• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Question: can you perfect wavedash from a shield with someone like fox

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I notice while practicing that i can easily perfect wavedash from a light shield..but i can't seem to get it down with a full shield...

and i think that when i do get it..it's because i'm actually dropping the shield and then just wavedashing..my question is since perfect wavedashing requires you to wavedash before you leave the ground...and certain char have very quick jumps..leaving the ground fast...that may mean it's impossible to perfect wavedash because in the time it takes the L/R button to physically depress so that you can use it to wavedash..you've already left the ground from the jump.

So i wonder if there are certain char who can only wavedash out of a full shield, but are unable to perfect wavedash from a full shield...

and i'm also curious how necessary this is...should i just get used to dropping my shield and then perfect wavedashing to a grab? say if marth whiffs a fsmash..will i have enough time to do that? i mean it doesn't seem that much slower than a wavedash directly from a shield...and usually the knockback on marth's sword seems to require you to perfect wavedash to get in range for the grab with many characters, such as ness.

granted as i said, i can perfect wavedash from a light shield with all the char so i could just do that.

ANyways, thoughts anyone?

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you have to let down your shield, since all characters (except Yoshi) can jump straight out of their shields, so that should save you some time.

3GOD

Smash Ace
To wavedash, the L/R button has to be fully depressed...if you are already holding it down fully for your shield, here is what can happen:

Press X/Y to jump -> Fox leaves the ground on the 4th frame after you press X/Y I believe
Let off L/R on the next frame after hitting X/Y -> You don't have to let off fully...just let the digital "click" go
Repress L/R on the 4th frame to do the wavedash

So in other words, yes you can WD perfectly out of the "heavy" shield with all characters...another trick is to use R to shield and L to do the wavedash.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
even if you use the same button toe shield and wavedash, it should be a problem.

Top Bottom