• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From the Owners Desk – How far We’ve Come

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It’s hard to believe that just over two years ago we were scrambling to preserve the stream of EVO 2013. Tomorrow, Smashers from around the world will compete in the largest Smash tournament ever. The. Largest. Ever. That phrase previously had meaning. These days, it feels more like just another record to be broken. A line to be crossed. Another jab against the community to be overcome. We’re always beating expectations, always pushing toward the next milestone, always looking for the next slight against our ego that will then motivate us to excel and say “you were wrong about us, again.”

Genesis in 2009 - Need I say more?

It’s hard to believe how far we’ve come.

Hard to believe over 10 years ago I was involved with my first tournament series – BOMB. At the time, BOMB was one of the largest series on the east coast. We held 4 events in about 2 years, expanding from 30 players to over 100. Hard to believe 100 person tournaments were rare, national affairs. This was a time before Facebook, before YouTube, before anyone uttered the phrase eSports around fighting games or even outside of South Korea. Before we had smartphones or iPads, before high speed Internet was found in every home. 2004 was so different that the software we used to run the bracket was made by Kiraki in our Junior year high school computer science class. He’s now in his 4th year at Microsoft.

In 2005 and 2006 we were in the golden age of Smash. At the time, having 15 tournaments a weekend that could muster 30, 40, or 50 players apiece felt like we had ‘made it’. Compared to everyone else – we had. Hard to believe that was nothing compared to today. In 2009 I compiled a report of all the Smash tournaments for one year – just over 600 in total for Brawl. That felt like a lot. That WAS a lot. But looking at the Smashboards listings, there have been over 3,000 events listed in the last 12 months. We are seeing reports of locals getting not 100, not 200, but over 300 players. In 2009 the record was set for Brawl at just over 300 entrants.

Pound 4 was once the largest Smash tournament ever

It’s hard to believe how far we’ve come.

Tomorrow, thousands of people will watch EVO from their own living rooms. Are they a part of the community? Are you a part of the community? The line has become ever so blurred. Even 5 years ago, the community was defined by the experience and the relationships of players who were attending events in person. Now we see uproar when viewers at home can’t follow along, even if the paying players find the tournament to be excellent. The transition to a shared online and in person experience, as one community, has been one of the biggest transformations in the last three years. It’s hard to believe the event experience is now defined as much by the players competing as it is by the spectators watching.

This weekend, Smashboards should cross the 200,000 member threshold - a testament to this continued Smash community growth. When I acquired the site in 2012, we were sitting around 125,000 members. It’s hard to believe that every day there are more than 8,000 posts and 10,000 liked comments on the boards, and that every weekend we see more than 50 Smash tournaments being held on our tournament listings. Smashers are joining today that weren’t alive when Melee was released. That is hard to believe. Even harder, there are Smashers who have never owned a CRT or even seen one out in the wild.

Most Smashers don't even know there was Brawl at EVO 2009.

While this may seem centered on Melee, it’s important to also consider the strength and growth that Super Smash Brothers for Wii U has brought us. DLC and balance patches were unthinkable 3 years ago – now we can be excited at what new content may be around the corner. Like Melee, Smash Wii U will have nearly 2,000 players compete in EVO this weekend – and they will begin a journey to define the games legacy. For these Smashers, consider the above, the trek that Melee players have undergone and the long battle to build the scene to where it is today. The leaders of the next generation of Smash are likely sitting in a high school classroom, waiting for their turn to push Smash to new heights.

If you are attending, or watching EVO, this weekend, remember that just a few short years ago, several hundred players competing was considered a huge event. Remember that in 2009 at COT4, we were elated to see the Brawl stream cross 1,000 viewers for the first time. This is all due to a community that is self sufficient, without need of external resources, and that has an unwavering desire to prove itself to all doubters. Most of all, remember that the community got here today by supporting each other and binding together.

I still find it hard to believe how far we’ve come.

Happy Smashing. aZ out. Enjoy EVO, discuss EVO here.

Also, EVO fantasy with prizing.

Apex 2015 - Smashers do the unthinkable.

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Melee's history looks like fantasy, something from a book: a party game that little by little and with the help of thousands of people became one of the best fighting games of all time despise having a lot of hate and difficulties. From TG6 to Apex 2015, every tournament has stories to be told with likable characters. I'm so proud of being a part of the Smash community.

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
EVO 2013's chant was "1 more year!". We've ended up getting a lot more than that, and it has been fun to see.

busken

Smash Ace
No matter how we feel about one game or another, Super Smash Bros. has not only evolved through the years, but changed our lives. It's a game we will always love, and never forget.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Competitive Smash is much more than a huge group of hardcore players. It's actually a culture, and a really amazing one. I feel proud by being among the 200.000 members from SWF.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Congratulations to the Smash community for making it farther than we ever could have dreamed! Let's make this Evo the best one yet! Good luck to everyone competing!
SMASH IT UP!

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I may have only joined the community two months ago, but I can see how it has evolved greatly throughout the years, thanks to YouTube and Smashboards.

Last edited:

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
This is such a big deal. I remember thinking to myself a few years ago that this community had had it's day, and it wouldn't be long before it threw in the towel.

Hell, my region was down to having 20-30 entrants at our tournaments at the most, half of whom were randoms who stumbled upon us playing the day of, at our comic-book store venue.

Now we have a bi-weekly in Syracuse,every other decently populated city in New York state has one or something similar, and we are exceeding 100-150 attendees at our larger events. It has been a wild ride these past three years, this one in particular, and it keeps getting wilder. Thanks, all of you. Even the ones I don't like.

Good **** ya'll, keep it coming.

Last edited:

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
This is history in the making. If you still don't understand this article my recommendation would be to look up the Smash Bros documentary on YouTube.

To think that the young gamers would have the power to change the world with just a controller.....Nintendo should be proud that they created a successful fighting game that continues to grow as time passes. Hell, Sakurai should be proud with the games he created. If it wasn't for the 2 original games (especially the 2nd) this community wouldn't be as big as it was today, and that's the truth.

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
We have come far, but we can still go much farther.

Super Smash Bros. was one of the first games that I ever played, and it still remains one of my favorite. I would love to see this community continue to expand, and I believe that we can.

Our community has many advantages; people everywhere, even those that aren't aware of competitive video games, have played or know about Super Smash Bros. Also, our games are accessible. We lack a huge learning curve that prevents new players from actually playing the game and our players are willing to help each other.

Therefore, I say that we can still go a far way. New events continue to break records, and Super Smash Con will hopefully shatter all records. It won't be too long before we see Smash events with 5,000 people or more.

In other words: We can and will succeed further.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Most Smashers don't even know there was Brawl at EVO 2009.
Confused about this, are you talking about smashers of all kinds over the world? Or are you talking about competing players? Because I thought when Brawl came out in 2009, there were few players playing Melee while almost everyone competed in Brawl.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
Touching words indeed and a wonderful journey down memory lane.... i wish i was a part of smasher like you guys & girls but just being able to watch from across the world is wonderful for me because it still gives me the ability to be a part of a fantastic community. EVO here we come. :bluejump:

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294
it's amazing how far Smash Bros. has come as a competitive game.
to think; we started off as just about 50-100 people, and have now gone to countless members and even joined the ranks of EVO in 2013, a mere 2 years ago.
we've come a long, long way, and it's taken quite a while, but was it worth it?
certainly. Smash Bros. is no longer a game to me: it's a culture. a massive one, at that, and one I'm proud to be part of.
as they say:
from small things, big things come.

here's to the future, and all it'll bring us as Smashers!

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
We went from getting Melee a spot on EVO 2013's lineup to getting TWO GAMES represented this year. It's not often that one franchise gets two games at an event like this.

Good luck smashing.

Kerpy Derp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerpy Derp
3DS FC
3136-7596-2766
Competitive Smash is much more than a huge group of hardcore players. It's actually a culture, and a really amazing one. I feel proud by being among the 200.000 members from SWF.
I am proud of it too. As long as it doesn't become a religion that would be kinda disturbing!

Last edited:

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations to the Smash community! I'm relatively new to the smash community but I've read about the history of competitive Smash Bros and watched the documentary and that really shows how hard you worked to make Smash a fighting game worthy of EVO.

Top Bottom