• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox HELP!!!! SOS!

fightclub7

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'd probably rank myself amongst the Jigglypuff players as a good beginner, almost a novice.

I've been keeping it down as 1st place amongst my 3 friends, one of whom was in LAST place as Ness for the past few weeks.

I guess he got tired of losing all the time so he watched a few YouTube vids and decided to change to Fox.

Problem is, his **** Up Smash (whats the short word for that?) is ****ING PWNING Me.

Its all he uses. Over and Over again. I can't get around it.

It has range and KOs me with little to no HP.

Please, please, puh-lease. Any suggestions or solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lmao, as a Jigglypuff player Fox and Falco players are my easist match-ups. Cause I usally face them most in tournaments. Many Fox and Falco players are stupid and don't know how to DI. So what do we do? We up throw rest them. It even works better in doubles. It also works on Captian Falcon and Falco. I mean even some better Fox and Falco players will get 4 stock by me cause they suck at DI'ing.

fightclub7

Smash Rookie
More specifics

I got your beat guys, thanks.

I'll be practicing those uthrows in training this next week and such against him.

The thing is, I tried my rest against him and it seemed MUCH more intricate to nail the rest as oppose to FALCO, whom one of my other friends use.

And don't get me wrong when it comes to my REST skills. I've gotten pretty consistent with it when I DO CHANCE and use it. You see, I still see it as kind of a luck based move sometimes. I don't rely on it at all.

I'm also a very adaptable player that tries to control the pace of the fight more so than bombarding the enemy with combos and such. Against FOX heads up its a different story because he unreasonably faster than I am. FOX is clumsy as hell, but still VERY fast.

The gimmick move of the Usmash against me really gets under my skin as Puff.

Any more feedback?

Thanks to those who have already replied.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
If you are playing against beginners then uthrow rest should be working almost all of the time. I don't see how it's a chance move. There isn't chance invovled....it's either you hit them or not...and whether they are good enough to DI or not. With uthrow to rest you should be able to nail it everytime they are at a low percent....again..unless they DI. I hope something was cleared up...if not keep asking :].

RPK

Smash Lord
If your near the edge, back throw, to light fair. If he is an idiot and just charges you, Crouch Cancel or wait for the Shield grab near the edge then from there Back throw to light fair and watch the Fox drop or Up throw rest. But that usually works at lower percents unless the fox doesnt know how to DI

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You could always use the Wall of Pain... your bairs have a lot of priority, pretty good speed and, with good DI, a good amount of range. Also, you can go in with a Pound. It'll have enough priority and speed to beat an usmash attempt and it'll pop him up for a quick Rest.

Also, you could try a shield wavedash, then grab him.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
you DONT want to pound at an upsmashing fox. if youre even slightly out of range, you end up floating in midair right infront of them. its like asking to be hit.

but yeah, if you just want to avoid being hit, weave in and out of his range with a WoP.

fightclub7

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for the advice which is being taken considerably.

Suddenly I'm even having a harder time with the lvl 9 CP Fox. But I'm working on it.

Unless someone else can object to this, it seems there is no sure way AROUND Fox's Usmash is there? I mean, I can Dair him and that seems to do the trick but I get crazy lag afterwards leaving him time to just hit or grab me.

:confused:

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Shield wavedash seems like a pretty good option. Or you could roll through him if he's being that predictable.

I dunno though, Pound has pretty good reach, especially if you do it in the air. You should be able to hit him with it fairly consistently.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
For one thing, do not practice against lvl 9's. lvl's 1-5 are better. Lvl 9's have frame perfect timing and grab timing. It's pointless since the best way to beat them is to simply just smash them over and over. And there is no way that a human will play like they do. As for the Upsmash, you can just continually full jump DI towards them bair DI away to avoid counter attack DI forward (in the same jump) bair l-cancel. As long as you stay spaced he shouldn't be able to upsmash you from your bair or fair that often.

Sliq

Smash Master
Use more mindgames. He shouldn't be getting away with just spamming up smash. Shield the up smash, WD out of shield, grab, up throw, rest, GGKTHNXBAI.

IF you are in the air, don't always just bair towards him. Empty hop, DD, use platforms. Fox's up smash is relatively laggy, so it should be easily punishable.

GosuHonor

Smash Cadet
Puff has some very strong combat options besides rest.
Against a fox, try for variety shuffled neutral airs into fsmash or fdash into upsmash into bair.
Also, whenever you land wavedash around a little and get back into the air - it makes you a little more random and a little less predictable. Also use wavedash to dodge his smashes out of your shuffled neutral airs and try the mentioned above.
You're bound to get hit by some usmash, but at some point he's going to find something else besides those, so you might as well start to get prepared for it.
It's critical to WoP him well, and finish him off as much as possible, or you'll have a lot of trouble.
But a uthrow to rest is always nice now and again. They'll come easier when you do them casually.

holywhack

Smash Apprentice
dude- if the Up smashes are pwning u, then u are WAY to close... Space ur bairs so that the tip of the foot hits him. As long as u keep ur distance, u should pwn him. And U throw rest would be best to try at your level.

numberonenacho

Smash Lord
asking a novice to add more mindgames may be a bit much.
up throw rest as mentioned earlier, because most beginner players wont know how to DI
and down throw rest, or down throw fsmash. like upthrow rest most novices wont know how to DI.

keep your distance bascially. whne your about 50% you can assume hes gonna try to usmash or something. so be cautious. wait for the grab.. patience is always good in this match up. rushing in on a fox wont be good for ya. ^^

holywhack

Smash Apprentice
just throw him off and take advantage of firefox lag... or watch for un-sweetspotted Phantasms and rest. Its pretty easy.

The_Eradicator

Smash Rookie
Up throw rest is always good. You can also pound to rest but only if he doesn't go very far also I would advise doing it in the air, you can also CC his dash attack and rest just watch him to see how often he does it then gauge when to CC rest him

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
if he doesn't DI you can even do dthrow to rest
but if its not getting hit by the upsmashes you're worried about, just pound. pound's range is so great, and can let you WoP him. Also, I've found that against less experienced players, spamming pound is quite effective =P

The_Eradicator

Smash Rookie
Dthrow to rest is better on Fox when he's accumulated damage otherwise Uthrow to rest is more effective

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Just empty SH to him, when he goes for the Up Smash just back away. Then, during the lag...Hit him with something.

fightclub7

Smash Rookie
Appreciation and much thanks:

Thank you all for helping me with my problem.

Since my original post I've become an outstanding, reliable jiggly. (I'm probably a good novice now).

All of you're guy's input helped me tremendously with not just my game against fox, but in general.

Top Bottom