• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs Mario

1nf3ct3d

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!

Whenever i play vs my friend he mostly wins, 2 stock, sometimes 1 stock, and if i play ****ty 3 stock. But with that ****ing mario he always 4/5 stocks me. I play fox and i have no idea what to do. Its especially hard on dreamland. It feels like i have no room to do smth. He "camps" mostly on the edge and on the platform above and either he shoots fireballs or just waits until i approach. If i come with and aerial attack he just makes shield, grabs me throws me from the stage, sometimes even kills without even beeing hit before, cause one drill, one fair and im dead..

Do i have to shdl from wide range and wait until he approaches? The problem is that i cant do that consistently, and if i do it he just shoots an fireball and while lasers i cant downb (how is it called?) fast enough..

Give me advice pls. Also what are some basic combos against mario?

Thanks in advance

He also plays the game since his childhood and i started with him playing "competitively" (= learning z-cancel and so on) so he has a huge advantage of experience against me.

€: maybe fox just isnt my character, maybe he needs to much tech for my current skill lvl.

1nf3ct3d

Smash Rookie
Fox is only the most hardest to play for me vs mario. I struggle with all characters actually. Maybe I need a generel advice on how to play vs him. I think im actually best with samus, he says he cant combo samus ^^

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I really hate when someone asks for advice and someone just gives out "use someone else", that's not going to help you in fox vs mario lol.

What you need to do is make sure you're going to land a hit instead of approaching blindly into him and dying. So say he shields your attack and grabs you, not sure what you're doing here for an attack but you can do an aerial -> grab if he decides to shield it everytime.

Another thing you can do is laser -> something. SHL or SHDL, doesn't matter what you end up hitting with, just end up hitting him and ****** him wut.

Once you're getting daired or whatever, you NEED to SDI so he doesn't catch you with a grab followup.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think I saw a video of you a while back- you're pretty low-level, right? (no offense intended). Do what boom said, and concentrate on getting those z-cancels and short-hops down. standard fox stuff like dair-usmash and jab-usmash works on mario. Don't be afraid to punch fireballs, shielding them can put you at a disadvantage.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Bro, you need to z-cancel your aerials when attacking his shield. If you do that, and mash R after, you WILL land a grab.

EVERY TIME

(assuming you don't land behind him or something, and even then, you have time to turn and grab)

Try this on for size: jump at him, attack, then mash R like crazy. That will cancel your attack and grab ASAP. Sure, it's a serious noob tactic, but if YOU are getting punished when HE shields, you are doing something wrong.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Not sure if that works. The R mashing might end up in him shielding and if he mashes too fast, only shields will come out with all the R presses.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
for fox vs shield, it can be good do aerial -> zcancel -> jab -> dtilt, then you're in standard shield pressure mode.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Not sure if that works. The R mashing might end up in him shielding and if he mashes too fast, only shields will come out with all the R presses.
i really don't know

i just have this one friend who plays kirby and ONLY does the "kick grab" where he leaps at me with an aerial and mashes R

he lands the grab every time, so i assumed there was some truth and consistency to that strategy

but i really dunno

TANK64

Smash Lord
The spam R strategy is definitely legit. It works wonders for the brothers. The only problem with Fox is that his grab isn't right on him, so if you miss the first grab you'll get the shield spaz that Sangoku was talking about if you keep pressing R. Of course you can react also, but that's a different story.

*and of course you need to practice the timing on canceling all of your aerials (either with Z or R) if you want to be a lot better.

also reflect his fireballs

and jabs, lots of jabs into upsmash is great.

Battlecow

Play to Win
When I first read the start of your post I thought you were implying that black people were incapable of timing the Z press and had to mash. I was pretty taken aback.

1nf3ct3d

Smash Rookie
When is the best moment to make jabs?
Sometimes if he rolls behind me or after teching i can jab but otherwise i dont know when to make them. After drill? (or should i directly make usmash after drill?)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Jab after drill is pretty good at mid to high percents were it pops them up a little bit. Its better than directly to usmash because it gives you more control and then you can usmash.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
When is the best moment to make jabs?
Sometimes if he rolls behind me or after teching i can jab but otherwise i dont know when to make them. After drill? (or should i directly make usmash after drill?)
Jab after drill is pretty good at mid to high percents were it pops them up a little bit. Its better than directly to usmash because it gives you more control and then you can usmash.
more specifically, if you mess up and miss an usmash there's a ton of lag, whereas if you miss a jab you can often recover from that.

also jab is good for interrupting grabs. useful against grab spammers.

Top Bottom