• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[FrameCancelGimmick] - That's F-air...

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Good day, Gerudos.

Just making a post on this forum to share something I noticed with Ganon today. Some people may have already stumbled across this by chance, but out of all the Ganon players (including myself) that I've mentioned this to, none of them had known about it prior. I also haven't seen it being utilized by other Ganon players in this game yet, so I figured I would make a post about it.

--- --- ---

Firstly, what we already know:

Ganon's aerials can have some of the most horrifying landing lag in the game. Usually, there's a lot of lenience with how you can jump and time his aerials to avoid this, but normally Fair can only be landed without lag if you were to full hop, then start the Fair immediately when you double jump. That has limited uses and only works for chasing/punishing air dodges and such.

--- --- ---

So what about a normal Full Hop Fair?

Regardless of how you do it, there's going to be landing lag if you don't do another input upon landing (or if you weren't on a platform prior to the jump). However, because of how the IASA frames work, you can actually input a special (or another aerial) before you touch the ground to skip all that landing lag.

In most cases, this would still put you in an awkward position due to the lag on all of Ganondorf's air moves. But the timing for full hop immediate Fair, you're able to cancel the move just as Ganon is touching the ground. This means that instead of actually touching the ground with the horrendous landing lag, you can do a grounded special. Normally, this would also be awkward, but it has uses.

For example:

Full Hop Fair > Side+B works at low percentages.
Full Hop Fair > Down+B can punish rolls.
Full Hop Fair > Up+B can punish shields.
Full Hop Fair > Neutral+B can punish Smash attacks; which people would normally attempt if they know exactly how punishable raw Fair's landing lag is.

Generally, Side+B is the best method - even if you're using a retreating Side+B in the opposite direction. This can actually punish rolls behind Ganon or if they slide backward due to the attack poking their shield.

In other situations, you can actually just throw this out to bait reactions. Whiff the Fair and then do an immediate special that you think will work in the situation. It should be noted that each of these are extremely easy to perform except the precise timing necessary for Fair > Down+B. If you press down for the Down+B before Ganon is about to touch the ground (literally the last frames), he will fastfall into the ground and you'll miss the IASA window; which will result in you having the Fair landing lag.

And sadly, it only works for special canceling through this method. I would have been delighted if Fair > Ftilt was an option, but alas. Not through this method. But perhaps there's a similar method that could allow something like that. Who knows? Any feedback or additional discoveries to this would be appreciated. Ganon needs all the help he can get.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
All the good Ganon mains use this...just sayin.

And it's mostly an unnecessary gimmick, and it's better for spacing yourself defensively with Flame Choke than it is for offensive pressure.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It also leads to some funny mindgames in dittos.
"Will he B-cancel it? Will he not?"

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
All the good Ganon mains use this...just sayin.

And it's mostly an unnecessary gimmick, and it's better for spacing yourself defensively with Flame Choke than it is for offensive pressure.
Good Ganon mains actually use non-doublejump Fairs (or Fairs in general)? I've never seen anyone do this yet.

Everyone does empty jumping into things, sure. But not lag canceling Fairs. Lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Good Ganon mains actually use non-doublejump Fairs (or Fairs in general)? I've never seen anyone do this yet.

Everyone does empty jumping into things, sure. But not lag canceling Fairs. Lol
I mean just because you don't see it doesn't mean we haven't known this since forever when @ Vermanubis Vermanubis brought this up during the 3DS era. The reason this doesn't get used more is because it's mostly a situational gimmick.

Ganon for the most part does fine with conventional SHFF spacing for that matter, due to his good shield pushback and the range on his aerials.

You probably didn't know this, but the lag cancel also works on D-air and N-air. It's less obvious because they naturally autocancel during fullhop, but by buffering a special before landing, you save about 5 frames (the hard landing smoke animation is completely skipped when you do this type of land cancel).

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yeah, A2's right. Appreciate the share and the effort put into this, but it's indeed something we've known about since shortly after launch. It definitely does have its uses, e.g. covering options after a Dthrow, following up with a wizkick after landing a FH Fair to cover ground, etc. but you'll notice immediately these're, like my esteemed colleagues mentioned, extremely gimmicky and good for a one-time surprise.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
And this is why I love Smashboards.

> Makes informative post to put spotlight on a gimmick for new and/or uninformed players.
> Includes that people may have already known about it - and would like more extensive feedback to be posted.
> Responses still primarily consist of "This is already known" / focus on the credit for a discovery.

Like... seriously? Lol.

--- --- ---

Back to the gimmick itself though.

Yeah, it's obviously not something you'd want to abuse. It can still be punished if someone is expecting it, but it's still nice for people to know their options and to be able to say "Hey, it's possible for me to use Fair without the landing lag." Breaking down opponents psychologically is an essential part to any competitive gameplay; risks or no. So the more tools to accomplish that, the better.

In the end, that's what it's about. Putting a spotlight on the concept for the people who don't know about it.

And @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG , I'm aware about canceling the other aerials. It's a game mechanic that works with practically every character. But unlike the other situations, Ganondorf's full hop Fair is first cancelable on ground-level. Instead of following the normal ruling where you have to use another aerial or a mid-air special, the game registers his "air" special as being grounded since he's so close to the ground. It's actually a forced scenario with him out of full hop. Other characters, you have to delay the special and input it at a precise frame when they're about to touch the ground for it to register as a "grounded" special.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
You bring up fine points, and like I mentioned, the effort is immensely appreciated. But this is what the AT thread is designed for. Your exposition of the AT's really solid, no question. But the OP was presented in such a way that I'm led to believe you didn't read the AT thread and don't often visit the boards, in which case, you can't get too upset that we're stating that it's information we've covered already. Should we pretend like it's not? :p

Side note: Roy has this same AT, and I think a few others do as well.

Last edited:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, Roy's Fair > Side+B works extremely well using it.

EDIT: So, I was trying to give some lenience about "missing the AT" in the thread-- seeing as how a link was provided to me of the post. But considering the AT thread lacks a proper table of contents or even a thorough description of this gimmick - how would you expect anyone to just point it out through all the posts? Lol

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Dthrow->FHFair->Wizkick Ledge Cancel->Dark Dive Upper Cut Kill

It was pretty hype, I pulled this off in a fame before. I use it as a mind game although sparingly, and if they catc on I mix in fast falls and other specials. Really though this is like a2 said situational but yeah because he's limited we use everything lol, good job.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
After Roy's SH Rising Fair, you can actually buffer a doublejump to skip the landing lag of the fair.

Top Bottom