• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Found some interesting Ridley tech

Dense

Smash Rookie
I have no idea if this has been posted or not, but I found interesting tech.

Neutral Special Knockback Cancel
While holding down Plasma Breath, if Ridley is hit he will take 20%, with a unique animation. Normally this would be a negative, but here's the catch, all knockback is cut when this is done. This proves to be very usefull against smash attacks, if you're afraid of a shield break or if your shield has already been drained too much, you can charge Plasma Breath and get rid of the knockback, possibly saving you a stock. So far I have only tried this on Smash attacks, but I'm pretty sure it works against aerials too, the only attacks I doubt this thing can block Falcon/Warlock punch, Bowser Fortress or Fox/Falco Up Specials. Inform me if you can confirm what attacks are blocked or not.

saltypepper

Smash Rookie
Problem is there's a lot of lag after the specific animation leaving a lot of room for another attack, and since you gain 20% it can easily lead to a kill percent.

It's really a very situational move, I did have it save me from a strong Falcon knee, although that was really only a one time thing

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I do have to agree that it's a very situational move, since there are usually better defensive options that don't leave you as vulnerable afterwards.
It's more beneficial as a quirky property to keep in mind while using Plasma Breath, such as while you're charging it and notice an oncoming attack, you can choose to hold on instead of releasing if you think it'd be better to tank the hit.

That being said, here are 3 funny quirks of Plasma Breath's knockback cancel that I found:
  • You are immune to burying. Inkling's Roller, DK's Headbutt, King K Rool's down-tilt. Anything. You'll still have to deal with the 20% and animation lag, but the brief moment of confusion this creates has potential to save your stock if you're at high percent.
  • You take zero knockback from Banjo's Wonderwing, and Banjo will pass right through you. While I don't know the exact frame data, this is especially useful since Wonderwing also leaves Banjo momentarily vulnerable afterwards, so you can punish it if you're quick enough. Once again, the slight confusion it causes could also work to your advantage.
  • (EDIT) In addition to burying, Ridley will resist any status effect, including: Stun (Mewtwo's down special, Pacman Bell, ect), Frozen (Pk Freeze, and technically Ice Climber's down special but it's a multi-hit) and even Sleep (Jigglypuff's sing and Hero's Snooze). The only exceptions to this are status effects like Joker's poison or flower.

As far as I'm aware, the Plasma Breath knockback cancel is triggered by any attack as long as long as it's in front of Ridley and is not a grab?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I do have to agree that it's a very situational move, since there are usually better defensive options that don't leave you as vulnerable afterwards.
It's more beneficial as a quirky property to keep in mind while using Plasma Breath, such as while you're charging it and notice an oncoming attack, you can choose to hold on instead of releasing if you think it'd be better to tank the hit.

That being said, here are 3 funny quirks of Plasma Breath's knockback cancel that I found:
  • You are immune to burying. Inkling's Roller, DK's Headbutt, King K Rool's down-tilt. Anything. You'll still have to deal with the 20% and animation lag, but the brief moment of confusion this creates has potential to save your stock if you're at high percent.
  • You take zero knockback from Banjo's Wonderwing, and Banjo will pass right through you. While I don't know the exact frame data, this is especially useful since Wonderwing also leaves Banjo momentarily vulnerable afterwards, so you can punish it if you're quick enough. Once again, the slight confusion it causes could also work to your advantage.
  • (EDIT) In addition to burying, Ridley will resist any status effect, including: Stun (Mewtwo's down special, Pacman Bell, ect), Frozen (Pk Freeze, and technically Ice Climber's down special but it's a multi-hit) and even Sleep (Jigglypuff's sing and Hero's Snooze). The only exceptions to this are status effects like Joker's poison or flower.

As far as I'm aware, the Plasma Breath knockback cancel is triggered by any attack as long as long as it's in front of Ridley and is not a grab?
You can also use the plasma breath knockback cancel effect while off stage to cancel edgeguarding knockback, though takes a bit a practice to pull off far as the timing and can’t go in too deep before having to recover back to stage, but it’s something.

Top Bottom