• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame-Perfect SHL?

Enigmatics

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm a relatively new Falco player and i've just recently started SHLing in matches. My friend tells me it's possible to SHL as fast as non non-shorthopped lasers, which means that my current speed is a lot slower than it should be.

My question is, what is the fastest speed you can SHL? And if i'm not doing it fast enough, what things can I do to speed it up?

Thanks again.

Enigmatics

Smash Rookie
I am, should've specified. But my SHL still isn't the same speed as just tapping B.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Don't worry about firing as fast as a regular laser. The reason for short-hopping it is that there's much less lag, so you can react a lot faster.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
just work on jumping as soon as possible after you fast fall

i find it gets a rhythm going and try to figure the fastest rhythm you can

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
my shl is almost as fast as standing. i dont think you can get as fast as a standing shl. the fastest you can get is how fast you can sh over and over and i dont think thats as fast as standing lasers

to put it into perspective, think of the LHDL, thats the speed of standing lasers, you cant do lasers that fast with shl.

Enigmatics

Smash Rookie
Yeah, after practicing I got it to the speed that I see most people using in vids. Anyway, ty for the help, guys.

GimpyElf

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure that my SHL goes just as fast as standing and shooting or really close to. But like shadydentist said , its not really about how fast you can do it, you just want to use it so you dont have lag afterwards

mathos

Smash Champion
Sorry it took me a while for a good reply. Stupid wii can't use AR.

SHL is way faster than standing laser. To be specific a SHL is 1.5x faster than a standing laser. SHL = 18 frames for 1, and 32 for 2 lasers, whereas a standing lasers is 22 frames for 1 and 48 for 2.

There is never as reason to do a standing laser instead of a SHL.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
my shl is almost as fast as standing. i dont think you can get as fast as a standing shl. the fastest you can get is how fast you can sh over and over and i dont think thats as fast as standing lasers

to put it into perspective, think of the LHDL, thats the speed of standing lasers, you cant do lasers that fast with shl.
Not true--LHDL are fired at a faster speed because air lasers come out faster than ground lasers.

takieddine

Smash Master
Youre probably not jumping as soon as you land on the ground, remember that SHL is autocanceled, so there is virtually no lag, just like 3 frames of the regular get up animation as if you just jumped without doing anything.

Magus420

Smash Master
SHL = 18 frames for 1, and 32 for 2 lasers, whereas a standing lasers is 22 frames for 1 and 48 for 2.
Hmm. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it be :

5 (Jump Startup) + 17 (Min SH FF air time) + 4 (Landing Lag) = 26, which is a tiny bit slower than the repeating ground laser's 24 for every one after the 1st which is 23? Also, why would the 2nd SHL be faster than the 1st SHL?

takieddine

Smash Master
Hmm. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it be :

5 (Jump Startup) + 17 (Min SH FF air time) + 4 (Landing Lag) = 26, which is a tiny bit slower than the repeating ground laser's 24 for every one after the 1st which is 23? Also, why would the 2nd SHL be faster than the 1st SHL?
you are absolutely right.

I thought the original poster just wanted to know how to improve SHL..not do them faster than standing laser, because that is slightly (not too noticeable) faster.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
Because the frame difference is so small, we can ignore it... so SHL is almost as fast as a standing laser. The most important aspect of SHL being "faster" is that you can move while you're firing a laser as opposed to staying rooted in the ground.

GimpyElf

Smash Rookie
This is all going back to Invertigo's question about whether his SHL should be faster than stnading...

Magus420, I don't think there is a landing lag because you fast falled which makes it so you can immediately jump after you hit the ground. If I'm right, then the SHL would be a little bit faster than shooting standing.

All this is pretty much irrelovent though. SHL'ing is a good thing to use because there is no windup lag, making it good to combo the brains out of people ( and to tick them off)
If you SHL someone and it hits, they will be stunned for a bit which gives you time to start your combo.

mathos

Smash Champion
There's landing lag, Magus is right I just didn't detail it

And the frame difference is very significant. Thats like saying you should jab instead of shine, its only 4 frames.

GimpyElf

Smash Rookie
Ah, didn't know there was landing lag

Still besides the point......shooting on the ground gives very bad windup lag where you're pretty vulnerable. So SHL'ing is better regardless of how fast you can do it

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
For what it's worth, Falco's SH frames are actually 6, not 5, so tack on one more frame, which makes that little bit more of a difference between the fluid time of lasers between SHL'ing and standing lasers. Don't worry about trying to make your SHLs as fast as your standing lasers, as far as I know, you can't. Instead, worry about trying to be able to control them perfectly: if you want them to skim the floor, be able to make them skim the floor; if you want them to be near the peak of your jump before you FF them, be able to. That's where the real money lies ;)

mathos

Smash Champion
DJ: controlling lasers, as such to skim the ground, are not typically used in competitive play. Yes its good to be able to do it, but you won't need to shoot low lasers mid advance or retreat.

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
The faster your SHL becomes, the farther away from the ground each laser gets. So yeah, to restate what everyone else said, it's not all about speed (though it helps.) If you want to get super insane at SHLs, practice advancing on, hitting, and retreating from a crouched character like Shiek :D

(Note: not much point to actually getting that down. If you force the oppponent to crouch, you've succeeded anyway. They are effectively immobilized--albeit not stunned...)

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Granted Mathos, but it's the aspect of ultimate control that, if honed, makes your Falco a death machine. It may or may not come up in actual play, but it can be an interesting added bonus. In teams play, I use skimming lasers to save my partner as he's recovering when he is barely above the stage.

+ You can hit the douchebag small characters who hold crouch =P [The dumb people I play with do that because the other falcos that play with us are horrible and can't figure out how to hit them, so they just wait in crouch and shield grab lol]

Top Bottom