• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's up-air

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
As a low gravity character I suggest you all practice Smash DIing out of Fox's up-air. Smash DI is, simply, pressing a direction during the hitlag of an attack to move in that direction. Hitlag results from being touched by any attack, it's the very short pause between when you're hit and when you're sent flying. There are two analog stick tricks to do this:

1. Circle SDI - rotate the analog stick in a circle when you see him approaching for an up-air. The main problem with this one is, though, that you can also smash DI up and down which may not move you out of the hitbox at all, depending on where you're at. This would be most useful for if you're unfamiliar with Smash DI timing.

2. Wiggle SDI - Tap the analog stick left and right quickly. This will guarantee you an escape so long as he doesn't have a lot of momentum in either direction that you're wiggling in. If he does, however, you can always modify it to quarter-circle SDI (move the analog stick between down and forward if he's moving towards you, back and forward if coming in from behind, etc.)

The overall goal (in simple terms) is to press a direction away from Fox within the first couple of frames that you are hit with the first hit of his up-air, which will move you out of the hitbox for the second hit.

Old news, maybe, but I still see Peach players getting ***** by the up-air.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
This should go in the info directory. It's a very important skill to master. (I haven't perfected it myself yet, but I am practicing my DI.)

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Does smash DI get me out of waveshines too?
Smash DI forward (away) from the shine will give you a little bit of extra distance in which he might miss. As for drill shining, the drill will give you ~5 hitboxes (depending on when he fastfalls it) to Smash DI out of it, but the window on it is extremely small due to the low amount of damage it does. Your best bet would be to quarter circle SDI away from him (wiggle between down-forward and up-forward.) qc-SDIing up could put you on the offensive (neutral air him out of the shine,) but will give you less distance to travel to actually get away from the shine.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
First off, SDIing Fox's Uair isn't an uber tactic that should be learned by everyone, you should learn to DI fox's uthrow instead. If you still feel compelled to escape the uair, here's how to do it. First, learn the timing for the first hit of fox's uair. Single SDI it away from fox horizontally. Jam the two side directions if you feel it necessary. Also, hold the c stick up in order to asdi it upward making it so that the fox has to place it near perfectly to land. SDIing drillshines is extremely easy. Hitlag is almost all of the time you're being drilled. just jam to the side a bunch, and you'll be out for sure.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
First off, SDIing Fox's Uair isn't an uber tactic that should be learned by everyone, you should learn to DI fox's uthrow instead. If you still feel compelled to escape the uair, here's how to do it. First, learn the timing for the first hit of fox's uair. Single SDI it away from fox horizontally. Jam the two side directions if you feel it necessary. Also, hold the c stick up in order to asdi it upward making it so that the fox has to place it near perfectly to land. SDIing drillshines is extremely easy. Hitlag is almost all of the time you're being drilled. just jam to the side a bunch, and you'll be out for sure.
Are you following me now? ;b

I agree that it's not an amazing tactic, but when it comes to high-level play every technique helps. Since Peach is a sitting duck from an up-throw, it's a fairly good technique to learn.

Wuss

Smash Champion
agree, I find it easier to DI out of the throw. The only problem with that is that a good fox could read it and still uair you, which is why it's probably best to DI the throw, and then wiggle SDI to a jump so that you can escape it. maybe just my opinion...
I don't even play peach :)

Top Bottom