• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox: Able to switch between gun and melee?

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
After looking at the most recent Brawl trailer, I noticed that Fox has his gun out at all times now. That sounds like a cool feature, as I'd like Fox tohave more freedom with his blaster this time around, but how will his 'A' moves work with the gun out at all times? Then I noticed he has a hulster on his right leg. Could it be he's able to switch between blaster moves and melee moves? Look:

See what I mean? Perhaps you're able to switch between the two like I said before, either that or his 'A' button moves have been changed to fit his new stance. We'll see in future.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Weren't most of Fox's A attacks kicks? I don't carrying a gun around really changes his ability to kick things.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Oh yes pistol-whipping could be so nice. Nothing beats a 45 grip (well in this case blaster) to the face. Although if it slows down his left and rights, which I doubt, it could be a problem.

I doubt you will be forced to holster his blaster manually if you want to use his fists. Fox's moveset is/was taylored to his feet. I could only see the point of manually drawing the blaster would be if it were very powerful. Which I also doubt.

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
Game and watch switches weapons all the time for moves (turtle power, key power, frying pan power etc.) I wouldn't be surprise if fox grabbed someone and pistol whipped them to death.

Percon

Smash Lord
Eh, I doubt it. As stated before, fox uses mostly kick/tail moves (the exception being his first two neutral A hits.)

But I hope that we have a bit more freedom with the gun this time 'round. Pistol-whipping would b nice, but wouldn't be used too much. Maybe some fancier shooting?

Emersai_the_Prophet

Smash Apprentice
mabey he always has his blaster out now because there are combo, kick-blaster moves that can be performed at the same time. I think it would be awesome to see fox finish off a swift kick in the gut with a blaster shot to the face at the same time.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Speed characters in general have been given to many features to balance out their dismal weight and low attack percentages. I am going to use Fox as the representative of speed characters and why they need to be toned down. On the flip side, heavy characters also need a slight buff.

When I say speed characters need to be toned down, I mean that their specialties should be narrowed. For example, Fox is faster then heavy characters. That is all right. He has a projectile for long distant hits and a dash and shoot play style. Sounds good, he is speedy after all. But he could also kill characters at lower percentages then heavy hitters. What?! And he is much more difficult at Koing vertical then the big guys. Now he is gaining too many advantages.

The Brawl fox should be more focused. He should keep his good recovery options and hard upward attacks. But I don’t think he should fall as fast as he does. And of course his reflector needs to be toned down. A balance between the original Fox and the Melee version.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Like it has already been stated, the majority of his attacks are by his feet so it would be completely o.k. for him to hold the blaster the whole time. I was skeptical about it when I first seen the trailer, but now I think it's going to be awesome. I think a pistol-whip shine combo would be kickass. And no way his shine needs to be "toned" down. I could care less about the fast-falling however. And sure as hell don't give him ****ty recovery like Falco. I'm not saying I want Fox to be top-tier in Brawl like he is in Melee (well maybe I am), but I hope to God he doesn't end up low or bottom tier. I'd still use him, but...not so sure about keeping him as my main if that's the case.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Speed characters in general have been given to many features to balance out their dismal weight and low attack percentages. I am going to use Fox as the representative of speed characters and why they need to be toned down. On the flip side, heavy characters also need a slight buff.

When I say speed characters need to be toned down, I mean that their specialties should be narrowed. For example, Fox is faster then heavy characters. That is all right. He has a projectile for long distant hits and a dash and shoot play style. Sounds good, he is speedy after all. But he could also kill characters at lower percentages then heavy hitters. What?! And he is much more difficult at Koing vertical then the big guys. Now he is gaining too many advantages.

The Brawl fox should be more focused. He should keep his good recovery options and hard upward attacks. But I don’t think he should fall as fast as he does. And of course his reflector needs to be toned down. A balance between the original Fox and the Melee version.
That's deep man, really deep but fox's reflecter should not be toned down as it is the base for many strategies

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Fox's strength is my favorite thing about him, yes the shine is good but I'd rather beat people the old fashioned way than try to shine them to death.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Ahh...The ability for Fox to use his blaster and his kicking skills would attract alot more smashers to use him...Which is good, in my case! :laugh:

AverageScalp

Smash Cadet
I think that most, if not all of the characters in brawl will have two different fighting stances/movesets. For example, at times Pit has his blades held as seperate weapons, and at other times they are connected. In another trailer, you see zero-suit Samus changing the shape of her blaster back and forth (perhaps from saber to gun mode). Anyhow, I find it likely that fox would have a proctectile-based stance and a melee stance.

Coin you up

Smash Apprentice
Pistol Whip'in! That would be cool if you can hold down B for a charge blast =P. I say to change your fighting stance with Pit or Zamus you press B down. Seems reasonable and fair don't you think guys?*Zamus Zero Suit Samus heh heh*

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I prefer fox's lazers. I know they don't stun but they rack up damage, all you need is a good up smash at around 100% to die, those lazers really help out, Falco's are just too slow.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
I like the thought of pistol-whiping. But maybe he will be able to run and shoot at the same time hmm just a thought.
Actually, you could be on to something. One problem with Fox's lasers is that you have to SHL it to avoid the lag, which can be an inconvenience. If he could run while shooting laser, he could approach dealing small percent, attack, then retreat/follow up with extra percent like Fox players already do, only better. It would remove the complete vulnerability of standing and shooting.

Or maybe always holding a gun could be a sign of his blaster being ADDED onto attacks, much like his throws :) Then again, that might be bad since it'd be more skillful to force the player to follow up/lead into their attacks w/ lasers.

Top Bottom