• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fsmash vs Dsmash

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
if fox is recovering from under the stage using firefox; and his position is as such:

the following is true
- hes too high for you to edgehog
- his firefox will end Above the stage
- to recover safely, he has the choice to either firefox upwards or towards the stage.
- you are too late to jump out and intercept him

the following are possible edgeguard options
- dsmash
- fsmash
- fully charged shadowball

in such a scenario, charging an fsmash is always better than charging a dsmash with the following reasons.
- the timing is less demanding
- you can stand at a safer distance
- has the range and hitbox to hit him even if he chooses to firefox upwards while your dsmash is likely to miss.
- it will also hit him if he aims towards the stage.

Q: why would the fox be in such a position
A: the situation is not rare. also, if he techs a dsmash edgeguard, he will definately be in that position.

sorry if im pointing out the obvious ._.
and you are welcome to challenge me

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
D tilt and F tilt are also viable awesome edgeguards.

Depending on the percent, grabbing is also.

I hate timing.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Down Smash is still a better option than F-Smash. The Fox can still M2K angle the Firefox and grab the ledge from that position and avoid the Forward Smash.

Where F-smash is viable, down tilt is definitely viable. I don't like F-tilt quite so much because it tends to trade a lot, but I suppose what ever floats your boat as long as it works.

Edgeguard however you feel like as long as it is efficient.

quak

Smash Champion
what he's sayin is that the fox can sorta hug the wall and still sweetspot

i always edgegaurd with d-smash, i never use an f-smash anywhere, i just hate that attack, unless im just ******* around of course

HADOKEN!

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
=/ just trying to stir up something...

other things to consider...
u cant tech fsmash in such a position.
when your dsmash is teched, you could keep dsmashing, but human flaws decrease your chance of successfully edgeguarding. in general, fsmash has a better chance of successfully taking the kill.

i do not know how to respond to the m2k sweetspot >>"
apologies... i am going to ignore it because it doesnt sound like something that happens often enough to deserve considering...

dtilt works too but would require good spacing. spacing is not difficult, but its still an unneccesary risk factor considering the other options have better hit boxes.

Levitas

the moon
Is chasing them down with a Nair a good idea? I'm no mewtwo main, but it should drag them down or shoot them out to approx. sweetspot range, and allow you to get the edge first due to mewtwo's fast vertical recovery. And yeah, the fox will hug the wall and go for a sweetspot unless they think you will go for a wd edgehog or teleport edgehog. And the nair should only work if you can get down there while they're still charging.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
F-Smash has its uses, but D-Smash is generally more viable and applicable. Personally I like to F-Smash when they're coming up from the ledge as a surprise counter-attack. Of course, spamming it won't get you far though. I also find it as a good move to space yourself when fighting againt Marths who like to jab and F-Tilt/Smash until they can grab. Kinda like a "fool me once, fool me twice, but not thrice" thing.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
I would go with DISABLE (BOLD MOVE) into a d-smash. if he goes toward the edge, then the disable would ground his fiery ***, then the d-smash would kill him if high enough without worrying about his teching, cuz who has ever tech a disable(or sees it coming)? He goes straight up then you have enough time to do a d-tilt, or a f-tilt, in which a f-tilt would stun him away from the edge a bit better and you can try something else.

Top Bottom