• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For All you say that Squirtle Sucks...

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Seriously, Squirtle is GREAT... just maybe you abuse Aerial Attacks way to much. Squirtle's probably best kill move is his Down throw right? Now when you grab, your opponent will react in 2 ways. 1. Opponent will Try to Get out of the Throw by moving around a lot. 2. Opponent doesn't do anything thinking that you will throw them right away. Now Squirtle can use BOTH of those to his advantage. If the Opponent tries to get out of the Throw, D throw's Knock back is Increased and It will kill Around 100%. If the Opponent DOESN'T MOVE. Then Keep Attacking them with the Grab, and after they are released from the Grab, Do a Jab attack. This will do a Considerable amount of damage to the person (about 19%) Squirtle probably cold have the best air game ever, if you just know WHEN to use it.. Seriously Squirtle is actually better to be on the ground, but SH when the opponent Doesn't See it coming, Dash attack, Tilts Jabs and Hydro Plane are there to help rack up the damage, the Aerial Attack is what Really does the most, you Got to use Mind Games with Squirtle TO THE MAX. From what i remember and seen, everyone's Squirtle plays the same, They are almost always in the air, NO SQUIRTLE SHOULDN'T always be in there Air. He is going to be Sheild Grabbed out of his F-air.
Nair is a great move, yet People don't tend to use it often. This move is actually meant for Mindgames, and yet more damage racking, This move can Auto cancel so you can eaisly do a Neutral A -> A A A combo, yet so many People are thinking about Fair..... Squirtle has a Sucidal Combo, F-air -> Fair -> Water Fall, You have to Hit them with the last hit when you are Very close to off the screen. The probably Only Weakness To squirtle is his Weight and Range, The Weight is nullified because of How hard it is to Hit Squirtle, and Shield. USE THE DARN SHIELD!!! i'm pretty serious Squirtle MUST use the Sheild unless you want a Quick Death. Power Shields can results in a Smash attack from Squirtle which will also help with killing. The Range is probably the only thing that is difficult for Squirtle, but at least he can Crawl From The Projectiles that Will Actually Hurt him.
Learn to do FOrward Hydroplane.... THIS IS HELPFUL OMG SUPER HELPFUL. This is the way to kill, Hydroplane is for Mindgames, Forward Hydroplane is the way to kill.
Actually Use Dair. This move is great... REALLY GREAT. damages well, and throws them off to the side.

Seriously, I dont know why everyone thinks Squirtle is Very bad >.> He has saved me So many times against Snake... and marth for that matter. you guys need to get Squirtle to Step Up to the Next Level. :urg:

Sorry for the Ranting... Just Angry how everyone thinks Squirtle is poopy

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Yeah squirtle is not THAT bad, he is cool as hell, and a very good character, looks like the understimation is going for him now(it already passed for charizard and ivysaur), but seriously, hes a very good fighter, the shellshifting is good for mindgames, and hidrograbing is very usefull
Maybe people use the Dthrow at any percent, so its power is lower when they want to kill, i tell you guys, save the Dthrow, the others are the ones to be used at low percents, those combo pretty well, and pummel like 4 times before the Dthorw, also,Uair and Dsmash are kill moves that most people dont use, and squirtle is the best pokemon to use the spotdodge-dsmash, because ivys is really weak, and charizards is pretty slow

Agi

Smash Lord
When I use PT, I try to stick to Squirtle as much as possible... I mean, come on! He's a TURTLE that can JUMP OFF WALLS! Okay, but seriously... I've just been a fan of Squirtle, and his B-Right as a fun move to use... esp when playing against Snake. Snake has no chance (unless he jusmps on you...)

aggrogahu

Smash Cadet
I just had a question: does anyone else use his withdraw as an approach? I think it's one of those tricks that works the first couple of times until your opponent figures out what's going on. I mean it goes through a lot of attacks and you don't take any damage from anything. Most people on first impression see Squirtle moving along slowly and think 'WTF is he doing? I'll just attack him", then Squirtle runs through the attack and lands a hit ... Definitely not a real tactic by any means but I thought I would throw this out there.

As far as my opinion on Squirtle as a whole, it's really hard for me to work around his range. Shellshifting we'll probably help with that once I get it down, but atm it's the thing that turns me off about him.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Withdraw is good as a surprise attack. Don't use it too much tho, because you're opponent can grab you out of it. And if you get jumped on you're going to eat a fully charged smash.

Fearmy, can you explain forward hydroplaning to me?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
is forward hydroplaning the whole duck/crawl backwards out of a shellshift thing? i was under the impression that it was a way to do a hydroplane without having to turn around and keeping the momentum of a shellshift.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, because we realized that Charizard is great and prejudice against Ivysaur were false, Squirtle looks as the worst of the three, and when you're the worst of a character team that is low tiered, you do look like you suck. So, Squirtle's the worst of the three and PT is a low tiered character, so Squirtle looks like he sucks. Just here to clear things up in three sentences.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
is forward hydroplaning the whole duck/crawl backwards out of a shellshift thing? i was under the impression that it was a way to do a hydroplane without having to turn around and keeping the momentum of a shellshift.
no it's actually Faster THan Hydroplane,

Squirtle is great, zzz stupid Capture Card CD's I lost them and now i can't make that Combo VId @_@ i even had the coolest Combo ever, Jab lock to End of Fd -> Dsmash. D3 uses Up B then goes into Free Fall State, and Water guned his face :laugh:

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
The only problem i have with squirtle is his recovery is kinda sucky. Espically is your on the wrong side and try to recover.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Squirtle sucks. You general argument can be applied to any character in the game. At least Pichu had two of the most powerful smashes in the game as well as combo and edgeguard ability.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
zzz EG Squirtle is Probably The Heavy killer... if you want We can play, then we'll see if Squirtle Sucks :p

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
It's not that he sucks, it's just that he's so unreliable. His poor range is a major issue, and it's not worth risking leaving him in during fatigue because if he does become fatigued, you will have a very difficult time getting the kill in. The throw thing isn't really going to do 19%. Can't you just DI with the control stick and wiggle with the C-stick or just mash the rest of the buttons? Either way, if you don't throw immedietly they're going to adapt to that, not just continue doing nothing.

Nair... I like the attack, but the range is some of Squirtle's worst. Jumping at your opponent mindlessly with Fair/Bair is terrible Squirtle play. IMO, Squirtle is safest while using Ftilt and jabs to get in grabs.

Squirtle does well as a scavenger: You let him clear out, as quickly as possible, whatever Charizard was unable to finish. The damage should be pretty heavy already, so you need to get him in then get him out. He's a big risk if you play him. He can overwhelm your opponent if they're not ready, but when you're opponent expects it you really won't be getting much out of it.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
yes the wiggle they do Provides more Knock back i said that Squirtle can Abuse both. And actually Forward Hydroplane is a great Kill move, you just need to Learn When and i'm dead serious @_@ i got to Upload Vids Soon

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
Actually squirtle can easily do the whole 19 damage from a grab even if they wiggle. Like stated before squirtle. Squirtle has the fastest jab in the game. so as soon as the grab is released u can instantly do a three hit jab combo

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say he sucks. He has the the ground speed and airborne mobility that Ivysaur and Charizard sometimes crave. The only thing is, his attacks have such short range and he has trouble going for the KO. (as I'm sure have already be mentioned)

I agree with Retro Gaming about Squirtle the Scavenger.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I agree with Retro, Squirtle is so unreliable that a common word to describe Squirtle is... sucky. Squirtle plays an aerial game (well duh, we all know that) and has some option with ground games (shellshifting, throwing, hydroplant, and a couple of others), but Squirtle falls on hurdles that the other two can overtake (strength, defensive properties, practicality during fatigue, ability to shift strategy with ease). He just fails on numerous things, he is unreliable. You have to remember, this was a character that, in game, was designed to get you started, not split the planet with awesome power (like what Charizard was meant to do)

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Fatigue for Squirtle is not that bad. Sure, Squirtle is probably becomes the weakest in the game while he is fatigued, but he can still rack up damage like usual, especially with up-tilt spam to up-air(s), and a simple down-throw to pokemon change at high percentages will still allow him to switch to Ivysaur safely.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Squirtles Dair is quite beasty. A good follow through after a jab, and a good timed one can knock an opponent away from the stage edge quite efficiently.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
do you have a video or thread or something because this is new news to me!

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
If Fearmy means what I think he means, then I may have done this technique before.

When you do this, Fearmy, does Squirtle face the other direction while charging the Usmash, and does he slide far?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
^ Alright.

It's a good thing I'm keeping up with these Hydro technique thingies. lol

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Hey come on guys, i have to play most of the time with the wiimote, so that means no shellshifting or hidroplaning for me,and i still think he is a very good character, yeah he has little range, but that does not matter too much if you are good with him, i mean, he is so hard to hit, and so fast..... and comboes like no other when fatigued... really... having trouble with people shieldgrabing your aerials? fake aerial aproaches, then when they try to grab airdodge, land behind and grab!! :D... and really... use that uair more.... its vey good comboing, and its also a good killer, which squirtle doesnt have too many, and i see people rarely use it or talk about it

infernovia

Smash Ace
Yeah the forward hydroplane looks like a beast. I am just waiting to see some of your demonstrations Fearmy.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I got 2nd place with PT only in a tourny yesterday. Forward hydroplane helped a lot for me, it got me some kills and/or enough knockback to switch to Ivy. I think that the pokedex entry match-ups should have forward hydroplaning in mind when it comes to Squirtle; I've never seen anyone bring it up before. I mean it's as fast as Snake's Mortar Sliding, which is one of the best approaches in the game!

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I got 2nd place with PT only in a tourny yesterday. Forward hydroplane helped a lot for me, it got me some kills and/or enough knockback to switch to Ivy. I think that the pokedex entry match-ups should have forward hydroplaning in mind when it comes to Squirtle; I've never seen anyone bring it up before. I mean it's as fast as Snake's Mortar Sliding, which is one of the best approaches in the game!
Good job, man! Make sure Ankoku gets the results. We need more PT rep. =D

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
haha ironically i just mastered the forward hydroplane or whatever, and i'd yet to see the vid.

this looks awesome, i think the only thing i want to learn now is the hydroplant. any tips?

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Squirtle does not suck, but he's mabye the worst of the three.
He has great speed, great aerial attacks with not alot of lag on them and he's short!
But he does really bad in range, KOing enemies and trying to kill people with disjointed hitbox is a *****!
Yes, he might be the worst of the three, but Squirtle can still rock if played right.

And besides, you gotta love Squirtle like this! I got more Squirtle pics.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
haha ironically i just mastered the forward hydroplane or whatever, and i'd yet to see the vid.

this looks awesome, i think the only thing i want to learn now is the hydroplant. any tips?

the Hydroplant? which Hydro move are you talking about? I lost count and forgot about names already :embarrass

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, anyways fatigue just kills Squirtle but just switch to Ivysaur and problem sloved, but I don't usually get kills with Ivy, I find him too slow -.-

Still Squirtle has a few good KO moves, Usmash, Dsmash and Fair. But his only great speical to me is his Waterfall. His Withdraw move is a funny way to attack, but it sucks >.> I get hit and I fly off the side of the stage down to my death...

Again, he's not bad, he's just the worse of the three. You can depend on him to rank up damage and be annoying xD

Top Bottom