• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forget Nerfs! What buffs would be most beneficial to your main(s)?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
all of Zelda's aerials are strong as hell though
They were in brawl too but had significantly less lag on them. Not to mention she was terrible in brawl even with the reduced lag on her aerials. Basically, take the good stuff she had in brawl and the good stuff she has in sm4sh with the addition of a store-able phantom and she can be a mid tier character.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
:4falco:- Make changes to Dair so it has some use, having his old one would work or just make it have less end lag on landing. As expected some form of laser harassment, I mean it was our way to get people to us now we have to approach.

:4jigglypuff: - Add fire effect to rest and have back throw send people more horizontally and with more power.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
:4falco:- Make changes to Dair so it has some use, having his old one would work or just make it have less end lag on landing. As expected some form of laser harassment, I mean it was our way to get people to us now we have to approach.

:4jigglypuff: - Add fire effect to rest and have back throw send people more horizontally and with more power.
If equipment ever becomes tournament viable - smooth landing is probably gonna be used.
I think his d-throw has dair followups at mid-late percents, but unless you wall jump it's not very effective for edgeguarding.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
If equipment ever becomes tournament viable - smooth landing is probably gonna be used.
I think his d-throw has dair followups at mid-late percents, but unless you wall jump it's not very effective for edgeguarding.
At mid percents I'd rather go for Up-Throw for a Bair or Uair follow up, I just want to use it for on stage pressure like in past games.:ohwell:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Kirby needs more airspeed and throw combos to be a high tier character. For now he is simply viable.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
At mid percents I'd rather go for Up-Throw for a Bair or Uair follow up, I just want to use it for on stage pressure like in past games.:ohwell:
That's no longer a possibility, but his new fair his great!
And, i've said this in like 19 threads so far, so stay with me admins, you can restore his high falling speed with 'anchor jump' equipment.
you can chain dairs at much higher percents if you use SL. It looks magical.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
:4jigglypuff:Give her Diddy's UAir and FAir. Seriously, why does Diddy have better aerials than Jiggs?
:4falcon:Falcon Punch now comes out on Frame 4. :p
But seriously, make Knee's sweetspot stay out a bit longer or make it a bit bigger. This thing is not even close to Melee Knee.
:4robinf:Make Arcthunder and Arcfire last longer on hit, making for more combo potential for Robin (Arcfire Arcthunder Arcfire to UAir gg)
:4bowser:Fix that stupid Side B crud. Seriously.
:4drmario:Make Up-B's sweetspot bigger and make it kill before...y'know, like 150%.
:4ludwig: Reduced landing lag on all aerials.
:4kirby:Make every attack with feet disjointed. Sounds crazy, but Kirby needs it.\\

:4diddy:(Not my main) UAir now comes out on Frame 1 and deals 50% damage with triple knockback growth. :seuss:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Give :4littlemac: 7 midair jumps like Jiggs. :demon:

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
:4shulk: - Really his only issue imo is that anyone fast and get past his range (i.e almost anyone thats considered "good") can just wait for Shulk to whiff a move and punish it unless Shulk is playing super safe. Once that happens Shulk becomes combo food (depending on the character) since his fastest aerial attacks not actually starting up fast and with the hitbox starting behind him. If I had to buff Shulk without making his good match ups drastically better, I'd have his stabbing attacks (F/Usmash, D/Uair) have a bit more of a lingering hit box. Not at all strong by any means but mostly just as a way to force the speedy characters to have to think a little more when trying to punish.

:4pit: :4darkpit:- Have Upperdash/Electroshock arm have more reliable super armor or more KO power. They don't KO till kinda late (Unless you're Dark Pit and also offstage) and they're kinda hard to land. Even with the armor it seems somewhat unreliable as I've been knocked out of the attack and knocked other Pit's out of the attack mid dash or right before the punch hits. Also if it's gonna reflect projectiles, at least reflect them back at that attacker instead of over their heads. The way it they reflect projectiless now I'd rather they just eat the attack and power through it. I would personally like it if D-air could not spike grounded opponents, and if he had comboes or frametraps when landing during mid-fair or nair similar to Ness and Pikachu's fair. Also change their recovery so so it's has one of the following:
  • Has a good ledge-snap range, and the ledge-snap range is same when both facing towards and away from the ledge. This way at least even though he almost always has to go to the ledge, they don't get killed as hard.
  • He doesn't slow down as much at the end and/or keeps his momentum similar to Lucario or Greninja. This way he could at least opt to bypass the ledge and land on the ground safely, and since he can't change his direction mid flight or direct himself downwards, he can't use it for any crazy offensive burst movement (except maybe some platform shenanigans)
:4samus: - Melee-esque Nair or maybe a lower short hop so the new nair and bair can work better as a short hop option. U-smash that properly links 99% of the time (seriously how does it still not do this). Dsmash having better knockback growth. A u-tilt that is either:
  • A spike all the time
  • Does not spike at all
  • Remove the ability to tech grounded spikes
:4bowser:- Change it so that if bowser suicides with Side-B he dies last. If they're that worried about it being abused they can make it easier for the opponent to manipulate the direction since it already KO's very well on stage.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
:4sonic:
  • fix sonic's spin dash/spin charge where if it's used in the air and you still have your double jumped and hit the ground either when your jumping during the spin attack or when you next use the move without jumping your unable to jump at all unless you roll off the stage... Many sonic mains including myself agree that it's very annoying to have to deal with constantly SD'ing due to something that might have been overlooked.
  • I'd also say either buff utilt so that it can KO at earlier % or lower it's overall knockback so that it can combo into other moves.
  • Reduce the cooldown on Fthrow.

:4megaman:
  • Reduce the aerial recovery time on Fair so that it can be auto canceled from a short hop
  • allow Megaman to act sooner after he up-b's so that he can react almost as fast as sonic when he uses him Up-b
  • give dtilt less cooldown
  • allow Bthrow to KO more reliably
:4pacman:
  • Fix his grab hitbox so that it can grab if your right in front of him

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
making ness's dair a taunt would even be an improvement.

I wish toon link had the same nair as link

Totally agree shieks side b shouldnt immobilize her off stage. Annoying if mis input but id rather the option to throw one onto stage while trying to recover.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
:4myfriends:
-Give him PM's side B. Is already really punishable on block so lets us have the option to cancel it.

-This isnt an exclusive buff for Ike. Make all counters much more powerful ( x3.0 should be enough), using counters is risky so let us be rewarded for taking that risk.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
-Give him PM's side B. Is already really punishable on block so lets us have the option to cancel it.

-This isnt an exclusive buff for Ike. Make all counters much more powerful ( x3.0 should be enough), using counters is risky so let us be rewarded for taking that risk.
Are you crazy? Think of the CPUs

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
:4rob:Reduce delays in air attacks
:4duckhunt:Increase the hit box sizes of the gunners attacks
:4pacman:Make Side B turning on all custom types less sensitive
:4drmario: GIVE HIM BACK THE FALL DELAY IN HIS CAPE THEN THE MARIO SET WE ALL KNOW IN LOVE WILL BE BACK
:4greninja:Make it easier to see the shadow sneek shadow easier to see.
:4littlemac:For peak sake make his stage return moves easier to use
:4sonic: Welll uuuuh.........you know what hes perfect for my style of fighting
:4wario: Make it easier to jump off the bike im having trouble
:4lucina:Increase knockback
:4shulk:Make monondo arts much easier to use and same with :4rob: decrease the delay of attacks​

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg

I agree with side b buff, Ike needs it and it makes the character more dynamic, I don't think he should have wall jump capabilities when doing so tho. ;)

Counter has received a massive buff from previous game, as a Marth player, you counter at the far end of a stage, counter and you'd get a kill at about 110%, scaling up exponentially from that, I'm saying this as a competitive view point, but this move has way too move kill power and I think that would make all counter users similar to how iceclimbers were in Melee. (Don't get grabbed, or your instant dead!)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4ness: Make Dair the N64 version. Smash 4's is HORRIBLE and TOTALLY USELESS. Not even Rising Dair is that good.
:4metaknight: More range.
:4lucina: MORE knockback plz, also less laggy aerials.
:4ganondorf: Give him his Melee speed and more horizontal speed.
:4kirby: Improvement in all kinds of speed.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
:4marth: Revert him to Brawl's Marth and apply the changes to Lucina too.
:4ness: Make Dair reliable, less landing lag on PK Fire (auto-cancel would be awesome)
:4samus: More reliable spike on utilt, bombs explode on contact again, last hit of uair is strong as Shiek's, make Screw Attack kill as early as Zamus up-b, FIX HER GODDAMN MID AIR GRAPPLE
:4zelda: oh boy, where do we start?

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
:4kirby: Increased air speed, make his n-air come out faster and last a bit longer, and increase the knockback on his u-smash. Make his throws have more follow-ups.

:4pikachu: Pikachu doesn't really need many buffs, maybe make his f-smash and thunder kill a little earlier.

:4greninja:Keep the lag on his u-smash the same but make it give the same damage/kill at the same time as pre-patch. Buff the windbox on Hydro Pump a bit.

:4charizard:Make all his aerials come out faster, increase fall speed

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
:4pikachu: Give Pika's back throw kill potential. Not only would this make him super strong, but it would make his throw mix ups much more reliable, and getting up throw into thunder would be easier (People do not want to DI the back throw wrong after all.)

:4robinm: Tough to buff without making him brutally OP. I would probably give ether el thunder, or arch thunder a bit of durability. Against hardcore zoners Robin can struggle, since his only counter zoning tools are archfire (you have to be kinda close) and Thoron.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
:4ness: Make Dair the N64 version. Smash 4's is HORRIBLE and TOTALLY USELESS. Not even Rising Dair is that good.
:4metaknight: More range.
:4lucina: MORE knockback plz, also less laggy aerials.
:4ganondorf: Give him his Melee speed and more horizontal speed.
:4kirby: Improvement in all kinds of speed.
Give ganondorf pro glider and smooth lander, its actually 1:1

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
:4marth:Less Aerial Lag and slightly easier sweetspot like it was in Brawl also slightly increased range like he had in Melee/Brawl and side b like it was in melee to help him recover.

That my only one I can really describe in detail, but man what they did to marth was absolutely horrendous.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
:4luigi:Give some of his attacks stretchy limbs, similarly to Diddy Kong, to improve range issues on parts. Increase his air speed a little. Make n-air able to kill earlier (Maybe around the late 90% to earlier 100% range) similarly to how it could in Brawl. Make it so you don't need to jump to properly rise with Cyclone.
:4mario:Idk really. Normal Mario is pretty fine in this game.
:4drmario:Make him run a little faster (Maybe on par with Luigi) and make it so the side-b Sheet can stall at least once in the air like it could in Melee.
:4wario2:Make f-smash a little less laggy. Not sure what else he could use as he is pretty fine as well.
:4falco:Make d-air and f-smash have less start-up and make him recover faster after you're done shooting lasers.
:4pit:Slightly faster and stronger side-b. Stronger b-air.

Top Bottom