield grab their get up animation and can predict that they'll eventually tech roll behind. It takes some timing to get it in before they can shield and I swear there are some characters that this never works for due to how far and quick they roll. It's pretty high risk/reward to go for it and I rarely do, but sometimes when you just know they'll tech back out of reflex due to being tech chased three time sin a row, you can get them with it.
That's probably the easiest and most reliable method for landing the Fsmash, then again it's still pretty hard to do because it solely relies on your enemy to roll behind you for it to land.

Top Bottom