• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaties... <_<

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
they are quite a troublesome bunch. I have allot of trouble comboing and killing them.
Not just the super floaties, all floaty and semifloaty characters.

These give me the most trouble:
1. Peach
2. Doc/Mario
3. Ness
4. Jiggz
5. zelda

for the most part i try to stay underneath them and dash around trying to make them approach and punish them and try to control the center. I have a hell of allot of trouble against these characters (it usually leads to people worse than me winning against me, which is irritating)

I also have allot of trouble playing against one of my friends who has a somewhat n00by playstyle. He uses Peach, Doc and Ness and has the techskill of a braindead cow. I've been trying to think of how I should punish his habits. He usually approaches with a dash attack (which i usually shield) and then rolls back if he misses (I'm thinking I should Agility out of sheild behind where he's rolling and f-smash him or something). If I knock him down, he never techs and he'll always get up attack if i'm close (I'm thinking i should jump over him and thunder maybe? if i'm under a platform i'll jump up and drop into a nair at the end of his attack before he can shield). If he's Doc and I jolt he always capes it (I try to go on a platform jump -> jolt -> drop to ground and he capes the jolt and I run in and grab), if he's ness he absorbs it (i usually do the same thing as with doc), if he's peach he just shields (not powershield, just normal). His edge guard is always an f-smash (always). And his peach is always grounded (no float canceling) and doesn't use turnips. He will also never go off stage to edge guard.
as for why i'm losing i think its because of this: I have trouble playing those characters, I have trouble playing n00by playstyles (they don't react like i want), I'm not punishing him well enough, I instinctively go to the edge of the stage and try to gimp him, I am bad at edge gaurding those characters, I am too predictable when I recover.

What annoys me the most is that he's way worse than me, but i lose to him and now he has a huge ego and thinks he's really good (it annoys me how i should be crushing him and i'm not)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Why don't you just shield > U-smash/grab on the dash attacks?

Like, seriously, just think about some of this stuff. He never techs? Hit him off the ground. He always get-up attacks? Jump over him and hit him or do something OOS to punish it (probably U-smash or grab). These are really easy things to beat...

It sounds like you could probably just dash dance Nair and pretend to be a really crappy Fox and beat him.

To edgeguard Ness just jump offstage and eat the PK Thunder, or Nair him. Doc just learn how to ledgehop Nair effectively, or jump out and Nair him. Peach just run around underneath her and Nair her if she's coming in from high, otherwise ledgehop Nair. If you can U-smash her, do it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yea i try to do all this :S
dash dance into nair doesn't work on him though, he just sits there and if i approach he f-smashes.
and for edge guarding ness doesn't give me trouble, just doc and peach, but thanks for the advice.

Its weird though, I do well against good people that play smart, then against bad people I just lose and that really frustrates me :(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
dash dance into nair doesn't work on him though, he just sits there and if i approach he f-smashes.
Then you're extremely predictable and as stupid as he is.

Arbitrary F-smash from any of those characters should not suffice as an actual answer to Pichu's Nair because at many, many spacings your move should win just by stuffing theirs (which is made possible by Pichu's speed, and his Nair's speed).

Think about it; Pichu covers so much ground so quickly and his Nair comes out in 3 frames. Those F-smashes come out in like 14 or something (I'm not looking this up because of how ridiculous the strategy is inherently).

Because of this speed difference he has to do his F-smash incredibly early to even have a chance of beating your Nair with it. Dash dance to Nair, getting into a decent range > Nair, bait F-smash > punish with Nair should beat arbitrary F-smashes; I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but it's you and not the plan.

I'm toying with the idea that you're trolling, now that I reread the original post. If so, good work. If not, then I'm baffled by you.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
No I'm actually not trolling, I'm sorry if me being bad at the game offends you... thanks for the advice I guess, I'll try to look more at what I'm doing that makes me predictable, but listen to ralis, how does I combo them?

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
It's not really possible to combo them after a certain damage %, thats why i say keep them off stage stage, or above you might sound like a bad thing since they can float around but they more open in the air, then they are on the ground, avoid damage self as much as possible.

The only game plan that seems to work on floaty characters is hit 'n' run.

1. Peach

Keep her above you, and prepare for her descent, use her turnip against her if possible. It will even the distance between you, and her.

2. Doc/Mario

Keep off the stage, Mario recovery is very poor and makes him easy to gimp, use your attacks wisely and you'll come out on top.

3. Ness

Keep Him off the stage, His recovery is good, and bad but predictable you can either

A. Intercept him while he's trying to loop his attack.

or

B. Wait with a Side-B charge at a good distance in case he lands on stage for a easy kill.

4. Jiggz

Keep her above, the only attack that doesn't knock her up is your down smash her off stage recovery is to good for that, her above you and watch out for rest it's her only tool that may end up killing you.

5. zelda

Keep her above you, or maybe not? Zelda recovery is iffy, so keeping her off the stage can be good or bad, but keeping her above you is much easier, her only defense is her N-air which doesn't have much kill power at all.

Hope that helps, feel free to correct anything i said.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
thanks, I'll try to do that allot more. I've heard the "hit 'n' run" thing before, but i always forget to do that, so i'll try to do that more i guess

Top Bottom