• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Analysis for HunyBear from that match on the Link Discord

LegendaryLinkPlayer

Smash Rookie

Q&A

What am I looking at?
This is a chart of all the possible outcomes of Link's Up throw into Dair on Fox at 96% at Full DI (1.000) Away when Link has the higher port and Link's upthrow is not staled.

How to read the chart?
The Column on the left represents the number of frames Link has to dash before he jumps. The Middle section is a frame map of what action state Link is in, with the bolded Da being when down airs hitbox comes out. The Right Column is the result assuming perfect play from the fox.

What do the results mean?
True combos are inescapable, fake combos have 1 frame where the fox can shine out, and Buffer Jump Out are instances where the fox can buffer jump out. It should be noted that it takes Link 8 frames of dash to catch up with the fox at this percent, anything below this causes the Dairs intial hitbox to whiff, buffer jump works here as well.

Conclusion:
This is a very specific interaction taken from a real game between high level players, there's very little reason to believe this will affect the average Link's tournament run. As you will have been eliminated long before the quality of your opponents reaches this point.

Last edited:

LegendaryLinkPlayer

Smash Rookie
If you go from 1.000 to 0.9875 (which is the most common) for the Di value, the minimum dash frames drop from 8 to 5, These extra 3 frames can be applied to the leniency in the dair timing. With a 2 frame true combo for a 7 frame dash, 3 frame true combo for a 6 frame dash, and a 4 frame true combo for a 5 frame dash. This leniency is also generous; meaning it provides benefits outside of the 1 for 1 frame windows I described. For the best consistency I would recommend buffering dash drills.

Last edited:

LegendaryLinkPlayer

Smash Rookie
The reason 0.9875 is the most common DI is that the gamecube controller cannot poll a full x value of 1.0000 if there is any y value read. You would never be able to sustain a run speed of 1.0000 because of the analog stick is super jank and you'd need to hold it on a specific "pixel". But DI is only read on 1 frame and it got me wondering how significant is the probability of polling a 1.0000 on any given throw. So I went into 20xx and programed Buffer Jump Out on 1.0000 with the Link and Fox fully automated. All I had to do was input the DI on the throw. Then I cycled through my 4 gamecube controllers to test the polling consistency of each one. Here are the results.

1) One of my controllers couldn't even poll 1.0000 in the 20xx menu, it was a retired limited edition Japanese one that I'm mainly keeping because the case is sick. Unclear if the failure to poll 1.0000 is due to the model or the use.
2) The second controller was another interesting case. I got it to poll 1.0000 in the 20xx menu fairly consistently but when I went to conduct the DI test I missed every single time. I tried maybe 40-50 times before I realized that the analog stick might have been slightly off center when I plugged it in (the DI tests are done in succession) I reset the controller and could hit 1.0000 maybe 5% of the time, if that. But only on the left. I believe it's an OG 3rd gen controller.
3) The third controller had similar results to the second except that the analog stick box was less loose which made the base polling more consistent.
4) I saved the most interesting controller for last. A relatively unused Smash4 controller, not only was it the only controller to poll a 1.0000 on both sides of the y axis. I was able to perform full DI with 3 times the consistency of the other controllers. I could even get successive successes by holding the analog stick just very slightly up in the left notch. It was cool to get a feel for it over many attempts. It might also be of note that this is the only controller whose case I've never opened.

Last edited:

LegendaryLinkPlayer

Smash Rookie
TLDR.
Due to a polling anomaly inside the gamecube controller's jank, analog stick boxes there is a ~2% chance ( ¯\(ツ)/¯ ) for your opponent to DI Link's Upthrow so that it is significantly more difficult to combo into Dair. Personally I've switched to claw grip when I perform this combo because first/second frame Dairs have huge benefits to consistency, as it is easy to lose frames on both the Dash and Jump frame windows. Also B0xx's have a 100% chance of this "anomaly". So if you're not clawing, I wouldn't even bother.

Top Bottom