• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's WaveShine.

AustinTheSmasher

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble wavedashing out of a shine. It's the only thing I really have trouble doing with Fox. What's the secret to it? I've only done it about 4 times, by fluke. Any help or advice?

Mune

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Mune#719
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to wait a few frames before you WD out of it. I'm just OKAY with it, and can pull it off, but I still have a ways to go.

Doraki

Smash Lord
Mune : If the shine hits your opponent it'll be frozen for a few frames, so you have to wait a little before jump-cancelling and wavedashing out of it.
If the shine doesn't hit anyone you can jump-cancel it instantly though..

Austin : just practice. I usually slide my thumb from the B button to the Y button to waveshine, while flicking the control stick in the right direction.. (but waveshining backwards with this seems difficult).
Practice, practice, and practice. And then, some more practice.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Nigh-mindless repitition as a form of practicing got it down for me (personally), but I also added in another dimension to waveshining that greatly increased my consistency with it (again, personally), barring finger slippage or random refusal of my fingers to do what my Fox demands they do. Now, with me, everything seems to be a mental matter, i.e. if I actually think about something a different way, I will probably be able to nail it down no problem. This very occurence applies to my waveshining. When I first attempted waveshining, I would go to do it and be thinking simply "waveshine", and my fingers would slip up or randomly miss Y (what I use for the wavedash's jump) numerous times on end. Finally, I just decided to think about it differently; instead of thinking "waveshine" when I did it, I thought "shine and wavedash", separating out the two components in my mind. I found that this greatly increased my consistency with the waveshine now to near-100% (and I would prefer it to be at 100%, but what can ya do...). In addition, this method literally taught my hands to "reset", so to speak, after the shine in preparation for the wavedash, allowing me to waveshine both backwards and forwards very consistently and without fear of random SD's from a stumbling or sluggish finger. After discovering this technque, I applied it to other advanced aspects of my Fox's game, including such fun things as shuffling a sex kick into a waveshine into an up-smash, drill shining, and drill shine recoveries, all of which are now extremely consistent thanks to this mental technique.

Give this a try, Austin. It may just be a personal thing, but perhaps it will do for you what it has done for me.

D1

Banned via Administration
I'm new to the conventions used on this board, but not the game. In order to execute this "Waveshine" I have to first down-B then press X (short jump) diagonal down forward (backward) R, and press down B again?

I used Fox for many years and never new about wavedashing or shinedashing till I registered here.

Thanks guys! I'll try to put this into practice.

AustinTheSmasher

Smash Rookie
I can do it a few times now, but not as consistently as I would like. I've definitely improved over-all. If I were a 5/10 last week, then I'm a 7-8/10 this week.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Faster than it took me geez WD alone took me like 10 weeks to Master

lol i know I suck

EDIT: well not 10 more like 6 but still your catching on fast

Yatta Dante

Smash Cadet
I have been waveshining with the L trigger and Y. However, though this way has been more comfortable for me, my waveshine distance is limited because of timing issues. I get a smoother and longer waveshine when I use the R trigger, but I just don't seem to be that good at it's execution. I can't even hit the waveshine twice yet using R trigger.

I'll keep practicing. I hope something gives.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Everything's pretty much covered, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. FOr the control stick, what I do is I do a hadouken like movement, front and back, which for me is a lot easier than repositioning it everytime.

OM3N

Smash Cadet
It helps to go to training mode, the cut the speed to 1/2. Once you master the waveshining at that speed, turn it up to 3/4. Finally when you master it at that speed, you can turn it up to normal. Thats what I did today and now i can get about 8/9 out of 10 waveshines. =P

Top Bottom