• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Marth fans!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't think Marth's chances were low to begin with. It was just a stupid assumption that Ike was replacing him. I wish he'd be confirmed already. :ohwell:

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
I don't think Marth's chances were low to begin with. It was just a stupid assumption that Ike was replacing him. I wish he'd be confirmed already. :ohwell:
Also, I never said he wouldnt be in, its just Ike and Castle Siege raises somewhat of a point...
Lucas is like Ike. Both newer and pretty much better characters.. though that isnt very proving..

Was I just agreed with by Andrew14j? o_O

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
There's nothing saying that Ness has actually been replaced by Lucas. (yeah, I know... but that was for Melee!)

Besides Sakurai himself said that Castle Siege is supposed to represent the whole series, am I right?

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
There's nothing saying that Ness has actually been replaced by Lucas. (yeah, I know... but that was for Melee!)

Besides Sakurai himself said that Castle Siege is supposed to represent the whole series, am I right?
True.. Anyways.. what I said about Lucas, what I meant is he would be alot different from Ness, so the newer would be in. Ness can still be in though. Not anti-Ness like Luke.. :p

NukeA6

Smash Master
I hate repeating this.

POPULARITY.
DOESNT.
CONFIRM.
ANYTHING.

Also, saying Marth being the first king, automatic deserving to be in, is like saying this.

"Since Wario was the first real enemy of Mario, hes a shoe in! (He wasnt expected to be in, but then again, the WarioWare games explain for themselves...)"
Explain Sonic's appearance

Zevox

Smash Lord
People are saying his remake boosts his chances. When was that true?
Several reasons. First, because it increases his role in the franchise and updates him from being an old favorite to a returning, soon to be current favorite of the series. Second, because it gives him the very unique spot in the franchise of starring in three games, something no other Fire Emblem character can claim (and in a franchise where the major characters change almost every game, such a thing helps distinguish him from the rest of the characters). Third, because it means that his presence in Brawl will help bring him to public attention among Nintendo fans, which will help with the sales of his new game when people learn that he has another game coming out. Fourth, because it makes him an international star rather than a Japan-only one (it could be argued Melee did this, but now his Fire Emblem role will be international as well, which is a serious step up), which makes it easier for him to be selected for Brawl (since Sakurai stated he would minimize the number of Japan-only characters now that SSB is an international hit). And last, it confirms Nintendo is aware of his status as an icon of the series - else why would it be his game that was chosen for a remake?

axemangx said:
Also, Sonic was only in because he was the number 1# 3rd party wanted for Brawl. How do you explain why? Perhaps because they want Mario vs Sonic? Because Sonic needs a good game to be in? Because he'd be unique? He is popular for the SEGA games. He was one of the more POPULAR wanted ones in Brawl.
Precisely. He got in because he was popular, and therefor much requested. The motivation behind that popularity doesn't matter (and it changes from person to person anyway), only that it existed and caused fans to request his presence.

Seriously, you should only need to take a look at the characters who have made it into past SSB games and Brawl to realize that popularity does play a role. Why is Pikachu the primary Pokèmon character out of the hundreds they have to choose from? Because his anime role makes him the most popular of them. Why did Jigglypuff get into the past two games? Same reason as Pikachu - big anime role, lots of popularity because of it. Why are Link, Mario, DK, and the like the headliners for the game? They're Nintendo's most popular and iconic characters. Why did Mario, Zelda, and Pokèmon get more characters in Melee than any other franchise, and between them totaled more than half the roster? Because they're the three most popular franchises Nintendo has. Why was Sheik in? Shes unique to the most popular Zelda game, Ocarina of Time. It goes on and on, really.

Of course, popularity is only one factor in getting into SSB - thats plain, since if it was all that mattered, characters like the Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, or Roy would never have made it. But it is a factor, and in many cases a big one, that much is plain as day.

Zevox

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
post full of epic win

Full of epic win.... exactly the same reasons why i think Marth is riding his horse right into the Brawl.

In my opinion, characters in Smash are chosen for 3 reasons.

1-Iconic representation (Mario,Zelda,DK,G&W):

This is the first thing that is taken in consideration, as is understandable. If you are making a game about all stars... you will use the characters that represent you as a game designer or as a company. Your most legendary or important history wise works.

2-Popular demand:
This is when players like Sonic, Megaman and Dedede comes in.
If you are designing a game but you dont like or dont wanna include, lets say Sonic, because is from sega and you dont like the little blue thing anyways.... but from like the last 8 years you have made polls and he have won all of them...and every single person who talks about your game mentions the name sonic..... it just means something: YOU NEED TO INCLUDE SONIC!.
We need to remember that Smash in fan service. If the customers want this characters in, in an insane demand, there is little to think about. It just helps the franchise.

3-Marketability and business importance:

This is where , in my opinion, characters like Roy, Ike, Ashley and Micaiah come in.

I have added the last 2 because i think they will come in for a single reason: Marketing.

We need to remember the Roy case.. which was a weak attempt to promote a FE game. This happened when the roy game was not even out.
Now, 7 years alter,.... the FE series have gotten a lot of importance. The last FE game is fresh on the market.... and unlike ROY, now the FE characters are veyr famous and very demanded. If Roy amde it to Melee, when he was a MR unknown... Now Micaiah have like 10 more times the chances roy had by that time.
Ashley.... like i explained in other thread.... she is one, if not the most famous character of the Warioware series....I think is even more loved and demanded that the own wario. Nintendo wants to try to propel wario as a strnger franchise...and separate him from mario. The Wario ware game is having good succes internationally, and adding Ashley to the roster is a very good chance of promoting this new products. Not to mention that she even have a soing already in Brawl... and warioware have a stage in the game.

We need to remember that, even when the game is based around all stars of Nintendo, in the end this is a business.... and the company will aim to earn money before anything.

I would like to add chars like geno or Ray 01.... but because of the reasons stated above,.. most of the suggested chars in the forum will not make it.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
-Marth's general popularity and important franchise position
-FEDS makes him "new" again, and also gives Marth a bit of Royness
-Sakurai is keeping characters with unique movesets in, as evidenced by the Ice Climbers
-Icon theory groups the Fire Emblem icon with Melee's set

From this information, I can safely say that Marth is coming back.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Topic's like this are so utterly boring. Granted Marth importance to the overall series makes him a shoe in. I never use "popularity" as a sole reason as a character should be in.

I personally didn't really care for Marth in FE3, and for once I don't know if I'm actually going to pick up a Fire Emblem game (The FE3 remake). I don't let my dislike of a character get in the way of the painfully obvious.

-Knight

Okysho

Smash Ace
honestly, I don't care if you don't like Marth the character, the point is that he much too popular, much too demanded and now (with FE DS) is a market icon! It's impossible to not be included in this game!

Logic: Wins

Marth haters: lose

End of discussion, Mods please close this thread!

piffman2

Smash Apprentice
With his slowness, power, and fire based attacks Ike seems more like Roy than Marth

JPW

Smash Ace
and to think it was only a few years ago no one had any idea who Marth was outside of Japan. Now he's the most popular character of them all apparently. And we're still having this fight.

I reckon Marth is a shoe-in, and has been from day one.

1. He was a huge favourite in SSBM.
2. He was the first character to be in two FE games. New he's apparently the first character to have 3 games. Although his DS is said to be a remake so does this count as FE11 or is it just FE1/3 remake.
3. Apparently he was in the animated series.
4. He is the face of Fire Emblem, and even his symbol is there at the dojo.
5. Blue seems to be a very popular colour. And Ike's hair seems to be more darker than Marth's.

Also no offence to Ike fans but I really don't see Ike taking over Marth as the face of Fire Emblem. Soon enough there will be a new lord, a new world, and Ike will just be a legend like all the others.
Marth will stay a legend forever, because he came 1st. And Nintendo fans usually have a history of remembering the 1st rather than the last/latest.

Don't get me wrong I love Ike. I reckon he's an awesome lord. And I can't wait to try him out.

Conker1

Smash Ace
If Ike is replacing Marth, why was Marth in Melee in the first place? Why didn't they use the most recent lord at the time?

Zevox

Smash Lord
If Ike is replacing Marth, why was Marth in Melee in the first place? Why didn't they use the most recent lord at the time?
They did, actually - that was Roy, who was coming out in four months. Or would he not count in your opinion, and thus Leaf of FE5 would be the most recent at the time?

error_alt_delete said:
that is only if they stick to PoR.
I think we can safely say that won't happen. Fire Emblem is an expansive and varied series with many characters to choose from. To represent only one of its games would be to represent only a very small part of the series, and thus not the series as a whole. It would be like making Geno and Mallow the only Mario representatives (well, not quite, but its the closest analogy I could think of, since Fire Emblem is unique in its way of separating not only the characters but the very worlds it displays in each game).

Zevox

Okysho

Smash Ace
and to think it was only a few years ago no one had any idea who Marth was outside of Japan. Now he's the most popular character of them all apparently. And we're still having this fight.

I reckon Marth is a shoe-in, and has been from day one.

1. He was a huge favourite in SSBM.
2. He was the first character to be in two FE games. New he's apparently the first character to have 3 games. Although his DS is said to be a remake so does this count as FE11 or is it just FE1/3 remake.
3. Apparently he was in the animated series.
4. He is the face of Fire Emblem, and even his symbol is there at the dojo.
5. Blue seems to be a very popular colour. And Ike's hair seems to be more darker than Marth's.

Also no offence to Ike fans but I really don't see Ike taking over Marth as the face of Fire Emblem. Soon enough there will be a new lord, a new world, and Ike will just be a legend like all the others.
Marth will stay a legend forever, because he came 1st. And Nintendo fans usually have a history of remembering the 1st rather than the last/latest.

Don't get me wrong I love Ike. I reckon he's an awesome lord. And I can't wait to try him out.
Apparently? I actually HAVe a copy of the Fire Emblem OVA and Yes as you said before, Marth is the face of Fire Emblem!

RWB

Smash Ace
But it has also been told that Ike has a Marth-based alt color.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Which means nothing - did you forget that Mario has a Luigi-based alt costume?

Zevox

Smash Lord
But it has also been told that Ike has a Marth-based alt color.
In addition to what EPX2/MysticKenji said, I'm skeptical about this for another reason. We all know many people consider Ike to look a lot like Marth to begin with, and some even managed to think his white-clothes-blue-cape outfit from last week's video looked like Marth. One of those reports that said he had Marth's colors said he looked like Marth only from a distance, and most others said he merely had different clothes, nothing special. It sound possible to me that he merely has an alternate color pattern with a blue cape and darker clothing colors in general, which would cause some to think it was a Marth outfit.

Anyway, only time will tell. Perhaps we'll get a video/picture of the outfit to be able to confirm or deny it for certain.

Zevox

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to be a downer, since I'm a huge Marth fan, but the DS game could just be an excuse for nintendo to say "Since Marth is in another game, we don't need him in brawl" I'm despirately hoping that's not the case... MARTH FOR BRAWL ****IT!!!!
which is the same thing people said for Mario and Sonic at the olympics; as the replacement and apology for sonic not being in

low and behold, sonic is in.

Now that Marth has a good shot at being made an american character (since the new DS game is more than even likely to be translated and brought over) his shots are through the roof.

If he hadn't been in Melee I'd be a little more skeptical, but considering he's a vet, a very popular and well known vet, I'm all for believing he'll return, no doubts

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'm the ultimate fan of Marth!!

Ike has no business having a "Luigified" moveset similar to Marth's! It's just not fair! Marth was here first and he shouldn't be replaced because of some stupid techincaility. Don't get me wrong, I like Ike and all, but I favor Marth over him anyday.

Top Bottom