• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Metagame (Compilation)

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
PLEASE NOTE:
This is not a book of basic strategies/tactics used by fox to beat other characters (See "The Big Book of Fox Matchups") . This thread is for fox players who are having trouble with a specific aspect of any other brawl characters and need answers fast.

"What is a Metagame?"
Metagame "a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. In other words, using out-of-game information to affect one's in-game decisions. " This thread is geared directly towards specific instances and difficulties fox encounters during play and the tips/answers that could be supplied for each question.

Feel free to post your own specific questions here and it will almost surely be answered and pasted on this first post.

I will start this thread with posts that I have read/answered. Let's get started...

INDEX:
To quickly find the answers to any of these questions, press ctrl + f and type in the labels to get sent directly to the question.

Metaknight:
MK 1) How to deal with shuttle loop?

Lucas:
Lucas 1) How can I kill a Lucas after sending him flying off the stage?

Zelda:
Zelda 1) How do I counter Zelda's smashes and forward B's?

Olimar:
Olimar 1) How do I deal with Olimar's smashes (uSmash in particular)?

METAKNIGHT

MK 1) I'm having more trouble than I should countering MK players who spam shuttle loop. Can anyone tell me how to punish this move exactly? Any other Fox vs. MK tips? I hate fighting these lil' overpowered freaks >_<

MK's Shuttle Loop is one you should think about avoiding rather than punishing. Based on how the MK plays, you have different options on how to counter a shuttle-loop-spamming MK.

1. block > grab
2. jump over Shuttle Loop hit box > dAir > any follow up
3. just avoid it and spam lasers til he changes his game.

If you are encountered with a shuttle loop in the air, just airdodge your way down to the ground or if you are DIRECTLY above MK, try to drill because it should make contact and MK should be spiralling down with you.

As for fighting MKs in general, don't go crazy on the offensive. You have range, so abuse it on the MK until he comes charging at you. Stay defensive with block > grab and uTilts. If you see yourself losing in a certain instance, back off of MK and simply restart your defense.

NEVER... attempt to follow up an MK off the stage. (Answer by: Gamble)

LUCAS

Lucas 1) How can I kill a Lucas after sending him flying off the stage?

If he is close enough, you can easily disrupt his up B by:

1. Reflecting it out of his way with down B
2. nAir him to knock him back a little more
3. jump > dAir Lucas under the stage to make his up B harder to angle for the edge.

Otherwise, if he is too far for any of these things, just edge guard so he either falls to his death or he overshoots the edge. Then he'll be open for punishment with an uSmash or a dSmash or whatever you want to finish him off. (Answer by: Gamble)

ZELDA

Zelda 1) I play Zelda users and all they usually do when i get close they start spamming all of their smashes and there is no lag between them, how do i counter this?

Zelda's a slow character so you can "SHOOT LASERS BETWEEN DEFENSES" (thanks guys) on her to rank up damage and not having to worry about being punished because you stayed in the laser position for too long (SH double laser works as well). You don't have to worry much on her forward b because you can easily shield/reflect it (down b does not reflect it back at zelda, it just acts as a shield). This makes it so you don't have to forcefully approach zelda and it gives you the freedom of staying on the defensive. In this situation of ranged battling, Fox overpowers Zelda. So if you keep shooting lasers, it's likely that zelda will be coming for you instead of you coming for her, making it easier on your side of the fight.

Another helpful thing to know about Zelda is that she does not do really well in the air, so if you want to keep pressure on the player, try to keep zelda afloat constantly which should'nt be hard for fox since most of his attacks lead to tossing the opponent into the air.

As for approaching zelda and depending on how good the player is, you can either dAir > uSmash at high percentage or if she spams smashes, you can charge at her > block > grab.

How to K.O. Zelda - uSmash @ 95%. (Answer by Gamble)

OLIMAR

Olimar 1) I am having a ton of trouble beating my friends Olimar. His smashes are insanely good, especially his up smash which tears me apart. I also have a pretty hard time approaching him, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I noticed that if you stay too far away from olimar, he seems to have a huge advantage over fox. The trick to playing against olimar in my opinion would be to stay close to him at all times in order to pressure him to get some distance.

If you fight Olimar mid-range, you're almost surely going to lose since his Pikmin specialize in mid-range fighting. So your best bet would be to hug onto olimar, but be smart about it.

Fox has a really strong advantage over olimar through arial attacks. Since Olimar can only smash horizontally or strictly vertically, coming at an angle with a SH fAir or dAir can be helpful. One thing I learned is that if Olimar attempts to uSmash while fox does his dAir, almost certainly Fox's dAir wins because he cancels out the pikmin and then drills into olimar.

As far as lasering goes, don't waste your time camping an Olimar. If the Olimar is quick, he'll easily punish you for staying in your laser position for too long, and that's definately not what you would want.

There are two really easy ways to kill an Olimar: Vertical KO or edge gimping.

Of course fox specializes in killing almost any character through an uSmash at around the range of 80% to 115% (this includes all light to all heavy characters). Because Olimar is classified as a light character, you can easily Vertically KO him through an uSmash at around 90% for a sure kill.

Another KO technique that could be situational is when you edge gimp an Olimar through edge hogging while Olimar has no other options when he is off the stage. If you have olimar near the edge of the stage, you can do an easy combo of dAir > dSmash which will launch Olimar in a downward direction, a really hard recovery for olimar if you edgeguard. Just remember not to stay on the edge for too long just in case he gets smart and smacks you with a fAir =).

In order to kill Olimar, I prefer doing a dAir > uSmash combo at high percentage because it's almost always a certain kill, but don't forget you have the other option of gimping Olimar on the edge. (Answer by: Gamble)

Once again, Feel free to post your own specific questions here and it will almost surely be answered and pasted on this first post.

-Gamble

Erucolindo86

Smash Rookie
This is a great thread for quick references, good job Gamble.
My friend has a nasty nasty Wolf, what do people think about that match up?

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
What in particular does your wolf friend do that makes him tough? A video-demonstration of his playstyle would be great if it's available

brg

Smash Ace
I find wolf annoying too, he can actually block nairs with his reflector, which is pretty annoying, and has very good dsmash speed/power.
With fox you pretty much have to get close to kill...and vs wolf if you miss an approach you get either reflected or dsmashed.
That being said I didnt try grabbing enough vs wolf, and im still unsure of dairs effifiency vs his reflector.
The only thing I can say is he can be comboed fairly easily, but thats almost true for the majority of fox matchups...

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
I agree with you guys. Wolf in a sense overpowers fox with all his priority over fox's attacks and his really annoying lasers which interrupt.

If the Wolf is aggressive, you can always resort to a block > grab defense or dodge when he picks up on your game. After he does try to counter your block > grab, you can usually change your style to offensive which he might not expect.

Just alternate between those two and see how that runs.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Does Fox have any reliable moves that clink or outprioritize Metaknight's Tornado? I looked in the Big Book of Fox Matchups first but nothing there mentioned how to deal with the Tornado. Thanks.

Wiz

Smash Cadet
Does Fox have any reliable moves that clink or outprioritize Metaknight's Tornado? I looked in the Big Book of Fox Matchups first but nothing there mentioned how to deal with the Tornado. Thanks.
Gamble, don't get offended when I answer this question for you.
ANY attack, when MK uses Tornado, from ABOVE hits, since his hitbox doesn't reach above. So just use dair
Also, try fSmashing...i think it works

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
I don't mind other people answering questions. This is a thread where we can come together and ask/answer fox problems. So, don't sweat it =)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Gamble, don't get offended when I answer this question for you.
ANY attack, when MK uses Tornado, from ABOVE hits, since his hitbox doesn't reach above. So just use dair
Also, try fSmashing...i think it works
Well I know the above thing, but any legit Meta knows that too and therefore works around that by approaching from above or from close enough where you don't have time to jump above them and then come down and Dair. I'll try Fsmash though. Thanks. :) Maybe SideB could work too? I dunno. It's usually weird attacks like that that can clink it for some reason.

EDIT: Nair clinks it. Very nice. :)

Race

Smash Lord
man .. .I rememebr gamble when he was

------------------------------
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l

yey high, lol

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Good advice, well made thread (Y). Especially like the overall hatred for MKs shuttle loop =D. Psy.

brg

Smash Ace
I have a question (would test myself but im at work :D)

Can charging dsmash be a good way to edgeguard? I mean if you time it correctly, will it hit before the enemy grabs the ledge with his up-b?

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
I have a quick question a lot of characters have combos on Fox because he's a fast faller, do you know any move that can interrupt these combos.

For example Marth and Metaknight can up B outta a few combos. Can Fox DI and shine out of anything?

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
I have a quick question a lot of characters have combos on Fox because he's a fast faller, do you know any move that can interrupt these combos.

For example Marth and Metaknight can up B outta a few combos. Can Fox DI and shine out of anything?
The fastest moves that pop out of fox is his nAir and his down B. you can use either or to get yourself out of combos, but i prefer his reflector (Down b) because it can actually bounce you up a bit just in case fox misses the hit with his shine.

His dAir can also cancel out combos, but you'll have to be planted right above them and hopefully they don't have priority over your attack.:laugh:

-Gamble

Bug~

Smash Ace
Hey Gamble, What are the best stages for Fox? Whats the best neutral map hes good at and counterpicks.

Thanks.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
How should I play my game with a Luigi, especially when I'm a crazy aerial Fox freak? My greatest weakness in Smash is that I simply play crazy but I don't think about the opponent. A big flaw. What will be my most effective move against a Luigi that spams aerials?

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
Hey Gamble, What are the best stages for Fox? Whats the best neutral map hes good at and counterpicks.

Thanks.
This question was brought up previously in another thread. I'll copy/paste what I had to say about this matter...

"Definately don't pick Pokemon Stadium. The edges on that stage are weirder than melee's and you can easily get caught under the edge and not grabbing it when you try to recover.

Generally, pick stages with low ceilings and no funky edges for your counterpick with fox. The more specific choice of stage should depend on the character you are fighting.

-Gamble"

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
Yeah Gamble, Nair does break the Tornado.
I've tried nAiring a couple times against a metaknights mach tornado and it sometimes fails me. I guess there's a sense of timing that needs to be known and memorized in order for the nAir to be very effective. If not, it's best just to shield through the whole thing and then punish the MK for spamming such an overpowered move:laugh:

Zhamy

Smash Champion
How do you use Jab effectively?

I've mostly gone for Jab->Grab->Dthrow as a setup, but I'm wondering how else to implement it in my game.

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
you could do a dAir > jab combo for some cheap damage at low percentages, cuz dAir > uTilt doesn't work that well at 0%. You do risk getting punished after they break out of your jab combo however.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Does jab combo into any tilts? I'm still trying to find a use for Dtilt (It's not the Melee Dtilt anymore, unfortunately...)

Samigi

Smash Cadet
Anybody know who that is? All it is says, is that he used a certain space animal....It's also glad to hear someones besides Snake and Meta win

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
I sent you a PM gamble, but everyone can use the info.

Is there a way ( shine perhaps) to escape Pika's chain grab on Fox?

80% minimum grab is crippling to Fox. Although, we can upSmash kill Pika at 86% which helps.

Edit: first post! w00t!

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
I sent you a PM gamble, but everyone can use the info.

80% minimum grab is crippling to Fox. Although, we can upSmash kill Pika at 86% which helps.

Edit: first post! w00t!
I have'nt found any real way around pikachu's chain grab up to 80% unless you can avoid getting grabbed, which is really hard. If you can be tricky and fish out pikachu's attack and then punish him, good for you. Other than that, you jus thave to fight Pikachu's at 80% =)

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Has anyone tried DI/Shine stall out of it? Or is the hitstun too long?

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, the only way to deal with Pika's CG that I know of is to take the 80% every time you get grabbed or pick up a secondary character purely to counter him. Just make sure (if you do get grabbed) that you get ready to avoid the follow up attack, most Pikas will usually follow it with an upsmash -> lightning which KO's you.

Even if you're playing really careful - all they need is one powershield and they can land it.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
Not completely sure about this, but I think you can escape the cg at 60% by SDI'ing and shining. I need to test this a bit more.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I think you can actually get out of the chaingrab after 60. You have DI and jump and that gets you out of any upsmash follow up too. I remember computers getting out of it around there before. But i could be wrong.

Top Bottom