• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Fluff] Alternate costumes for Link!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what this is...

It's supposed to be based off of Skyloft clothing Link, but for some reason Sakurai decided it would be a good idea to try to just re-texture Link to make it kinda, sorta, look like Skyloft Link.

It looks like an amatuer Brawl hack - the ones where someone tries to make Zero or Megaman. But they don't know how to do 3D modeling, so they just re-texture everything.

It's not even colored right...

It doesn't take any of the elements that made Skyloft Link, or Ordon Village Link appealing as an alternate custome. These are a nice contrast between his iconic tunic. He doesn't have a hat, no gauntlets or chainmail, he is wearing regular clothes, he isn't wielding the Master Sword or Hylian Shield.

This doesn't do any of that. I rather them just come up with a cool color combination instead of making an unsatisfying "alternate custome."

The thing that bothers me the most is I wanted every character in Smash 4 to get alternate customes. Like in Street Fighter or Tekkan, where they actually remake the models to put the characters in different outfits. I'm hoping that this approach isn't going to be done for other characters. That this is only another color scheme. And that Smash 4 actually has alternate customes for all.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ PizzaWenisaur PizzaWenisaur I moved your thread (as well as @ G Greda 's response) to this thread since the outfit is already being discussed here.

Post it in the Link forum next time. Thanks! ^~^

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know what this is...

It's supposed to be based off of Skyloft clothing Link, but for some reason Sakurai decided it would be a good idea to try to just re-texture Link to make it kinda, sorta, look like Skyloft Link.

It looks like an amatuer Brawl hack - the ones where someone tries to make Zero or Megaman. But they don't know how to do 3D modeling, so they just re-texture everything.

It's not even colored right...

It doesn't take any of the elements that made Skyloft Link, or Ordon Village Link appealing as an alternate custome. These are a nice contrast between his iconic tunic. He doesn't have a hat, no gauntlets or chainmail, he is wearing regular clothes, he isn't wielding the Master Sword or Hylian Shield.

This doesn't do any of that. I rather them just come up with a cool color combination instead of making an unsatisfying "alternate custome."

The thing that bothers me the most is I wanted every character in Smash 4 to get alternate customes. Like in Street Fighter or Tekkan, where they actually remake the models to put the characters in different outfits. I'm hoping that this approach isn't going to be done for other characters. That this is only another color scheme. And that Smash 4 actually has alternate customes for all.
I actually really like it, and Sakurai did say it was only based on that design. Also, I think he only chose to do a recolor for this particular outfit because it was doable. If we were to get more complex alts, like Doctor Mario, I don't see him doing a simple re-color. Take villager for example, each of his alts has a different model. You don't need to worry in that department, but I can understand why you wouldn't like what they did with Link here.

Last edited by a moderator:

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
I actually really like it, and Sakurai did say it was only based on that design. Also, I think he only chose to do a recolor for this particular outfit because it was doable. If we were to get more complex alts, like Doctor Mario, I don't see him doing a simple re-color. Take villager for example, each of his alts has a different model. You don't need to worry in that department, but I can understand why you wouldn't like what they did with Link here.
Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Miis all have actual remade models - but the thing is, it almost makes too much sense for them considering the games they come from. These character don't convince me that alternate customes are going to be across the board - especially considering that in the last game Sakurai only gave Wario a true alternate custome out of a 35 man roster.

I was kinda waiting for him to give one to a character that would convine me that alternates are for all - like Mario, or Link, etc. Someone who you don't necessarily expect an alternate with. But this kinda makes me think otherwise. Obviously it's not hard proof but it's still a bit head scratching. If I was a developer - and I had true alternates already planned, I don't think I would make these half-way costumes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Miis all have actual remade models - but the thing is, it almost makes too much sense for them considering the games they come from. These character don't convince me that alternate customes are going to be across the board - especially considering that in the last game Sakurai only gave Wario a true alternate custome out of a 35 man roster.

I was kinda waiting for him to give one to a character that would convince me that alternates are for all - like Mario, or Link, etc. Someone who you don't necessarily expect an alternate with. But this kinda makes me think otherwise. Obviously it's not hard proof but it's still a bit head scratching. If I was a developer - and I had true alternates already planned, I don't think I would make these half-way costumes.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. However, I'm going to have to disagree with you a little. Villagers expectations are true and Mii is required, but Wii Fit Trainer was definitely not a necessary change. Had she only changed colors, nobody would really care. Which is why I still see hope in other characters for more diverse costumes. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Geno Mallow

Smash Cadet
Dark Link would certainly be easy for Nintendo to do. But Feirce Deity would be a cool nod to the fans who have been asking for his inclusion.

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I get what you're saying. However, I'm going to have to disagree with you a little. Villagers expectations are true and Mii is required, but Wii Fit Trainer was definitely not a necessary change. Had she only changed colors, nobody would really care. Which is why I still see hope in other characters for more diverse costumes. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.
I guesse I included Wii Fit Trainer because it didn't surprise me that much - when I saw it I was like "Ok - that makes sense."
The game is all about customizing your workout routine and I'd imagine that a lot of people picked the male version.

But with Little Mac's actual alternate my faith has been restored.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Dark Link would certainly be easy for Nintendo to do. But Feirce Deity would be a cool nod to the fans who have been asking for his inclusion.
Fierce Diety Link's sword would be dreadfully out of proportion.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, while I can understand how they tweaked SS Link to become a palette Swap for Link, I do think that Fierce Diety isn't really adaptable, because of the armor and the sword. But on the same time, I do think it doesn't deserve a full costume...

That's the problem with Link. His only iconic costume is the green tunic. Others costumes are clearly less important and their design is really similar to the green tunic.
The only thing with true differencies is the Farmer Link from TP.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
As you all know, I hate Link, I don't play as Link at all, but give him a Fierce Deity Link costume, then I'll definitely play as him.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Fierce Diety Link's sword would be dreadfully out of proportion.
You do have a good point, but I'd be fair with them adding in Fierce Deity Link the same way they added in SS Link, despite how it sort of smacks of laziness. Even just a coloration would be fine with me. I HIGHLY, HIIIIIGHLY doubt that they'll ever put Fierce Deity Link in as a standalone character, as psyched as I'd be for that, but I don't think an alternate costume, even if the height-length of certain things were off, would be too much to ask for.

Or, ya know, bring back Y.Link instead of Toon Link and give him Majora's Mask callback gameplay.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
You do have a good point, but I'd be fair with them adding in Fierce Deity Link the same way they added in SS Link, despite how it sort of smacks of laziness. Even just a coloration would be fine with me. I HIGHLY, HIIIIIGHLY doubt that they'll ever put Fierce Deity Link in as a standalone character, as psyched as I'd be for that, but I don't think an alternate costume, even if the height-length of certain things were off, would be too much to ask for.

Or, ya know, bring back Y.Link instead of Toon Link and give him Majora's Mask callback gameplay.
Another thing keep in mind, we got Majora as a Assist Trophy, its only fair to have the counterpart, Fierce Deity as a costume for Link, like I said, not a big fan of using Link, but Fierce Deity costume would totally make me want to play as him.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I want hyrule warriors link, zelda, ganondorf and sheik, how awesome would that be!!!
Or maybe just his ocarina of time incarnation, it's by far the most popular game in the series and most popular incarnation

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Hyrule Warriors costume looks pretty cool but it's basically the same outfit just with a long ninja scarf... meaning it could be easy to pull off.

But if I could choose one costume to give Link I would completely base it of the Twilight Princess Magic Armor's design.

Make Link lose the crown, give him a red version of his normal hat, and there we go: An awesome Magic Armor concept for Link. I would use the hell out of it if I could dress Link in that... :love:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Or maybe the zora armor and magic armor.
Fierce Deity Link
Dark Link
Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. All of my Yes!

Been wondering for ages why the Pokémon get hats and differences in their models, while Link, who has loads of different costumes, gets only recolors. Boooo..

I would love to see those, especially since people have been asking for FD since Melee. Maybe that one could include a resized helix blade to keep the hitboxes the same, but have the awesomeness of his sword. MORE MM REPRESENTATION NECESSARY!! Ugh, can't get my hopes up for the Fierce Deity...but then again, Skull Kid is a confirmed assist...

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
My most wanted alt is the Ordon Village Link (TP) since he's just a regular country bumpkin in that one. I'd also love his trainee outfit from Hyrule Warriors, but that's such a long shot... what's with me and wanting to see Link's hat gone?

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
DARK LINK CONFIRMED, as a full alt costume (ie Wario style).
Or maybe he just loves the Zora Tunic? (contains spoilers for JP direct newcomer)

[Spoiler/]

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I love the Hyrule Warriors outfit, but unfortunately the game is probably too new.

NovaDS

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see a color swap or and entire different tunic based on this.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2fluu0/smashboardszipzos_feedback_on_the_latest_demo/
Apparently he has a Fierce Deity alt costume, scroll down it is on here.
YES!!! ALL OF MY WANT!!!

I've been hoping for this since Melee. I guess I'll be using a certain costume when I play.

...but with all the Majora's Mask hints lately (NoJ pic of link with the mask, Skull Kid AT, now Fierce Deity Link costume), are they trying to bring that back into relevance? Like if there's a 3DS remake coming...? I need more want for that, since I just used it all on the FD costume.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So we have one of the most underpowered Link (Skyloft Link) and one of the most powerful Link.

It's just epic.

So far we have:
-Green
-Red
-Blue
-Purple
-Dark Link
-Skyloft Link
-Oni Link

Which means there's one left! Maybe the yellow color from Brawl will come back?

NovaDS

Smash Rookie
So we have one of the most underpowered Link (Skyloft Link) and one of the most powerful Link.

It's just epic.

So far we have:
-Green
-Red
-Blue
-Purple
-Dark Link
-Skyloft Link
-Oni Link

Which means there's one left! Maybe the yellow color from Brawl will come back?
Still hoping for the classic Link costume as a color swap.
But meh, we have already classic Toon Link, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom