• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From Sheik to Meta Knight?

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
do you think it will be easy for me, going from playing sheik (fast and deacently heavy) to meta knight (medium speed and much lighter) i tried palying as kirby in ssbm and cant stand his lightness, is meta knight much different? and what are some tips about playing light characters for someone whos used to heavyer characters

The game feels completely different from Melee in every respect, so it wouldn't be possible to conduct a solid "Change of characters". The change in gameplay will make all the characters feel different.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
The game feels completely different from Melee in every respect, so it wouldn't be possible to conduct a solid "Change of characters". The change in gameplay will make all the characters feel different.
thats kindof a releif, because i never really got too into advanced techniques in melee, it will be nice if Brawl is as much like a fresh start like you say, everything in melee is getting so much like "been there done that" especially since its been 6 years since the last new game, instead of 2 years like it was between the first 2. looking at SSB 64 videos it looks like slow-motion with the 30 FPS. so its good that its a new feel and a fresh experience.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I'm looking forward to a fresh start with new characters and aspects. It should be easy to get used to the characters in brawl. Just try them out and keep using them.

Torchik

Smash Ace
According to a lot of sorces, Meta Knight is a great character for beginners, so I'm assuming he shouldn't be too hard to master. Also, who knows, Sheik might still be in this game. Anyway, I think you could easily switch over to Meta Knight! ^_^

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
According to a lot of sorces, Meta Knight is a great character for beginners, so I'm assuming he shouldn't be too hard to master. Also, who knows, Sheik might still be in this game. Anyway, I think you could easily switch over to Meta Knight! ^_^
He's easy to start with but hard to master. Kind of like shiek.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
When mastered, Metaknight can own...I honestly do not think he is similar to sheik (but that is me)...the changing of character is possible once your use to the game...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta Knight is vastly different from Melee Shiek.

Play more Kirby in SSBM if you want to get the feel of Meta Knight.

S2

Smash Lord
What characters were newb-friendly in Melee? It's been so long for me...

Sheik was pretty good right off the bat in Melee.

That's why people thought she was so broken for a long time, because it took time for people to unlock the full potential of characters like Fox, Falco, Marth, etc.

Metaknight is being called too good by casual players, but we'll see what that really means in time.

Its silly some of the things casuals will come up with because they don't dodge properly. Watch newbies play Melee. They think Link's up-B is an unstoppable onslaught. Any good player will tell you that its got tons of lag at the end and can easily be punished if its not used properly.

Meta may be like that. A good character, but still with a few flaws that casuals are bright enough to take advantage of.

But yeah, as a Sheik player I've been eyeing Meta. He looks like a lot of fun. Probably towards the top of my list for new characters (sorry, I just love Snake too much).

Smash Ace
fast combo characters=win.
I'm defiantely going to play him as one of my first
=2007=

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
Sheik was pretty good right off the bat in Melee.

That's why people thought she was so broken for a long time, because it took time for people to unlock the full potential of characters like Fox, Falco, Marth, etc.

Metaknight is being called too good by casual players, but we'll see what that really means in time.

Its silly some of the things casuals will come up with because they don't dodge properly. Watch newbies play Melee. They think Link's up-B is an unstoppable onslaught. Any good player will tell you that its got tons of lag at the end and can easily be punished if its not used properly.

Meta may be like that. A good character, but still with a few flaws that casuals are bright enough to take advantage of.

But yeah, as a Sheik player I've been eyeing Meta. He looks like a lot of fun. Probably towards the top of my list for new characters (sorry, I just love Snake too much).
Oh, cool. I kept getting the vibe that Meta was only average, but this makes me feel a little better. I wish Snake was playable at E For All... too bad we didn't get any info on him. In fact, Meta was my only anticipated character at E for All (no Wario, PT, or Snake), but hey, at least we know something.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
Well playstyle-wise, both Shiek and Meta Knight rely on land speed and are able to rack up the damage quickly. Similarly, they have excellent aerial mobility and little to no heavy comboing moves.

However, do not make the mistake of thinking they will be the same character.
Metaknight's attacks and moveset are nothing like the way Sheik's were. Also, unlike Sheik he has no long range attacks and can quad-jump.

I would say if you are looking for a character similar to Shiek's moveset, you should test out another character, but if you are looking for speed, Meta Knight is a great choice.

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
I guess playing as Kirby in SSBM would be good for practiceing movement, but MK's attacks are much faster and very differant from Kirby's.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
No, they're much faster and very similar to Kirby's attacks. Meta Knight's Special Attacks and Gliding are quite different, though.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
Actually get some KO's in?
His air mobility being 'garbage'?

You guys take these flaws to a way higher degree than nessisary.

He has minor flaws, but to say he can't KO because the lack of strong knockback attacks... or that his air movement is garbage because it 'felt awkward' to those who played him during the demo... well thats beyond slight exaggeration.

I know you are trying to quell the misconceptions of 'broken-ness', but you are making him sound like he is worthless.

First off, he can KO, he just doesn't at low percents. Who knows? Maybe he can, we haven't played him enough to see if any of his B specials are effective that way.

And to the air mobility garbage nonsense, his glide is an unexplored air maneuver that could easily turn out to be excellent. His quad jump allows great recovery... I could understand saying Jiggly's is better, but to say Meta Knight's is garbage based on what was seen at E4ALL? Thats way too unfounded and drastic.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
Actually get some KO's in?
His air mobility being 'garbage'?

You guys take these flaws to a way higher degree than nessisary.

He has minor flaws, but to say he can't KO because the lack of strong knockback attacks... or that his air movement is garbage because it 'felt awkward' to those who played him during the demo... well thats beyond slight exaggeration.

I know you are trying to quell the misconceptions of 'broken-ness', but you are making him sound like he is worthless.

First off, he can KO, he just doesn't at low percents. Who knows? Maybe he can, we haven't played him enough to see if any of his B specials are effective that way.

And to the air mobility garbage nonsense, his glide is an unexplored air maneuver that could easily turn out to be excellent. His quad jump allows great recovery... I could understand saying Jiggly's is better, but to say Meta Knight's is garbage based on what was seen at E4ALL? Thats way too unfounded and drastic.
It is not beyond slight exaggeration it is what was observed when we got to play the character, we are not speculating. Of course he can K.O and as you mentioned its just typically done at lower percentages, no one is trying to say its impossible to K.O with him, it just needs to be done at higher percentages.

Maybe he can, we haven't played him enough to see if any of his B specials are effective that way.
Yes we have. We discovered that his upB can be used as a K.O move, but again at higher percents than the average.

No one is saying that MK is garbage. Sorry, but he was observed enough to know that at this point he doesnt have strong ariel maneuverability. I apologize if your looking for a broken character, but thats just not going to be MK. Hes a solid fighter with strengths and weakness, take the weaknesses with the strengths and vice-versa

W.Jr

Smash Lord
I doubt because the game isn't the same seed, also metalknight way different playing style. The only thing they have in common is, metalknight maybe eaziest character in the game like sheik.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Air mobility means horizontal speed and general agility in the air. Gliding is not fast. It's actually slower than running, from what I saw in videos. Also, gliding does not give you the ability to abruptly change directions. Jiggs can pound-jump in midair in either direction, and can turn around on a dime. Meta can't do this out of a glide. Meta moves slowly side-to-side in the air.

SilverKnight

Smash Cadet
The statements I made pertain to a general opinion forming of Meta Knight being viewed as below average, on not just this board, but many.

I'm well aware what air mobility is, but I still feel is is WAY too early to state it as a fact the way it is being said..

Demo impressions are very helpful yes, but I know that it is impossible to get a real grasp of an entirely new character's potencial in such a short amount of time.

Someone outright stated his air-mobility is garbage, and I think 'garbage' is a harsh acusation... and the Koing, people are misunderstand that KOing at high % =/= can't KO at all. If you read alot of posts you'll see people are taking it to unnessisary levels, saying he cannot land KO's.

I never thought of him as a broken character, and I most likely never will, but casuals take your posts very seriously and make assumptions. All I'm saying is, I don't agree with the exaggeration, not that I don't agree with what you say.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear in my intensions of my posts, but I still stand by it.

I will be clear:
Meta Knight isn't horrible, and people are exaggerating his weaknesses a bit especially since you only had a short amount of time to master him. That is all I meant. This is my opinion, I'm not telling you how to post.

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
I think Meta Knight will be good. in Melee Mobility + Aerials + dirty special moves = more options = more situation adaptation = advantage over other characters who lack these things.

Every special move Meta has has tons of mobility purposes and speed. However several things could ruin him in high level play. He will be lighter than average, most likely not have a lot of range and the speedy sword slashes CANT have much priority. Let's say he kicks *** but will have several characters who can counter him (*cough*maybe Ike).

I find it strange how people:

1. Assume how great a character is based off of his strenghts, thinking that they outweight his weaknesses.

2. Never played the game.

3. Not understand advantages/disadvantages in tournament play, yet insist on knowing characteristics of character play.

Meta Knight has disadvantages, and he has advantages. This isn't melee; advantages can't outweigh each characters disadvantages, it's the key of balance.

Meta Knight can't KO because:
-weak smash attacks
-attack trajectory with aerials can't cause opponents to be sent lower angles.

Meta Knight's air mobility sucks because:

- His jumps gain very little horizontal and verticle climb.

Meta Knight's a character designed for building damage, not executing massive combo's and killing.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is vastly different from Melee Shiek.

Play more Kirby in SSBM if you want to get the feel of Meta Knight.
i like kirby's feel, but i hate kirby over all, too slow, and i feel compelled to use his Down B every 2 seconds lol. but i think its too late for me to start playing kirby anyways, ill just wait 54 and a half more days and it'll be a whole new ball game.

also on the topic of him being too light, could this be because you are comparing him to melee characters? cause i have also heard that brawl in general is lighter

Polostick

Smash Apprentice
What will when u mix Kirby and Young Link?
When we come back

3 min later

So what will when u mix Kirby and Young Link?
We get meta knight. now back to the show.

froggster93

Smash Rookie
I don't know what you guys are talking about, until now I didn't know metaknight even had flaws, because of his speed, moves, and recovery ability,you guys are insane, his glide might be a little hard to control and he may not be the most powerful but that's what homerun bats and meteor smashes are for. And to answer the question at the beggining of this thread, I'd like to say that coming from a Sheik veteran, a switch from Sheik to Metaknight would be a good idea, if he/she doesn't return in brawl.

Top Bottom