• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Fluff] Alternate costumes for Link!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonS4

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeonS5
3DS FC
3351-4072-5555
Thought I would make a thread to hear everyones ideas for alternate costumes for Link, hopefully Sakurai gives everyone alternate costumes instead of just the newcomers.

Here are my ideas -

Hyrule Warriors Link (Tunic Attire)

With Hyrule Warriors coming out in Japan in August this could be done as a costume for Link as it would come before Smash 4 Wii U and the development team for Smash has access to art for Hyrule Warriors Link. If they don't add it on the 3DS version they can add it as (free?) dlc later.

Hyrule Warriors Link (Knight Attire)
Also a really cool link costume from Hyrule Warriors. Also is a bigger change as link could not be wearing a hat, and doesn't have the green tunic.

Share your ideas guys!

Gugge

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of Hyrule warriors Link, But if he gets an alternate costume I think it's gonna be Ordon Link.
image.jpg

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yes and yes. Those options are good. They could also his appearance in Skyward Sword as well as his "civilian" outfit.

Gugge

Smash Rookie
Fierce deity link would look cool, it could look like this but even better.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The red and gold Magic Armor from Twilight Princess is pretty cool. I don't think it'll happen though. Maybe the Ordon costume could be done instead.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I say just bring the Dark Link palette swap from Brawl and turn it into an alt. costume by giving it some neat effects. These new effects would include red eye trails, a black and red sword trail, a deaper voice as a nod to OoT's Dark Link, and a darkness effect to some attacks, like the gale boomerang. A Hyrule Warriors alt. with team colors would be awesome too. I'm guessing a lot of additional content will be available as dlc, hopefully for free. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:
I know Link has some great armor and costume options, but I think it would be great if they went a different route and added old-school Link. Not 8-bit, using the design from the original artwork:

Cross shield, generic sword, brown shirt, yellow band on hat, long side burns, round nose, less detailed eyes, and so on.

It would really be unique instead of just Link in different clothes.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I know Link has some great armor and costume options, but I think it would be great if they went a different route and added old-school Link. Not 8-bit, using the design from the original artwork:

Cross shield, generic sword, brown shirt, yellow band on hat, long side burns, round nose, less detailed eyes, and so on.

Classic Link would look kinda silly imo.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848

sadly, if nintendo did put it in, people would complain about the cross on the shield and call it politically incorrect

xJcLx

Drummer to "Oath To Order" Band
NNID
AvengedxJcLx
I would love a Fierce Deity Link. But I don't want my hopes too high if that atl. costume doesn't come through :|

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Classic Link would look kinda silly imo.
sadly, if nintendo did put it in, people would complain about the cross on the shield and call it politically incorrect
Also, he looks kinda dumpy.

I would love a Fierce Deity Link. But I don't want my hopes too high if that atl. costume doesn't come through :|
I would say that's about as likely as me getting my Hero's Shade skin. We can dream, though, can't we?

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Definatly hoping for Magic armor from Twilight Princess more than anything else, I'd also settle for fierce deity link though.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I like all these ideas, but one costume I would love but I know they would never do is the Hero's Shade from Twilight Princess. Oh well I'll just have to hope to see a palette swap giving either him or Toon Link the purple hair and the clothing colors of the LttP Link... Which probably won't happen either.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Doesn't count as an alternate costume since it's only the colors of the outfit that changed.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I find this alt color really cool.

I honestly think that Link doesn't need an alt 3D model: Only his green tunic is really iconic. SS "town clothes" are just at the beginning of the game. With how the alt models are handled ("alternate character" with his own colors), I think that SS Link would be superfluous.

So it's really cool to have something else than blue/red/purple. References in alt colors are cool, and you can be sure that I will almost always use this color.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
The pic of the day was great, I didn't like the hat. BUT! I bet there is something to do with hit boxes so I'm now 100% fine with it.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I really wanted this costume, but I'm sort of disappointed. I actually think this is rather lazy; its not an 'outfit', rather its another boring palette swap.

I now worry about the quality of future alternate costumes... I had my hopes up for casual Toon Link, but in all likelihood it will be done with minimal effort, if its even done at all.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really like the design of this alternative costume! So far, the best one I've seen!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
His new alt is my favorite so far as well. I do like how the model hasn't changed actually, nice to see it like this.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I really wanted this costume, but I'm sort of disappointed. I actually think this is rather lazy; its not an 'outfit', rather its another boring palette swap.

I now worry about the quality of future alternate costumes... I had my hopes up for casual Toon Link, but in all likelihood it will be done with minimal effort, if its even done at all.
I don't think it's laziness. I do think that alt costumes must be important, or change a lot. And that's not really the case of this one. Plus, alt costumes have, so far, their own colors swap.

So I'm glad to see it like this.

And like Ryan, I like the fact the model hasn't changed. That beige cap looks awesome.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I would also like Ordon Link and Hyrule Warriors Link as suggested on this thread, those would be awesome.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Link has too many costumes to choose from to make a simple suggestion. We have to draw graphs and run estimates to decide which costume would be the most beneficial for the fans.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Reference: Skyward Sword civilian clothes Link

Wow; the newly-announced "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword civilian clothes"-based alternate semi-costume (it's apparently classified as a palette/texture swap", although it's a more-detailed variant) reminded me of all of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl texture hacks that I've seen over the years.. XD Although this particular alternate costume wasn't one of my top wishlist requests, it's nice to see it make it in (I was instantly reminded of Fierce Deity Link, probably because of the tribal-esque markings...). I hope it stays for future installments of Super Smash Bros. (instead of just being in for only Super Smash Bros. 4 because Skyward Sword is the most recent non-remake Legend of Zelda home console game), particularly since it probably took a bit of work to realize it in comparison to the typical red/blue/green/purple palette swaps. Although it would've been neat to see the developers go the whole way in regards to a "Skyward Sword civilian outfit costume" (as in, alternate costume instead of palette swap), I feel like this is a nice compromise. Additionally, Link would just seem weird and not "battle-ready" if he lacked his trademark hat, at least in my opinion. XD I'm surprised this outfit made in it at all compared to the more-often-requested (at least from my experience) Magic Armor and Zora Armor outfits.

..On the other hand, the presence of this outfit is going to make it all the more irritating if the Magic Armor and Zora Armor outfits (both of which I would like to see replace the plain Red Tunic and Blue Tunic palette swaps, respectively) from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess don't make it into the game as similar "alternate semi-costumes". In terms of costume changing, I would think that the colored+embellished Tunics would've taken priority over the civilian outfits.. And considering that a few texture hacks have done a decent job incorporating the Magic and Zora Armors in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it's not like the feat is impossible..

And from the Super Smash Bros. wiki:

Unless Link's Red Tunic and Purple/Lavender Tunic get a substantial redesign from the demo versions prior to the release of Super Smash Bros. 4, I'm afraid that Magic Armor and Zora Armor will be missing in action once again.. T_T

I'm averse to the Hyrule Warriors Link becoming a costume mainly because I perceive it as "Link in Green Tunic, except with a fancy scarf" (not saying that the scarf is bad; I just feel like it doesn't add much and you might as well use "Green Tunic" Link to represent all of the Green Tunic variations), reminding me of all of Sonic the Hedgehog's alternate costumes from Brawl. Additionally, I'm not a fan of the Ocarina of Time Adult Link alternate costumes because it seems like a Tunic change would be implemented before the occurrence of a change to a model that isn't even being used primarily for Super Smash Bros. 4.

My "alternate costume wishlist" for Link (basically, take all of Super Smash Bros. Brawl's outfits for Link, modify Red Tunic and Blue Tunic accordingly, and I'm set):
Green - Hero's Clothes Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess pretty much every Legend of Zelda game ever

Red - Magic Armor Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
--I'd prefer it if this design replaced the standard "Red Tunic" palette swap, since it's essentially an embellished Red Tunic design.

Blue - Zora Armor Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
--I'd prefer it if this design replaced the standard "Blue Tunic" palette swap, since it's essentially an embellished Blue Tunic design and makes more sense - being a much more logical design for traversing underwater depths.

Purple - "Purple Tunic" Link from The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
--although the current implementation from the E3 2014 Super Smash Bros. 4 demo looks a little bright for my tastes, I feel like it should be included somehow.

Black - Dark Interloper/Dark Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
--Although I loved "Black Tunic" Link from Super Smash Bros. Melee, Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros. Brawl nailed this design/implementation.

Gold - "Augmented Attack Strength" Link (whenever Link consumes Golden Chu Jelly or Great Fairy's Tears) from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTIuVu_rLug

-why is a picture/video of this strengthened form of Link so hard to find? >_> T_T
--I loved Super Smash Bros. Brawl's implementation of the design, although I'm wondering if it would look too similar to a potential Magic Armor Link costume, which makes considerable use of gold and black adornments..

-----

Other costumes that I'm interested in but don't necessarily need:

White - Fierce Deity Link from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
--originally, I was on the fence about this design because "purple Link" has seemed light enough to pass for a white tunic, making this costume seem somewhat redundant. Since Super Smash Bros. 4 made the purple look more "purple" instead of "really light purple/purple-white", I'd be open to a Fierce Deity Link costume change (although it would probably be the one requiring the most work due to the decals and irregular sword).

White2/Gray? - Knight-In-Training/Soldier from Hyrule Warriors OR The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess:
--(Not sure of the proper name.) I like this idea standalone, but it seems somewhat plain if I consider it alongside Fierce Deity Link... Anyways, as others have mentioned, Link's "standard soldier" outfit from Hyrule Warriors or the Soldier outfit from Twilight Princess could look interesting, being a simple change of pace from all of the other Tunics which seem to be important in some way.

Finally, if we have to keep the "standard palette swap of tunic" alternate costumes for the Red and Blue Tunic, can we please make Blue Tunic Link's boots brown? The purple shoes always seemed to clash with the blue tunics, in my opinion..

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman

Skyward Sword casual clothes as an alt palette for Link. The model hasn't changed, but the colors are there.

The blue sleeves underneath is a nice touch.
It doesn't really feel like they even tried with this "alternate costume". It's a simple color swap, really.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I think it's safe to say at this point alternate costumes are just palette swaps with minute changes to the model, which is completely understandable considering how much the developers have their hands full with the rest of the game. I'm still happy about Link's costume even if it wasn't the magic armor I always wanted, I'm just glad this is in the game at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom