• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs Planking

Zephil

Smash Ace
Well I haven´t seen a thread like this so I decided to made it. Now is more common to see players planking to win matches so we need to be prepared for those moments. Fox doesn´t have anyway to plank but more important is to discuss how can we stop the opponent from planking.

The only ideas I have are:

Jump out of the stage backwards so that you are seeing the edge and coming back to the stage with the foxcopter.

I think stalling shine near the edge is not so safe but maybe it could work with some chars like Pit

Usmashing the char in the edge but that only works with some chars...

any other ideas

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Everything is risky. Fox gets destroyed by planking, much like Falco does. The solution? Planking is pseudo-banned in most places. Not sure about Panama, though.

Zephil

Smash Ace
well here planking is not popular but i have seen a couple trying it... what do you mean by pseudo-banned... the rule of a maximum amount of ledge grabs?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
pseudo-banned, as in, soft banned. People just have a common courtesy agreement to not do it, so it doesn't happen.

The absolute best defense against planking is to use your laser and quick jumps to make sure that they never get a lead.

_X_

Smash Lord
Planking is pseudo-banned. And although it doesn't happen often more likely than not you'll find it's a Pit or Metaknight.

All you have to do is bail to the other side of the stage. In this way, Metaknight can't touch you and Pit will just fire arrows - hold up your shine. Get the T.O and tell him that the other player is stalling just shooting arrows.

We had a slight problem in Melbourne ... I suppose people got around it and it wasn't as viable a strategy so it stopped happening.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
too bad you can't actually call someone for stalling by planking/just shooting arrows. You'd be stalling just as much by standing there/ shining.

*CT*

Smash Lord
too bad you can't actually call someone for stalling by planking/just shooting arrows. You'd be stalling just as much by standing there/ shining.
I guess it would have to be the T.O's decision on that one, my opinion is that the person planking is at fault, I just did some friendlies with a few friends who sub-mained MK and was told not to approach at all and to just fire that lasa. I usually approach and do ok. But yeah for tournaments, they told me to just use that laser and let the timer run out.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
But yeah for tournaments, they told me to just use that laser and let the timer run out.
Why..

Fox's camping game is centered around forcing approaches and stopping their camping, not timing out the other person. It's ridiculously difficult for Fox to time out most characters.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Planking is stupid....especially in teams. I hate when the opponent is tanking stock by planking...I end up focusing on the planking and then I get hit my the opponent's teammate.

I fail.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if someone's planking in teams, it means that they are leaving their opponent to get double teamed, the WORST possible thing to have happen in brawl doubles. If they don't have a teammate left, then they're losing and can't plank.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you can't be M2K's sheik in Melee in brawl doubles. I worded it that way for a reason. 2v1 isn't nearly as bad in Melee as it is in brawl

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
frankly........Planking may be annoying but characters like G&W, Marth or MK WILL have planking as an option if they think its best.

in this situation....I found a usefull trick that COULD work. ( it allways depends on the Fox player....and it ussually works for me)

trick= go near the ledge (use your better judgement) and do a quick 'dash dance' to mindgame the planker a bit and from there.....Fox may have a couple of options.

1= after 'dash dancing', the opponnent may have attempted to hit you on the ledge giving you a well timed
'UP Smash'.

2=after 'dash dancing'........(RISKY, SO LETS BE SMART) you may ATTEMPT to go off the edge with an 'UP Air'.
This will bring the planker back in the air giving you more options for follow up attacks.......or your 'UP Air' will end out killing the planker depending on percentage...... (FASTFALLING AN 'UP AIR' OFF THE STAGE WILL PROBABLY KILL YOU, SO NO FASTFALLING.....but you Fox players out their probably knew that. LOL)

I hope this helps out some Fox players out there.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
what about a shine? wouldnt that work to?
the LAST thing you want to do is shine a planker off the ledge.....if the opponent planks.......then its most likely a character with an impressive / non-flinching 'up-B' with lots of priority.

'UP Air' has a bit more range then shine, it also has a double hit, and will bring the planker back UP. (you wouldn't want to start gimping a planker.....WAY too risky.)

a character which CAN plank would most likely bring you to a stage spike and your shine and stuff would NOT do anything........

you might have another strategy entirely but thats how I deal with plankers. It works for me (not 100% of the time, I can screw up after all)

ps: shining OFF the edge is AWESOME.....but against a planker.............its quite risky.

Top Bottom