• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Franchise representation in Smash Bros. 4

CalumG

Smash Lord
It's a question that constantly plagues the Smash franchise - or at least, every time a new Smash Bros. is announced:

"Which version of Link are they using?"

"Will Samus be based off of her classic design or her Prime series design?"

"Is Sheik still relevant enough to be included?"

"Will there be a Mario Galaxy stage?"

"How come they didn't add any characters from franchises newer than Pikmin?"

With franchises that have already had 8+ different games to their name, not to mention franchises which have already made appearances in Smash Bros., these are important questions to ask - which games from a series will the developers use as a reference? Historically, Sakurai has used more recent games as inspiration, as can be seen with the inclusion of Delfino Plaza and Luigi's Mansion, Port Town, Bridge of Eldin, Mario's new FLUDD Down-B, etc. etc. As well as this, he's a big retro nut, including things such as Mushroomy Kingdom, 75M and R.O.B., to name a few things.

But then I started to think about it; Star Fox hasn't had a game in years. Nor has F-Zero. Wario seems to have effectively dropped off the radar in the last couple of years (in terms of non-downloadable releases, that is) and Yoshi hasn't appeared in anything significant for a while (and the new Yoshi U game may well be too far into development to have significantly influenced the next Smash game). Link and Zelda have new designs whereas Ganon (who hasn't even been in a game since TP) and Sheik do not. Nintendo is a very different company to who they were 6 years ago, and many of their games have either not had sequels, or have sort of "settled in" with a specific style (see: every Mario game since NSMB and Mario Galaxy were released). So now more than ever, it's interesting to consider what they might do with the representation of franchises in the next Smash game.

Personally, I like to hope that the next Smash Bros. game will represent ongoing franchises in a more "timeless" fashion, representing the best of a series rather than the most recent. In terms of franchise importance, both Peach's Castle and Bowsers Castle outrank Delfino Plaza. Mute City is much more relevant and important than Port Town but they chose Port Town, almost purely in an attempt to be "different". Lucario hardly deserved to be in Brawl, save for the fact he had a movie recently released, and I feel Mario should've had a more iconic down-B than one which only appears in 1 out of his 40+ games (and one of the less well-recieved games, at that).

That's not to say they shouldn't include references to newer titles, or titles that are incredibly old, but the team should spend more time trying to best represent the essence of a franchise itself. Would it not have been far better representation for the Zelda franchise if they had made a Death Mountain stage instead of a Bridge of Eldin one, which borrowed elements from every different incarnation of Death Mountain? Which out of the two is a better idea; Skull Kid, who's showed up in a few games, or Tingle, who is the 4th most reoccurring character in the Zelda series? This extends to the Pokemon franchise as well. In Brawl, there's three (or five depending on how you see it) 1st generation Pokemon playable and 1 4th Gen Pokemon playable. That, to me, does not strike me as fair representation - the first Gen is timeless and the 4th Gen was the most recent, but how about one Pokemon from each generation? It'd mean kicking out some fan favourites, but at this point I swear the only reason they still include Jigglypuff is because she was in the N64 version of Smash Bros.

The question pops up with other franchises too. What of the Mother franchise, which is now all but dead? Should they include another stage which represents the most recent game (Mother 3), or go a different route and include a stage which has shown up in multiple installments of the franchise (Saturn Valley for example)? If they really wanted to represent the whole franchise with a stage, they could do something a bit more tongue-in-cheek and have a Battle Scene stage, in which you stand on text prompts a la Pictochat whilst the background trips out and changes colours.

Overall, I'd say now more than ever it's important to consider how long-running or dormant franchises are going to be represented in Smash. After all, Sakurai himself has said that just adding more characters and stages to Smash won't cut it; that could mean that this time, they're going to be more considerate to representing more franchises, and representing them better. It could mean trimming the fat off the roster despite fan support (because frankly I can think of many characters better suited or more deserving than Sheik, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf) and providing stages which better represent long-running areas of franchises (Lake Hylia, Peach's Castle, the Battle Frontier, and Samus's spaceship to name a few).

tl;dr How should the team handle franchise representation in the next Smash game, considering the turns each franchise has made, the overall history of each franchise as a whole, and the fan expectations of certain characters/stages in Smash?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I too am very interested in how the next Smash will handle franchise representation.

There's a very important fact of the next Smash that I think the team should consider: For a lot of Nintendo's franchises, this will be the first time we see them rendered with newer hardware. With that in mind, I think it is absolutely essential that the team carefully consider how best to represent a franchise in it's entirety instead of focusing only on "retro" or "modern" aspects.

My biggest hope for this next game, is just to see the essential essence of each series represented as best as it can be. I don't necessarily need to have 5+ playable characters per franchise, but it'd be nice to see Item references, Stage references, and cameo appearances from all of Nintendo's history.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll break my opnions into two points:

Characters - Obviously, the most important characters in their respective franchises. This boils down to General Importance to the series and to an extent, popularity. Popularity is indeed a factor, tbh. It doesn't make sense for them to replace a popular character with a lesser-known one, just for "fair" representation.

Stages - I hope to see all the stages from 64, Melee and Brawl in addition to new ones. :awesome: I tend to judge stages by their uniqueness factor (Mario Bros., for example) rather than timelessness, but that's just me.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one

Characters - Obviously, the most important characters in their respective franchises. This boils down to General Importance to the series and to an extent, popularity. Popularity is indeed a factor, tbh. It doesn't make sense for them to replace a popular character with a lesser-known one, just for "fair" representation.
I think the best option for the team in that regard is what they did for Melee. Newcomers were split into two groups: Popular characters (Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, and Marth) and Unique Character (Zelda, Sheik, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch)

The popular group were just that; characters players wanted to see. The unique group were those that would've added interesting play-styles to the mix. I believe that approach would best for the new game as well.

CalumG

Smash Lord

Stages - I hope to see all the stages from 64, Melee and Brawl in addition to new ones. :awesome: I tend to judge stages by their uniqueness factor (Mario Bros., for example) rather than timelessness, but that's just me.
I was talking more about popularity overall rather than popularity in Smash Bros. and Smash communities. I could argue for dozens of Pokemon which are more popular than Jigglypuff, but Jigglypuff continues to appear in Smash purely because of her Legacy status, having appeared in the original SSB64.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Jigglypuff was quite popular during the 64 days, due her recurring appearance in the anime. That's what got her in.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with some points of the OP. I think the SSB games sometimes focus on the most recent content and the retro content, yet forget on the middle-aged content.

It happened with Fire Emblem's music selection by having music from FE1 and FE2 (the two NES FE gamea) and music from the GBA and GCN games (mostly from Path of Radiance), leaving music from the SNES games out. Same happened with FE's stickers, by completely ignoring the Jugdral games.

Most Trophies in Brawl were model rips from GCN and Wii games, especially those from the Zelda series, which was disappointing.

They should focus equally on all games. For example, by having recurring areas as stages.

However, I don't agree with character cuts. Sure, Jigglypuff is most likely still in Smash thanks to her appearence in SSB64, but she's still one of the most known Pokémon nonetheless. Even with Gen VI coming, Lucario remains popular.

I think it would be a great idea to have DLC content to expand on the series' representation and catering to the more diehard fans.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There are three possible areas I believe newcomers will belong to. There is the retro area, where we may get characters that had popularity in the past and perhaps played an important part of Nintendo's history. Secondly, there are the fresh characters, ones that have recently come out and one might say are currently "in style". Lastly there are the remaining major(ish) characters remaining in presently represented franchises in the roster, examples being Ridley and King K. Rool as missing antagonists in Metroid and Donkey Kong respectively.

Ultimately I believe it would be best (though personally I can't say I care all too much frankly) that a balance of the three is probably most appropriate. Not only to throw a bone to the fawners of each category, but for the very commonly mentioned fact that the selection of each of the categories are growing thin. There aren't too many appropriate retro characters, there aren't very many fresh newcomers these days, and this being the fourth Smash Brothers game, each franchise is already decently represented.

I wouldn't mind if they just looked at the three categories, started picking ideas out based on which ones sound the funnest, for that the primary goal of a game (to be fun), and leave it at that. That would likely end up in not one of the categories being neglected while none of the categories being too favored. I feel that thinking anymore in terms of representation is unnecessary.

While what I am about to say might be inconsistent with the last point I just made, I feel that no cuts should be made, and that perhaps those who have been cut should come back in some shape or form. I feel that those who have been in Smash Brothers should stay in regardless of the reason for inclusion, for in my mind it is a form of respect for the previous editions of the games and those who've played them.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I agree with everything you said, except the Pokémon part. Generation I has the most recognisable pokémon of any gen, you can't compare Charizard with Infernape or Mewtwo with Deoxys, none should be cut.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I agree with everything you said, except the Pokémon part. Generation I has the most recognisable pokémon of any gen, you can't compare Charizard with Infernape or Mewtwo with Deoxys, none should be cut.
In an ideal world, I'd like for no characters to be cut. That said, Sakurai has been saying inconsistent things about the roster (he's said they may have reached the roster limit with Brawl, whilst also saying he wishes to add more new characters yet not remove any), so I'm making assumptions here and saying that some characters won't appear, regardless of their legacy in the Smash community. I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong by the game, but at the moment I'm kind of just making cautious guesses at what'll happen in Smash 4.

That said, I do agree that the first generation is more recognizable than the others. Even so, Jigglypuff in specific isn't even one of the most popular first gen Pokemon - but I guess that's a debate for another day.

The thing that's bugged me the most though is the glaring lack of representation for important games. Games like Wario Land, Mario Land (1 and 2), Mario Bros. 3, A Link To The Past, Link's Awakening, F-Zero (SNES), pretty much every Metroid game other than Super Metroid/Metroid Prime, any Pokemon game from Gen's II and III etc. are important entries into their own franchises but are barely acknowledged outside of a couple of stickers and maybe a MyMusic choice. I guess they've gotta give some games the shaft or else they'll be spreading themselves too thinly.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I was talking more about popularity overall rather than popularity in Smash Bros. and Smash communities. I could argue for dozens of Pokemon which are more popular than Jigglypuff, but Jigglypuff continues to appear in Smash purely because of her Legacy status, having appeared in the original SSB64.
I personally think THAT alone is a good enough reason for her to stay. There's no reason to kick her off now, shes been in 3 games already. Same goes for Ness and Caption Falcon. Sure Ness isn't that relevant anymore, but he's important to the smash series in his own right

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
AHdunuh, I could see a new Mario character (Bowser Jr. stands out), maybe Mewtwo returning along with a representative Gen VI Pokemon, a remodeled SS inspired Link and Zelda like they were from TP to Brawl, similarly redesigned Sheik and Ganon, a couple of retro characters (A few stand out, like Takamaru, Little Mac, or uh well that's it really), maybe a reenvisioned Samus that does more aggressive physical movement.

It's not a subject I have much interest in to be frank. I can see a few characters getting removed, like the third parties, PT, or Lucario, and between 6 and 10 new/returning characters to bring the CSS roster to about 40 total.

CalumG

Smash Lord
AHdunuh, I could see a new Mario character (Bowser Jr. stands out), maybe Mewtwo returning along with a representative Gen VI Pokemon, a remodeled SS inspired Link and Zelda like they were from TP to Brawl, similarly redesigned Sheik and Ganon, a couple of retro characters (A few stand out, like Takamaru, Little Mac, or uh well that's it really), maybe a reenvisioned Samus that does more aggressive physical movement.
Would it rustle anybody's jimmies if I suggested Toad? It's about time we got to see the main cast of Super Mario Bros. 2 duking it out in Smash - especially if they made another SMB2 stage (or bought back Mushroom Kingdom II). He could naturally be based on some of his newer appearances in the New Super Mario Bros. series and Mario Galaxy titles, but his B moves would be a mix of attacks based on both NSMB and SMB2; a representation of the Mario series, both old and new. Plus it'd be cool to see a character of Toad's weight able to hit so hard and pick characters up above his head a la DK.

But now I'm trailing off-topic a bit.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
With a topic like this, it's really easy to just drop back to playable characters. The thing is, I think the development team see series representation encompassed by music, stickers, trophy's, stages, bosses, items, assists, and characters. It's kind of hard for players to get into the same thought process, me thinks.

I'm really looking forward to see more character cameo's throughout the games. I actually enjoyed Dedede sneaking in the background of Dreamland back in Smash 64. I'd like to see more little references like that.

CalumG

Smash Lord
With a topic like this, it's really easy to just drop back to playable characters. The thing is, I think the development team see series representation encompassed by music, stickers, trophy's, stages, bosses, items, assists, and characters. It's kind of hard for players to get into the same thought process, me thinks.

I'm really looking forward to see more character cameo's throughout the games. I actually enjoyed Dedede sneaking in the background of Dreamland back in Smash 64. I'd like to see more little references like that.
I can definitely get on board with that. They could go one step up and reference the Easter Eggs/quirks of the games they're referencing - if they make a stage based on OoT3D they could include a way to make Arwings show up in the background; if they make another Animal Crossing stage or bring back Smashville, it's only right that they include Totaka's Song in it; maybe even a 1 in a million chance of seeing Missingno. from a Pokeball (although I don't see Nintendo allowing them to acknowledge Missingno.)?

D

Deleted member

We all know Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Starfox, Mother, Fire Emblem are no brainers.

Characters that will definitely be in 4th installment: :dk2: :link2: :samus2: :yoshi2: :kirby2: :fox: :pikachu2: :falcon: :jigglypuff: :peach: :bowser2: :popo: :ganondorf: :metaknight: :pit: :olimar: :wario: :ike: :lucas: :diddy: :dedede: :gw: :rob:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
As far as individual game representation we can always see the addition of character skins. So even if the default Link is using the Skyward Sword design skins would allow players to use the Ocarina of Time design, Twilight Princess design, etc.

Stages on the other hand would be tricky in terms of representation as there are a lot more options in which stages to include.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I can definitely get on board with that. They could go one step up and reference the Easter Eggs/quirks of the games they're referencing - if they make a stage based on OoT3D they could include a way to make Arwings show up in the background; if they make another Animal Crossing stage or bring back Smashville, it's only right that they include Totaka's Song in it; maybe even a 1 in a million chance of seeing Missingno. from a Pokeball (although I don't see Nintendo allowing them to acknowledge Missingno.)?
That would be quite a street. Sort of similar to how Pokemon Stadium 2 has a picture of Sakurai's cat hidden on the stage. I'm really interested in what other avenues the team will use to showcase more of Nintendo's history. I really think more subtle nuances is the way to go for this next title.

As far as individual game representation we can always see the addition of
Stages on the other hand would be tricky in terms of representation as there are a lot more options in which stages to include.
Precisely why I find stage talk a bit more interesting. I'm not talking lay-outs or gameplay, but from a purely aesthetic view-point. As it was, Castle Siege was an attempt at capturing the feel of Fire Emblem castles in general. I'm wondering if they'll take this approach for more stages or go for a more character specific approach.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The game should pay homage to the past, throwing in old soundtracks, stages, tropies and maybe even sometimes characters. But I do believe smash should be up to date so long as whats new is well received among the fans.

There's not just one smash game, and TBH i don't think this next one will be the last. It makes sense that a SSB game should, for the most part, represent franchises as they are during that game's era. This doesn't mean throw out the old. Use whats popular in the past but definitely do not leave out the present.

Top Bottom