• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Foxtrot Cancelling with Samus

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I have been really having trouble with this, any thoughts? It might just be because her initial dash animation is so small but ugh. After watching Depths slick movement against Kid G @ STR 2015 I realized I really need to step up my movement game...

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I've seen ESAM do it and Depth_ Depth_ , but I cannot do it at all.

Also can't perfect pivot very reliably. And tbh, knowing how bad Samus is, she needs both of these movements mastered. She doesn't have much of an approach outside of mediocre projectile spam, so mixing it up with this foxtrot cancel > perfect pivot could really help mind game and condition our opponent to our liking.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
A good mix-up for close-up movement is a fake-out dash attack/grab.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Foxtrot canceling with Samus is quite delayed. Practice doing it one way then another. Eventually, the timing with come to you.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
For some reason it is much easier to do it on stages with grass... weird

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
It's really something that you're just not likely to develop overnight. For instance, I wasn't able to reliably PP until months after practicing and applying into my game. Fox trot canceling is a little less strict than PPs, but the same issue still applies. I don't mean to discourage you or anyone else, but I just want you to look at them with realistic expectations.

The real reason that fox trot canceling is good is that it lets you get a feel for your opponent not with unsafe moves, but with how they react to the space that you threaten. Samus has one of the best dash attacks in the game, and your opponents know it. However, it isn't the safest approach. Fox trot canceling can get you the right windows, as well as screwing with people's spacing and giving you free punishes. That's where I see the value in it.

Tl;dr fox trot canceling can help you safely get a feel for your opponent's habits not with your attacks, but simply with the space your attacks threaten.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Afro Smash Afro Smash Are you saying grass stages have less traction and stuff, or something like that? I mean, I know the ice loosens traction on Pokemon Stadium.

Last edited:

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Grass stages have more traction, less slippery
Thanks, just tested when I got home. Noticed right away. Is there vids with Samus foxtrot canceling? I can only ever do one at a time. It's not easy like Little Mac's.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I guess some people on Reddit have made audio clips with cues of when to time your foxtrot cancels for different characters. Maybe that could be an option??

Just thought that was an interesting idea.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Even with all those tutorials explaining how its done, I still don't know what to do. Foxtrot cancel that is.

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
I use foxtrot canceling like it's bread and butter. For those of you guys struggling, you won't get this down in a 3 hour training session, or even a good day or two. It took me a week of consistent foxtrot training with Sammy to get it down. When you input the initial dash, release the stick as soon as you can so that the next inputs for the foxtrot are easier, and have no chance of interruption from your original input. If you really wanna practice this, start using Captain Falcon, Marth, and Little Mac, as they have amazing foxtrots that are relatively easy to input compared to Samus.

When you get this down, you'll realize the plethora of options that come out of this. I use it virtually everywhere as a bait and punish option, if you've watched my gameplay videos you'd see it come out. Samus has a really good foxtrot believe it or not, it may seem slow, but it covers much more distance than you realize, and is significantly faster than other characters (For example, Sheik, or Rosa). Just keep practicing it guys, it'll take a while, but it's a key movement option for Samus. Tech in this game is much more important and should be used like bread and butter for bad characters like Sammy.http://smashboards.com/members/annihilat®.337384/

Scream

Smash Apprentice
I use foxtrot canceling like it's bread and butter. For those of you guys struggling, you won't get this down in a 3 hour training session, or even a good day or two. It took me a week of consistent foxtrot training with Sammy to get it down. When you input the initial dash, release the stick as soon as you can so that the next inputs for the foxtrot are easier, and have no chance of interruption from your original input. If you really wanna practice this, start using Captain Falcon, Marth, and Little Mac, as they have amazing foxtrots that are relatively easy to input compared to Samus.

When you get this down, you'll realize the plethora of options that come out of this. I use it virtually everywhere as a bait and punish option, if you've watched my gameplay videos you'd see it come out. Samus has a really good foxtrot believe it or not, it may seem slow, but it covers much more distance than you realize, and is significantly faster than other characters (For example, Sheik, or Rosa). Just keep practicing it guys, it'll take a while, but it's a key movement option for Samus. Tech in this game is much more important and should be used like bread and butter for bad characters like Sammy.
While i can easily do it, i dont belive it has many useful applications as samus.
Her game doesnt seem to benefit at all from this tech, bar some exceptions.

Can you give me a few examples of useful application?

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
While i can easily do it, i dont belive it has many useful applications as samus.
Her game doesnt seem to benefit at all from this tech, bar some exceptions.

Can you give me a few examples of useful application?

At 1 minute 21 seconds here, you'll see a foxtrot cancel force a whiff with an immediate dash attack punish.

Same thing at 41 seconds, this time with a grab.

Fox trot > pp charge shot is also a pretty good unexpected fakeout that catches a surprising amount of people.

But like I said before, foxtrot canceling is best used to condition just by threatening space in an irratic and unpredictable manner, and can be used as another relatively safe tool to get a feel for people's habits and their modes of adaptation.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
That's a regular Foxtrot, not Foxtrot canceling.
I use Shield dashing -> dash back -> RAR SH Z-Air for spacing. I'm not a fan of Foxtrot because Samus has such a good shield dash.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Nah, I'm foxtrot canceling there. Look closely. I fox trot in one direction to force a whiff, then foxtrot cancel into another foxtrot to dash attack / grab.

Last edited:

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Is shield dash where you dash and hold shield a bit later? Samus has one of the best shield dashes in the game because it comes super fast unlike Falcon's. Greninja's is also good, but Samus's is better since she's slower.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I did not realize some characters were able to put up shields faster. How would you use shield-dashing as a replacement for foxtrot cancelling?

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I did not realize some characters were able to put up shields faster. How would you use shield-dashing as a replacement for foxtrot cancelling?
I would only use shield dash if I'm sure the opponent would resort to an offensive option that's faster than our dash attack and dash grab. Our dash attack is frame 10. Using it up close is not very smart because it gets stuffed by a lot of things. If you're sure your opponent will mash a button shield dash forward to shield and punish. You may even get a perfect shield. However, smash isn't that simple. Shield dashing isn't a replacement. It's a far more defensive option than foxtrot canceling. If your opponent catches on, you will either get grabbed frequently or have your shield broken. Our shield is also quite bad. Our shield grab is terrible and our shield drop options are very weak. Shield dashing isn't a final answer. Only use it if you're trying to have your opponent misspace their offensive options for easier, although limited, punishes.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I think our oos options are pretty good, since jumping cancels shield at any frame of shielding and (sh) nair / rar bair/ ff uair are all good, and if theyre on us, upb is sick and if theyre above the percent threshold perfect parry into jab 1 sets up a bunch of different stuff.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Example (Regular Foxtrot):
Actually, what I was referring to was simple flicking the stick in one direction then immediately flicking it back into a grab/dash attack. I wish I could show you what I meant. This is nice though. Her foxtrot is great.

Top Bottom