• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs Luigi MU

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I know that this MU is very, very difficult. As far as I can see, Fox has a few tools that can be used. I believe that a well spaced Nair to Jab-jab is very good. If Luigi attempts to shield grab the nair, he will be hit by the jabs. After a jab-jab by fox, Luigi will always be going for either a nair or jabs of his own. Fox needs to Shield IMMEDIATELY after he jabs, setting up a situation where fox can grab luigi. Another tool that fox has is well spaced Bairs. They provide good shield push back, especially on Luigi, as he is very slippery. While this sounds encouraging, there are a few things I find nearly impossible to deal with, such as recovering lower against him. The Luigi Cyclone leads to certain death for Fox, and I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it. Also, what is the optimal way to DI out of Luigi's Down throw? All help is appreciated. I know how much Fox mains hate luigi... such a braindead and easy character to use. Maybe im a little salty haha.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
As a luigi main who,also enjoys playing fox hopefully I can provide some input. Also regarding di again luigi, at low percents you want to di down and towards luigi. Fox is a fast faller tho so just try not to get grabbed. A smart luigi will just read your di and regrab And the pain will ensue. As for fox winning the match up his best tools in Neutral are Nair spacing and his tilts. Use luigi traction problems to your advantage. Believe it or not but smash attacks are quite safe on shield unless the weegee perfect shields them. A smart luigi will try to space well and use fireballs to win neutral. Be very wary of using reflector in fact I recommend you just dont. Too much lag after usually ends in a free grab. A better option is to use fox's jump and fast falling speed to just run away and reduce pressure. Most wee gees are very rush down oriented. Use this against them.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Remember you can jump, spotdodge, or roll out of reflector right after reflecting a projectile. You can reflect the fireball then avoid the grab by spotdodging, or better yet just get away with a jump or roll.

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help so far. I got a quick question if anyone knows. At what percents does Fox's jab-jab downsmash work on Luigi? I'm pretty sure jab-jab upsmash will never work on luigi so i was just checking up on downsmash.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
It doesn't. He pops up too high. You can get a few jab1->jab2 repeats around the mid-80s though, which allows you to mix up when you shield the nair out.

Commander Keen

Smash Rookie
Not good to spot dodge all the time because a good luigi will predict your habits and grab you anyways. When you see Luigi is coming to grab you, intercept it with a dash attack or Up tilt at high percentages.

Don't get grabbed, and don't use Dash attacks or up tilts at very low percentages because luigi's neutral air is ridiculous, it comes very fast and has some nasty priority, also don't let him get you on the ledge, keep control of the center of the stage.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Obviously it's bad to spotdodge all the time. I was just pointing out that Reflector can be useful vs. fireballs in this MU, since you can spotdodge the grab, or roll or jump away. You have to mix it up, of course, but it is an option.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Be very wary of using reflector in fact I recommend you just dont. Too much lag after usually ends in a free grab.

You should never ever ever get grabbed after using reflector because...

Remember you can jump, spotdodge, or roll out of reflector right after reflecting a projectile. You can reflect the fireball then avoid the grab by spotdodging, or better yet just get away with a jump or roll.
I havent played enough luigi to say this for certain, but usually using fox's movement to go around the projectile and then punish its end lag is the preferred option over reflecting the projectile for a vast majority of match ups and situations.
After reflecting a fireball I imagine your best options would be to roll back if you can to get some space to use your lasers, or just cancel the shine into a jump, and from there you have plenty of options.

A_male_platypus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Platypusaurus
It's risky as hell, but sometimes you can gimp a Luigi recovering low with a falling nair for an early kill. You have to be sure not to get stage spiked or gimped yourself though

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Hit and run is the way to play against Luigi. Something I'm very guilty off is trying to extend a combo / string to tack on damage, when I really should just reset to neutral. Luigi is one of the best characters at breaking out of strings.

Woker!

Smash Cadet
Im a Luigi/Fox main, and I have just one thing to say, luigi has a lot of problems aproaching, the same goes with fox, BUT fox has a reflector and Foxs projectiles go a lot further than luigis fireballs, just keep in mind, youre fast, fox is very fast, and luigi has a lot of problems with fast characters, so you will have to play a hit and run playstyle, just avoid grab.. luigi can combo fox very easy, another thing, dont ever EVER go below stage when recovering againts a Luigi, he will just do cyclone and gimp you to death.

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
My biggest issue is what to do at the very start of the game (early percentages like 0-20). My approach options don't have enough knockback and I can't shield in time for Luigi's godsend of a nair to come out.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
My biggest issue is what to do at the very start of the game (early percentages like 0-20). My approach options don't have enough knockback and I can't shield in time for Luigi's godsend of a nair to come out.
Throws, dair, lasers, and now since the jab2-rapid kick combo is inescapable use those as well.

Woker!

Smash Cadet
Yup, lazers, grabs, spacing bairs and JABS are the best options, just remember, 2 grabs = 15%, I think when luigi has 13% or more, dash attack to utilt are combo, so yeah, we are fast, we just need 2 grabs

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
I get to play this match up a lot and am very confident in it. I've beaten Mr. Concon in tournament with Fox and recently made Fox my co main. I feel like this match up is slightly in Luigi's favor but Fox has to play better. You have the tools to stay on him so its hard for him to get the space to be comfortable and get good set ups to combo you/get you off stage to gimp you with down b. Fox is good at mixing up when to grab him and forcing him to land or get him offstage, or approaching with dash attack as the mix up then wait ->pushing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQ7JDjk6MA

Heres a friendly game I have vs him. Unfortunately our tournament set last Saturday didn't get recorded :/

Also Larry vs Mr. ConCon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1meytneJ30

Theres some good matches to look at to learn the match up. Also any questions you have about the match up you can ask me since I've played with ConCon, Larry's Luigi, False, and 1UP Nitro. I think I have a very good understanding of the match up in the current meta.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
You really did take Fox as your co-main huh Xzax. Kasrani? Any relation to Vex Kasrani? :yeahboi:

Good sets, besides the friendly you played, the Larry v ConCon game(s) are already in the replay / video thread, along with a lot of others too. Which I would encourage everyone to use in case they are looking for information on how to play a certain match up.

What I want to know, is how exactly you'd play an anti grab strategy against Luigi efficiently, due to the volatile nature of his Dthrow setups, then how would you play around that?
Throw out more Nairs in neutral to clash with fireballs and try your best to keep him airborne?

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What I want to know, is how exactly you'd play an anti grab strategy against Luigi efficiently, due to the volatile nature of his Dthrow setups, then how would you play around that?
Throw out more Nairs in neutral to clash with fireballs and try your best to keep him airborne?
For fireballs, I think it depends on stage position.
If you're cornered, a full jump N-air can maybe get us out of there. If I have the better stage control, I prefer to just fox-trot away from Luigi outside the fireball range and reset to neutral. His fireball is really, really silly, has really good hitstun and very safe to spam, it just gives him a guaranteed grab setup even if you shield it (unless you perfect shield it).

Last edited:
Top Bottom