• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Diddy mainers out there

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
Recently, Diddy has been the character that i've been keeping a watch on. His playstyle just seems really interesting and fun (not to mention good competeive-wise).

I'll have to try him and the others out before I choose a main, but for the time being, he seems my number one choice.

So I have a question for those of you who are planning on possibly maining Diddy (or for those who do main Diddy b/c they already have the game).

I want to know who your main was in Melee. I want to know what character you guys are coming from transitioning from melee to Brawl.

My main in Melee was Falco. I love his playstyle of great combo ability, and extradorinary approach and offensive capability. I would like to main a character with similar attributes and so far, Diddy seems the closest from what I have seen (the other probably being pit). That is all I have to say, and I look forward to reading your guys' comments.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I played a semi-aggressive Peach. Diddy looks like he might be able to do a lot of the same strategic elements as Peach used to with his bananas.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
I was a Dr. Mario main simply because i didn't want to be one of the Marth/falco/fox/shiek Cookie cutters. plus i liked his "heavyness" compared to mario.

the reason i main diddy is because i have an attachment to the character. I remember a Poll on IGN boards long before smashdojo was even out. it was about which character you'd like to see in brawl and i voted for diddy and decided i would main him no matter what. even if he sucked.

Tore' Kong

Smash Rookie
On a mountain overlooking the Pacific Ocean and a
Here are my top 3 Smash Bros. + Melee mains:

Smash Bros. - DK, Mario, Samus

Smash Bros. Melee - Bowser, DK, Samus

As you can see, I like playing as heavy characters the most. I like being able to hit hard earlier while being able to survive for longer periods of time.

As for Brawl, I am finding it difficult on deciding who to main due to the nice variety in the roster, so I came up with the top 5 probable characters that will probably be my mains in Brawl:

Top 5 Brawl mains: Sonic, Bowser, DK, Diddy, Samus

My current Brawl main list is pretty much the same as my Melee list plus Sonic and Diddy. Honestly, there are so many characters I love in Brawl that I could just do the random button most of the time, but I probably wouldn't do that due to risk of getting my lesser liked characters such as the Mother characters, and the Ice Climbers.

Tibex

Smash Cadet
I "mained" Mario, Jiggly, Ness, and Pikachu in SSB64, and Young Link in SSBM (didn't have the opportunity to play SSBM competitively, so I didn't play it much). I'm planning on maining Diddy and Toon Link (and maybe Olimar) 'cause I like speedy characters with an arsenal of projectiles.

Phinny

Smash Rookie
SSB - Mario

SSBM - Ice Climbers, alt Mario, M2

I was really spread out. thing I am obsessed with though? THROWING.
and diddy's throws? GODLIKE. Thats not why im maining diddy though. it just so
happened to be a plus! I'm really just maining him because I was a donkey kong fan
back when I was little. I even picked up DC2 on virtual console and PWND the game. man. I can farm the first level in less than a min. +5 lives! =D.I was seriously moreso for sonic, but I HATE the new sonic. Sonic, Knuckes, and Tails only FTW! who the fudge is EGGMAN? its freaking DR. ROBOTNIK!

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
Gosh [HA - I said it], I seem to be alone in my transition characters; I've mained each of Marth, Falco and Link in my time, in that order. [Link is "low tier", but can be really good; I don't quite understand why he's so low in the tiers, actually.]

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Assuming I do end up maining Diddy, I'm transitioning from Captain Falcon. I pretty much play Falcon simply because he's one of my favorite characters in the roster. I love his attitude and demeanor within battle, and always have such a great time throwing out Falcon Punches left and right and yelling out "YES!" randomly. :p

I'm moving over to Diddy Kong since he's probably my favorite Nintendo character of all time, plain and simple. His playing style looks super wacky, and he honestly looks more fun to play as than pretty much everyone else on the roster.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
Assuming I do end up maining Diddy, I'm transitioning from Captain Falcon. I pretty much play Falcon simply because he's one of my favorite characters in the roster. I love his attitude and demeanor within battle, and always have such a great time throwing out Falcon Punches left and right and yelling out "YES!" randomly. :p

I'm moving over to Diddy Kong since he's probably my favorite Nintendo character of all time, plain and simple. His playing style looks super wacky, and he honestly looks more fun to play as than pretty much everyone else on the roster.
"Super wacky" is relative. It's not that odd; I've seen many of those attacks in martial arts imitating monkeys [just like some copy the mantis]. Now if only he had a staff... and a white beard... maybe sunglasses... a halo... razor sharp teeth... fiery breath... green wings made out of marsh mellows... a tiger waist-dress [wait, scratch that; that can be considered animal abuse and crap]... a golden crown... that would be something. :psycho:

Eh, well, I'm still going to main as him; I happen to be a fan of the martial art imitating monkeys; it's the t3ch. :lick:

Scorchio17

Smash Rookie
SSB64: Ness
Melee: Ness
Brawl: Diddy

How I "found" Diddy is kind of a funny story actually. I mained no one in Brawl at that point. Ness was just too hard to use without Djc, and my off-main, Captain Falcon, remained so, someone I use when I get bored of my Main. I had played as Diddy in SSE, and wrote him off as mediocre because he was so horrible in adventure mode. On GameFAQS I had a post going where I gave my impressions on characters and stages. One poster asked me to do an analysis of Diddy. I knew I found my main the second I used his dair, and wound up five-stocking my friend's Falco.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Sheik: not because I am a cookie cutter (*******!), but because she's so ninja, and I loved her character from OoT.

Diddy because I always played him in Diddy Kart Racing, I love the idea of bananas, and I see natural combo potential in him.

...also helped that his fair didn't suck.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
In Smash 64 I mained Pikachu and Ness, and was pretty decent with most of the characters really. I kept on playing Smash 64 for quite a long time even after Melee was released because I preferred the first one. Melee just seemed too fast, too jerky, too glitchy (once I started learning about the advanced melee techniques).

I eventually adapted to Melee, but I still have a love for the first game. This is why I'm so excited after seeing how much slower-paced Brawl is. It really seems to be bringing a lot of the gameplay back to the style of Smash 64, except without the brokenness (uber throws, super insta-spikes, exc).

Anyways, my mains from Melee are Dr. Mario, Jigglypuff and Pikachu (in that order). I'm pretty disappointed that Doc isn't in Brawl, but hey, he didn't really belong too well anyway (I'll really miss my lovely pill spams though :(). I'll most likely be using Jigglypuff and Pikachu both as semi-mains in Brawl, though I'm looking at Diddy to be my first main.

I'm really just maining him because I was a donkey kong fan
back when I was little. I even picked up DC2 on virtual console and PWND the game. man. I can farm the first level in less than a min. +5 lives! =D.I was seriously moreso for sonic, but I HATE the new sonic. Sonic, Knuckes, and Tails only FTW! who the fudge is EGGMAN? its freaking DR. ROBOTNIK!
Ahh, the good old days. I've always been a huge Donkey Kong Country fan, and Diddy was my favorite character from the series. I was excited when I heard he would be in Brawl, but it wasn't until I saw him fight that I knew I'd have to play him. The bananas, the combo ability, his recovery ability, his spikes... all of this together in one great fast character I've always loved.

So really, even with all the amazing characters I want to play (cause believe me, there are a LOT), Diddy will undoubtedly be my first main. I'm even determined to use him in the GameStop tournament, even though I've never had a chance to play the game yet. :)

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
i dont think it would matter much who your character was in melee because it is a different game with different mechanics but if it will make you smile, i played Mario, C. Falcon, and Roy

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I didn't have a main in Melee, I was good with half the characters. I just needed to be entertained while playing. And since Diddy looks like a very fun character, I might be maining him.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I was a Dr. Mario main simply because i didn't want to be one of the Marth/falco/fox/shiek Cookie cutters. plus i liked his "heavyness" compared to mario.

the reason i main diddy is because i have an attachment to the character. I remember a Poll on IGN boards long before smashdojo was even out. it was about which character you'd like to see in brawl and i voted for diddy and decided i would main him no matter what. even if he sucked.
wow...thats scary. Those two things are the exact same for me. I was a Dr. Mario main cause i didn't want to be like all the others in that 4 character group, i liked his heaviness compared to mario, and that his pills stopped the momentum of so many character's attacks. And Im maining diddy just cause he's so badass

elastickub

Smash Cadet
dude i mained mario and to be honest diddy almost remindes (i probably spelled that wrong) me of him with his backair and forward b recovery. dude and if your maining diddy (and you should) edgeguard without care go crazy his spike is insane the power can kill at like 60 damage if u edge hog and put mindgames with it so u can get a cheap f smash in every once and a while

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I mained falco and my secondary was falcon. I was pretty good at the game. Not very famous but still good nontheless. But I loved falco so much lol. But I main diddy and my secondary is ganon.

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
I mained Falco with my secondary being Mario. I like fast characters with good aerial game and projectiles. Diddy's working out perfectly.

Mario Ph.D

Smash Rookie
I mained Dr. Mario, Kirby, and Pika in Melee. But I love diddy so far, it is so rewarding to watch three people slipping around on the pair of bananas I set for them.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a lot of us mained Doc in Melee. Thats kinda cool.

Now that Brawl's out, I love Diddy. He's so much fun to play with... and all my friends have already formed a severe hatred towards bananas. :)

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Along with a few of you other guys I use to like the doctor. His style required more cleverness than technical ability, and using his pills and cape you were able to catch people off guard. I attempted to main him in melee but I just couldnt keep up with the faster people. Thats why I think I'm so drawn to diddy because he is so unconventional as well as quick.

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet

That pretty much sums up my story from Melee to Brawl. I was a doc fan too, and I've been looking forward to Diddy since I first heard. The nice thing I've found is Diddy seems to actually complement my play style from my Doc days. While they're certainly not the same character, and probably not similar, they seem to flow like one another. :"D

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
diddy isn't really relatable to falco.

falco had tons of kill moves, didn't depend on mindgames, and bad recovery, and the best projectile in the game

diddy has few kill moves, depends on mindgames, great recovery, and the worst projectile in the game lol

brawl's a different game...my melee characters don't translate well.

i think the closest character thus far to melee's version of falco is toon link. he's got lots of ways to kill you, good projectiles, speed, and combo pressure.

Count

Smash Champion
I also mained Dr. Mario in melee then switched to diddy in brawl. When I heard the list of characters I anticipated becoming a sonic main, but diddy appeals to me much more. I still consider sonic my #2 but I am not nearly as skilled with him.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I was a *weak* Pikachu in 64, a strong Peach/Doc in melee, and I was looking forward to continue maining peach for brawl. Alas, she's the biggest nerf ever.... Shes gonna be my third probably now just because of her La la la taunt... its so fun to taunt opponents with that after they die.

So I was left roaming aimlessly looking for a new character.... right now I'm most profficent with Marth, but I do not want him to be my main, or only main,, and I just cant keep diddy off of my mind. I never thought much of him even after the announcements. Id have to say i became attached to diddy after my first diddy hump kill against my biggest nemesis on the game... samus.

Still playing around with toon link and pit, a little olimar here and there, but I cant keep this **** monkey out of my head!

goth

Smash Rookie
I mained link/fox/c falcon in melee. I started brawl with metaknight. Had some friends over. Got whooped. Switched to diddy. Whooped them. Now Diddy = main. Love the nanas :)

S0X

Smash Cadet
I mained Capt Falcon but didn't like him much in Brawl. Even tho melee and bawl are teh same franchise imo there 2 completely different games, if I where you I would see Brawl as a completely new game and just play around with all the characters before choosing your main.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
SSB64 Main: Mario
Melee Main: Peach
Brawl Main: Diddy Kong

Yeah, each new smash game brings on a new main for me because the character I've mained from the previous game gets nerfed badly. I like Diddy's speed, power and high jumps. I've always been the offensive type in Smash and Diddy is a great offensive powerhouse. He may not have the best defense, however sometimes the best defense is a great offense. (Actually his defense isn't that bad. )

Top Bottom