• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

French Interview with Sakurai

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Reading it again not even sure why he brought up the possible conflict of someone "patched" playing against someone "unpatched."

Isn't it a simple solution of having everyone connected online to have the newest one?

As for the case of people wanting to play on a previous version for a reason or another... leave it as a option that people can select like a ruleset? I know other fighting games do this.
Plus in one outside case I know Armored Core 4 allows it and isn't even a fighting game.

Makes me worry for the Online mode if they even throw that out as a potential problem.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't most online games require you to be patched to the latest version?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Don't most online games require you to be patched to the latest version?
Yeah so I'm not sure why he thinks there are technical issues. It has already been done with Mario Kart 7.

I think Japanese developers are just behind when it comes to online.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Patches for balance issues and such seems great. I want the released game to be as good as possible but lets face it, every game always has something that could use some work. Just less in Nintendo games than many others.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah so I'm not sure why he thinks there are technical issues. It has already been done with Mario Kart 7.

I don't think so. A lot of fighting games in particular have done patches in recent years. I think it's more if Sakurai is all that familiar with them.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
Well hopefully the stage hazards are toned down in this one then. I felt like just about every stage in Brawl had them and it got annoying real quick.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps with Patches Sakurai was more referring to the 3DS version's wireless play? Like when two people play the 3DS version wirelessly and say, player one uses the Patch and player two doesn't? :/ I honestly don't know. Just throwing that out there really... (-_-)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Perhaps with Patches Sakurai was more referring to the 3DS version's wireless play? Like when two people play the 3DS version wirelessly and say, player one uses the Patch and player two doesn't? :/ I honestly don't know. Just throwing that out there really... (-_-)

The 3DS can also do patches, so that shouldn't be a problem unless they're not connected to the internet at all. In that case the game just wouldn't be compatible.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The 3DS can also do patches, so that shouldn't be a problem unless they're not connected to the internet at all. In that case the game just wouldn't be compatible.

Yeah I know that. I meant if one played with the patch and the other doesn't but you've answered that question in your next statement so alright then.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
You can't say he has never done anything like that and then point out the time he did exactly that. Im not saying I expect it to happen, and I dont care if it happens or not. I'm just saying it COULD happen.
The point of my post is that Marth has never been replaced even though he's not been in the latest game, neither has Ness. The same will most likely apply to Olimar.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet

If I remember correctly, werent some of the old GBA pokemon games patchable? Where if you connected to someone with the patch it automatically patched your game as well if i remember correctly

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Pokemon was ahead of its time in many ways, it frickin pioneered on-cartridge-DLC.
B4stards. Making people shell out 100 extra bucks for the other two games to actually be able to Catch em All. Actually that was Miyamoto's idea, it would be unforgivable if it was anyone else's idea.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
Pokemon was ahead of its time in many ways, it frickin pioneered on-cartridge-DLC.
B4stards. Making people shell out 100 extra bucks for the other two games to actually be able to Catch em All. Actually that was Miyamoto's idea, it would be unforgivable if it was anyone else's idea.

That... Or go out and make friends with a kid on the playground, hang out with him in school for a bit, talk about pokemon, spend the night at his house, and while hes sleeping trade all of his version exclusives and his starter for freshly caught magikarps. Then, go donwstairs where his parents conveniently left the fireplace on and throw his game in there. Removing all traces of your wrong doing and the friendship you once shared forever

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
That... Or go out and make friends with a kid on the playground, hang out with him in school for a bit, talk about pokemon, spend the night at his house, and while hes sleeping trade all of his version exclusives and his starter for freshly caught magikarps. Then, go donwstairs where his parents conveniently left the fireplace on and throw his game in there. Removing all traces of your wrong doing and the friendship you once shared forever
You sound like you have EXPERIENCE HAHAHAHA! I'm sorry v_v

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Sakurai has never made any online games which have been patched later on, so he wouldn't know how it functions or if it even functions, which is why he says he needs to research it. That's kind of admitting that he has no idea if it's even possible.

I don't see what'd possibly hold the patches back, so I'm excited for it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One of two things:
1. The updated one can make a copy of the patch to send to the other 3DS (don't know if this is actually possible though)
2. Go to the most recent version that the obsolete 3DS has.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Best post ever made in all of eternity you sir a ****inggg G!!! REALTALK ! LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

i remember when i caught entei in crystal just before i went to school i took my GBC with me because i knew if i told him without proof he wouldnt believe me. Ahhh man it was lunchtime we were packlunch opening our lunch boxes fresh sexy sandwhiches wrapped in Plastic i whipped out the GBC told him i caught entei.

He was like '' hes impossible to catch he is even harder to catch than Raikou and Raikou took me eteenity to catch...''

I showe him the GBC and said...''boy...doesnt seem so impossible to me..''

LMFAOOOOO he was sooooooooooooooooooo

jelly.jpg

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One of two things:
1. The updated one can make a copy of the patch to send to the other 3DS (don't know if this is actually possible though)
2. Go to the most recent version that the obsolete 3DS has.

I suppose so then, at least if the 3DS is able to do that I guess.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
Best post ever made in all of eternity you sir a ****inggg G!!! REALTALK ! LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

i remember when i caught entei in crystal just before i went to school i took my GBC with me because i knew if i told him without proof he wouldnt believe me. Ahhh man it was lunchtime we were packlunch opening our lunch boxes fresh sexy sandwhiches wrapped in Plastic i whipped out the GBC told him i caught entei.

He was like '' hes impossible to catch he is even harder to catch than Raikou and Raikou took me eteenity to catch...''

I showe him the GBC and said...''boy...doesnt seem so impossible to me..''

LMFAOOOOO he was sooooooooooooooooooo

View attachment 1218
Thank you kind Sir :D Your name looks familiar, you didnt happen to frequent BrawlCentral way back in the day did you?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai has never made any online games which have been patched later on, so he wouldn't know how it functions or if it even functions, which is why he says he needs to research it. That's kind of admitting that he has no idea if it's even possible.

I don't see what'd possibly hold the patches back, so I'm excited for it.
Most gamers today know about patching and they know you have to patch to play online. Seems strange he wouldn't know some of this basic stuff.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
Most gamers today know about patching and they know you have to patch to play online. Seems strange he wouldn't know some of this basic stuff.
So does this mean Sakurai doesnt play games, and instead is focusing all his time on Smash, so much in fact he doesnt know of anything happening in the real world?!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Thank you kind Sir :D Your name looks familiar, you didnt happen to frequent BrawlCentral way back in the day did you?
Ooooh, another BrawlCentral veteran I see, long time since I've met a guy from there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So does this mean Sakurai doesnt play games, and instead is focusing all his time on Smash, so much in fact he doesnt know of anything happening in the real world?!
No (in fact, he's a pretty avid gamer). I think it's more so that Japanese developers don't get it. In the US, it's no issue and even indie games like Awesomenauts have patches and I've heard they have less than 20 people work there. It shouldn't be a big deal for a large publisher to do patches, but he thinks there are technical limitations. I think that is more Japanese developers being behind on the online space.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
No (in fact, he's a pretty avid gamer). I think it's more so that Japanese developers don't get it. In the US, it's no issue and even indie games like Awesomenauts have patches and I've heard they have less than 20 people work there. It shouldn't be a big deal for a large publisher to do patches, but he thinks there are technical limitations. I think that is more Japanese developers being behind on the online space.
One of the biggest reasons why 3rd party support is soo bad for Ninty...but hey i came for 1st party anyway.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet

I wasnt being serious lol, just sort of a side thought. But you're definitely right, especially with any developer working for Nintendo, seeing how they're just now getting their online act together, compared to microsoft and sony

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
Ooooh, another BrawlCentral veteran I see, long time since I've met a guy from there.
I havent met anyone else from there yet :/ I used to have so much fun on those boards, so it'd be nice to see some old friends. I believe my old handle Was Protoman21, if that rings any bells

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At this point, I think a lot of what Sakurai says is deliberately too vague to make anything of it. Namco has patched their share of games so it will not be a big deal for them to do this. Assuming he's being vague, he may be covering all his bases in cases some messed up situation comes up.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I havent met anyone else from there yet :/ I used to have so much fun on those boards, so it'd be nice to see some old friends. I believe my old handle Was Protoman21, if that rings any bells
The last thing I want this to come off as is advertising (BC Master Race, nonetheless) but the original site creator is actually remaking the site (was BC, then NH, then/now VGD) into SmashBrosCentral soon. I'm actually pretty surprised myself to find survivors on this and other sites still remember those days.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One of the biggest reasons why 3rd party support is soo bad for Ninty...but hey i came for 1st party anyway.
Not the only reason. Third parties just don't care for Nintendo, but that is a discussion for another time. Anywho, like you, I like Nintendo for first party games, so it is what it is.

I wasnt being serious lol, just sort of a side thought. But you're definitely right, especially with any developer working for Nintendo, seeing how they're just now getting their online act together, compared to microsoft and sony

Opps, my bad. Didn't realize you were joking. Your right that Sony and Microsoft are leagues ahead in terms of online. For instance, Brawl shouldn't have had such poor online in 2008.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Well hopefully the stage hazards are toned down in this one then. I felt like just about every stage in Brawl had them and it got annoying real quick.
from what we've seen so far, only a few of the 3DS stages have any serious hazards, so I guess so.

Besides, some stages would just feel weird without most of thier elements there.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
The last thing I want this to come off as is advertising (BC Master Race, nonetheless) but the original site creator is actually remaking the site (was BC, then NH, then/now VGD) into SmashBrosCentral soon. I'm actually pretty surprised myself to find survivors on this and other sites still remember those days.

I remember them fondly. I remember being up late on the night that they got the leak of lucarios head in the sticker applier. Good times, can't wait for those leaks to start happening

Top Bottom