• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs link

byakugan28

Smash Apprentice
In a fox vs link matchup what are the advantages and disadvantages of fox in this matchup? Also what do i have to look out for? thanks :laugh:

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
Practice drill shine, and Shine - WD - U smash, that should be it...

OmegaXangel

Smash Journeyman
Only major disadvantage I see is Link's whirlwind of doom. The U+B is lethal for edgeguarding fox, so watch out for that, though it's a bit hard to avoid it at times. Other than that, Fox should have no problem in this matchup.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
any fox loathes the spin attack. Shield it. You've gotta sweetspot your recovery if they're using the spin attack to edgeguard you.

JC shines or waveshine will generally put link out of his misery.

blindhobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PSN: Ligray
Waveshine, up throw to uair, waveshine to upsmash, the basics.

And like everyone already said, watch out for up B.

OmegaXangel

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and like that dude said, sweetspot. Go from the bottom, so that the link doesn't do that ledge grabbing whirlwind. Just assuming he can pull that off consistently like my friend.

Tian

Smash Apprentice
Watch out for his Up B. It's really annoying and does alot of damage.

Use B-smash and B- up, if you need to. Otherwise just act like you normally do.

takieddine

Smash Master
To try and give you some unique advice...

Get creative with your recovery!, its fairly easy for link to kill you once the nair comes towards your firefox/illusion or the UpB connects.

DO NOT rely on shine combo's. sometimes you'll find yourself trying them too hard, making yourself predictable and also giving much more of a chance of SD

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
When playing against a Link, definately abuse his short slide distance away from the shine, which makes it easier to do things like reflectosmashes, etc. Shine combos in general. Link juggles Fox fairly easy, so having an unpredictable DI would be in your best interest. When Link is edgeguarding, getting ready to spin attack, come from under the whirlwind. You'll either sweet spot the edge or hit Link out of the spin attack. Either way you're in luck.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Also Link's sexkick has little and he has a good recovery so he can spam his Nair vs. your recpvery, so be careful.

And watch his projectiles, because if he wants ha can simply spam projectiles and penetrate while you're stunned.

spam lasers when his away, SHFFLing sex kicks might be a good approach, and WS to up-smash or U/throw/air are great vs. him.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I would also advise that you don't jump right into link's dair while attempting to combo him...that hurts like whoa.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Okay Like everone said watch out for the Up+B but you need to also watch out for a good link player who will change it up and sex kick you when you try to sweet spot. Oh my Gosh you would not believe the number of times I have been returning for a sweet spot and Link just hops down and kicks you in the Firey face...urg!

Also you need to watch for the Hookshot.... You cannot just randomly Upsmash link who would then put on his sheild and sheild grab you.... Only Link and Y.L. Have the ability to grab you if you are the perfect distance from them and up-smash. For example I played a Peach recently and though he was not the best he could shield grab but my Up-smash at the perfect distance kept me far away enough from her so she could not sheild grab me... she was knocked back a bit from my attack. While link and Young Link even though they are knocked back cand shoot their friggin' Hook-Shot and presto you are grabbed... Definitly try to come from behind on them.

Another thing about their Hookshot is their mad recovering abilites with it, you can spike them just make sure they are down for good or else if they are fast enough they can grab the level with their hookshot and the Up+B and make it back to the edge. They can also change up how they recover with their Hookshot as they can reel in fast or slow(hanging for a bit) or just Up+B which can turn the tables on an unsuspecting Fox.

Sorry for the long post, I have had a lot of experience with a Link and know the what to do's and what not to do's.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
when your going up against a link player, my advice would be,Have good DI,keep your distance from those nasty boomerangs and bombs lol,and use your reflector when neccessary.hope this helps

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I hate all the people who post like they can waveshine 100% of the time without any error.

First off, yes, if you can pull off the waveshine consistently then use it. Like someone before said, don't ABUSE it, because it makes you extremely predictable. And as that person also mentioned, it's easy to SD if you push your control stick too far to the right or left.

If the Link you're playing is offensive, my advice would be to abuse the lag of Link's moves. ALOT of his moves have a huge amount of lag, especially against someone as fast as Fox, and it makes it very easy to punish Link for being too offensive. Shieldgrab makes this match almost too easy. After that, simple u-airs, b-airs and u-smashes will do the trick.

OmegaXangel

Smash Journeyman
A good Link won't fall into a shieldgrab, almost ever, but his moves do have a lot of lag. Take advantage son!

I can waveshine Link 80% without fail. Man, it sucked before when an illusion came out in between... >_> *Runs*

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I play Link and Fox, so I think it should be right to consider this post :p

Fox's advantages:

Shine (of course)
Link is great for comboing
SPAM (lasers DESTROY Link)
Link isn't good at getting around the Full Jump Nair appoarch
Link's projectiles aren't that great vs Fox
Link is a slow character, so he can't react well against an aggressive nor a spammy Fox player :)

Fox's disadvantages:

Fox is very easy to juggle with Link
Link has a very good egdeguarding game against Fox
Link can outspace and outprioritize Fox's moves (sword)
Upsmashing and Spinattacking out of Link's shield can really take Fox off guard
Spin attacks and Nairs "can" lead to gimps
Link isn't "that easy" to edgeguard

Winner? Well, Fox is considered Link's 2nd worst match and one of his only counters. This matchup is strongly in Fox's favor.
A good Link won't fall into a shieldgrab, almost ever, but his moves do have a lot of lag. Take advantage son!
1. A good Link would rarely shieldgrab ever
2. Fox doesn't have moves with alot of lag...
I can waveshine Link 80% without fail. Man, it sucked before when an illusion came out in between... >_> *Runs*
? Well, that isn't very impressive :p But I too used to have the illusion come out back when I had 0 tech skill.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
in order to beat link in this matchup you need to use:Waveshine,Shine spike,Fairs,U tilt,and SHL or SHDL for some quick damage.You'll need watch out for the Up B spike for link and some of the weapon combos

Top Bottom