• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flavorless Mafia: Game Over. Who won?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
That actually coincides with Kary's sheer lack of contribution throughout the game masked by his disappointment with the thread. After the VERY beginning of post RVS, Kary stalled actually contributing until near the end of the game, which is when discontent with Garg+J was already established as the towny POV. One can't deny the [dis]connection between him + J, but at the same time that could just be good distancing.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Kary [+J] on Day 1:

Post 25 [http://smashboards.com/threads/flav...dline-may-20th-11-59pm.351712/#post-16565826]:

Kary's infamous opening post where he said he'd give honk, Badwolf [dabuz] and Jake [Nabe] a free pass to Day 2 because they're all "mislynches waiting to happen". It's interesting to note that Kary labels all of them as "mislynches" but saying that Kary must have written it from the pov of a scumbag and therefore knowing them 3 players to be town would probably be taking it too far. I don't see how a townie would've said it differently. The fact that two of them three players have already flipped town doesn't mean too much either because it's not unlikely to have 2 townies in a random pool of 3 people [scum:town ratio is usually lower than 1:3]. If Kary made this post as a scumbag then he named three actual mislyches that he'd exclude from his lynchpool during Day 1 and none of them are particularly diffiuclt mislynches to gain. As a townie Kary either has accidentally named a scumbag [Nabe] or he correctly named three townies and the final scumbag is somebody else. By itself I find the post to not be very
telling but it might gain weight in conjunction with other posts. Same goes for him asking J if he's scum in that post.

After that Kary mainly deals with people's reactions to his post but nothing concrete is mentioned that reflects a stance on any player in particular. Instead he argues on a meta-level that doesn't refer to what had happened in this game but just game-theory in general. That seems like quite a logical reaction because a.) the people who asked him have pushed him into that position and b.) he had already shown us the concrete [and flawed] implementation of his theory by way of giving the three aforementioned players a pass. So far that still adds up to a fairly null read - you can't hold anything he's said or done for or against him.

Post 86 [http://smashboards.com/threads/flav...may-20th-11-59pm.351712/page-3#post-16570131]:

In this post he throws a fos at Gorf who has been wagoned by Ryu, Garg and Nich - two townies and a scumbag. When I asked Kary why he decided to fos Gorf he gave this response:
"Basically what Nich posted. I don't think it's really telling that Gorf's being unhelpful but you've still got to ask. It could have been a vote but I was curious about leaving that back for a fake hammer down the line. From the look of the votecount you don't actually need to unvote though."
My answer in post #194 was that the last sentence in this response doesn't make sense to me. To which he later responds:
"Well it's easy to fake vote people if you abuse the fact that you have to unvote between votes. 'cept Garg's vote had moved back to Gorf so Ran wasn't enforcing that rule."

Don't know why I didn't notice it earler but Kary didn't actually answer my question at all. The "fake hammer" thing still makes no sense at all and doesn't explain why he'd fos Gorf when a vote would've been all fine. Why would a townie hold back there? 4 or 5 votes would've been perfectly fine when it took 7 to lynch. If he were Garg's scummate it would've been different though because he might've been scared of laving a paper trail. To be quite exact, the fos makes sense as neither alignment but scum at least would've had a reason, a poor one admittedly but still better than nothing.

Post 136 [http://smashboards.com/threads/flav...may-20th-11-59pm.351712/page-4#post-16571621]:

J responds to Kary asking him whether he's scum. Kary's tone is pretty aggressive as J hasn't responded to it earler despite Kary asking him twice. J notices a difference in Kary's tone and his approach. He also accuses him of "hiding his intent". At that point of the game, I didn't feel like that was the case at all. Both players take quite solid stances on each other based on their negative feelings towards each other, for which neither had a good reason at that time. Could definitely be distancing or at least orchestrate stances on each other that would make a potential bus later on look less obvious.
Kary keeps up the aggression in 157 where he responds to J defensive-aggressive 136 with some more tacked-on aggression, for which again there was no real need nor warrant. He even said that he gets "tired of the same **** that happens every single game" they play ... after only ONE post J has made. That definitely reaches deep into the realm of fakery and distancing.
Finally, J claims in #163 that he simply missed the question and the whole back and forth dies. Not very believable if you ask me, even though J's name cannot be tagged. The discussion between them two dies anyway.

From page 6 onward ... things become strange. J argues against July who has J and Kary [!] as her top two scumreads. What's weird about it is that J's counter arguments on page 6, 7 and 13 mainly attempt to discredit July's points by way of telling her she's wrong about Kary. What's even more remarkable is that Kary himself isn't arguing nearly as much against July as J is. In fact it's virtually only J who argues against July's points on Kary despite Kary disappearing from page 9 to like page 13 or 14 or even later?
Then comes J backpedaling starting on page 13 where he claims in #483 that focusing on Kary led us into a dead-end and post #493 is kind of the logical consequence of all their interactions: J can now give off the impression that he supports a Kary lynch but makes no effort to actually do so. From then on J can join the Kary wagon and leave it as he pleases. On page 14, now that the Kary wagon has started to roll, he magically becomes one of the most vocal supporters of the wagon and as Kary returns on p. 15 - surprise, surprise - Kary is starting to join in the skirmish against J.
When the wagon finally moved towards Garg - who ultimately got lynched - it's interesting to note that J had his vote kept on Kary and vice versa.

It's really hard for me to interpret what happened at the end of Day 1 but it looks a bit planned.

:059:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Well that was a long read XD

Aight no offence but I don't really want to die here. Endgame fromar/Nabe/Gheb sounds like a ****storm to me, and gettting lynched doesn't look good on my record. Here I try and allay your concerns in three easy steps:

First, whatever wine someone threw at my slot doesn't make me scum. #1 because I'm not, and #2 because any sympathy I have for 'X as scum would have said this' arguments, they're 90% confirmation bias in my experience. It's easy to ****ing see me as scum if you look hard enough for it.

I dipped in the middle of Day 1 and for that I apologize. It's a lot harder to see these games through than it is to sign up for them, and when I got hit by some srs bsns, everytime I looked at this game it was a ****ing chore rather than something i might enjoy.

The third point is broadly that I haven't done anything townie (except for the things that I have done, lol). This is true in the sense that I haven't been actively very townie. But mostly that's b/c I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for this game and a lot of times people beat me to the punch (for instance in Gorf pushing fromar). I feel confident that the last scummer doesn't have a lot of thread presence, and weeding through what there is to go on is the kinda mission it's not even worth me throwing a bunch of energy into.

In this part I seamlessly transition into why I think Gheb/Nabe are the plays and the game is GG

Gorf is town b/c of the strength of his day play and his attitude overall. This is a man who didn't break a sweat lynching Garg/J back to back, and he continues to do his own thing at his own pace. People clearing him/ condemning off the back of his claim just need to look at how it's barely affected his play to see that he's legit

Fromar reads town both off two halves, on one hand thorough argument and thinking through of scenarios with a town problem-solving mentality, and on the other hand through genuine distaste with how gummed up this game has got and the lackadaisical play from many quarters.

Gheb is a slot that I was happy to see through the first two Days and I can give him credit for his place on their waggons. But subsequent to that I feel he hasn't really been contributing to discussion or pushing town forward. I can understand just wanting to lynch some slots, but that doesn't mean fading into the background. His recent post-by-post is kinda a jarring contrast and I find it hard to see the mindset he's coming from.

Nabe is blatantly trolling the thread. My normal recourse for reading his slot is to wait until he engages his scum engines and starts making wildly suspect plays, b/c his bobbing along the surface could go either way for me. With regards to Jake, I really don't have anything outside of a null read, and i'm not willing to refer to some bull**** that J said in lieu of that.

I'd say that overall my townreads are stronger than my scumreads, but I feel confident that this is the direction we should go in. I tried to phrase this in the sense of making a case b/c I want to kind of make progress going forward here. All our reads are kinda weirdly split and I'd like to see a game plan for toDay and potential Lylo.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I'm sorry for walling off there btw, that should probably have just been 2 posts.

The "fake hammer" thing still makes no sense at all and doesn't explain why he'd fos Gorf when a vote would've been all fine. Why would a townie hold back there? 4 or 5 votes would've been perfectly fine when it took 7 to lynch.
He even said that he gets "tired of the same **** that happens every single game" they play ... after only ONE post J has made. That definitely reaches deep into the realm of fakery and distancing.
I just want to set you straight on a couple of things.

#1 Had I voted Gorf at that point, people would see me voting Gorf, and subsequently would not believe I had hammered were I to vote again at L-1.
However, if I had saved my vote until Gorf was at L-1, and not unvoted at any point, I could 'hammer' Gorf and take people by surprise b/c it wasn't obvious to anyone that you had to unvote between votes for it to count.

J said:
You are very weird this game. By weird, I mean you are not the Kary I remember from the past. Usually you have a method to your posts and a reason to why you are doing such things, but the whole debacle with "Giving certain players a free pass" is kind of...odd. I am still going back and forth between whether it is scummy or just bad town play. You are hiding your intent though, that's what I don't like if I had to put it into more detailed words
-----------------------------------
How am I hiding my intent? I'm tired of the same **** that happens every single game we play. Now maybe I don't have the best way of trying to counteract that, but I don't really see why this is any worse than me picking people at random to give them grief.
When I said 'I get tired of the same ****', I am explaining my stance about not wanting those 3 slots as insta-mislynches, as seems to happen in all the games on SWF.
I'm not talking about anything J has posted, or about games that he and I have played together.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hmmm OK, that clarifies a couple of things. I'll continue rereading individual slots [mainly Kary, Gorf and Nabe] and bringing up points tomorrow.

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
That actually coincides with Kary's sheer lack of contribution throughout the game masked by his disappointment with the thread. After the VERY beginning of post RVS, Kary stalled actually contributing until near the end of the game, which is when discontent with Garg+J was already established as the towny POV. One can't deny the [dis]connection between him + J, but at the same time that could just be good distancing.
yeah that disconnection made me stop lookin at him as well. karebears had a lot of moments that made me think he was not scum

who are yu lookin at for the next 2 lynches?

#HBC | Gorf

As of right now, you and Gheb. Give me some time to rethink things though, that opinion is subject to change depending on how I feel about Kary. Nabe's slot seems very much town, but the rest of you three is currently a toss up till I read back.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You are beyond reason if you exclude anybody from the scumpool right now though. Everybody needs to be considered at this point and nobody is "very much town", let alone "off the table".

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
at this point I'm pretty convinced that Nabe is town.
Nabe is now my strongest town read and I think the last scum is between Gheb and Kary.
So toDay is definitely going to be a case between Gorf and Nabe for me. Would like to hear a good reason on why Nabe is town other than J buddying Jakestan.

I thought this was going to get followed-up, but I guess not?

@frozenmarshy751 how do you go from Nabe as a 'gun to the head townlean' to your strongest townread?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
EBWOP

at this point I'm pretty convinced that Nabe is town.
Nabe is now my strongest town read and I think the last scum is between Gheb and Kary.
So toDay is definitely going to be a case between Gorf and Nabe for me. Would like to hear a good reason on why Nabe is town other than J buddying Jakestan.
I thought this was going to get followed-up, but I guess not?

@ frozenmarsh751 frozenmarsh751 how do you go from Nabe as a 'gun to the head townlean' to your strongest townread?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This game has gotten quite stale imo. Every time I think I have a good idea on slot X, somebody presents a solid counter-argument to my stance. The only exceptions are fromarsh [who I'm convinced is town] and Nabe as I have yet to hear why he's supposedly not a potential play anymore. But I just can't make up my mind between Kary, Gorf and Nabe and will likely decide based on peoples' arguments on these slots.

#HBC | Gorf

What you mean Nabe?

I've been wanting to really sit down n think when I look at this game and I've yet to get the chance. I'll have it today and if I don't then even I'm surprised that I'm that lazy.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Votecount 5.2

frozenmarsh751
Gorf

Kary: frozenmarsh751
Gheb_01
Nabe

Not voting:
Gorf, Kary, Gheb, Nabe.

Notes:
List of Links and Votecounts

*= Currently being replaced
**= V/LA

With 5 players, it takes 3 votes to lynch
The deadline for Day 5 is May 20th, at 11:59 PM

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

terribly sorry for the lack of input on it, but somehow making that 1138 ****ing ate my draft of my read up. here's my thoughts in a nutshell:

-still can't see gheb as scum from his early play interacting with garg and j, coupled with the fact that he was a really pertinent presence throughout. reads developed naturally, stances were justified. he played a towny's game, and the decline throughout does make sense from a town pov when you consider him just not really minding town's direction. plus, it just doesn't make sense from his standpoint to make the nk's scum did.
-nabe still obvtown. **** you gheb.
-fromar still fishy, but i empathize with the slot's early play and how his play developed through the thread. i also think his kary case is very strong, and i think kary's counterpoints, while slightly understandable from town's pov, don't necessarily do it for me.
-kary needed to be prodded for attention d1 and his early d1 play was run of the mill null, and as scum i completely get why he did that. logic suckers like me know that that **** isn't scummy in and of itself. saying that he won't be on the wagons of x y or z (can't remember who they are off the top of my head) is the perfect out and the perfect way to get the ball rolling in such a way that forces others to make a stance on you, and subsequently others to make a stance on them, so on and so forth. all he had to do was logically justify why he did what he did. and then BOOM he dipped. he dipped all the way until like ****ing yesterDay. i decided that having this slot in lylo is our worst option.

vote kary

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
-still can't see gheb as scum from his early play interacting with garg and j, coupled with the fact that he was a really pertinent presence throughout. reads developed naturally, stances were justified. he played a towny's game, and the decline throughout does make sense from a town pov when you consider him just not really minding town's direction. plus, it just doesn't make sense from his standpoint to make the nk's scum did.
-nabe still obvtown, **** you gheb
what from ghebs interactions with garg/j make you think hes innocent? and how do the nks not make sense for ghebscum?

WHAT about nabes play is townish to you? i dont get that **** at all cuz i thought jakestan was nasty as **** on a reread. im concerned that too much stock is bein put into js dickriding of jake

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
unvote

if karebears innocent that means the last scum is just sheeping me onto the penultimate mislynch. **** is so whack. ill try to pull up some **** town should be analyzing sometime soon but with the past two days i cant trust ****** to do the simplest **** like not hammer a ***** prematurely as ****

@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe

so is that post gonna happen or what? 5 days to deadline. if not im considering lynching you due to being long overdue in addition to upholding principle and simply so i can have the dignity of losing to someone who actually played should you be town

also is anyone besides me and gorf gonna be the one to push for once? holy **** guys

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
also is anyone besides me and gorf gonna be the one to push for once? holy **** guys
@ frozenmarsh751 frozenmarsh751 how do you go from Nabe as a 'gun to the head townlean' to your strongest townread?
>.>

You know I'm looking towards a Nabe lynch for toDay, but when I ask you to explain how you feel about the slot you don't get back to me.

I can really only do so much with everyone pushing in different directions.

terribly sorry for the lack of input on it, but somehow making that 1138 ****ing ate my draft of my read up. here's my thoughts in a nutshell:

-nabe still obvtown. **** you gheb.
-fromar still fishy, but i empathize with the slot's early play and how his play developed through the thread. i also think his kary case is very strong, and i think kary's counterpoints, while slightly understandable from town's pov, don't necessarily do it for me.
-kary needed to be prodded for attention d1 and his early d1 play was run of the mill null, and as scum i completely get why he did that. logic suckers like me know that that **** isn't scummy in and of itself. saying that he won't be on the wagons of x y or z (can't remember who they are off the top of my head) is the perfect out and the perfect way to get the ball rolling in such a way that forces others to make a stance on you, and subsequently others to make a stance on them, so on and so forth. all he had to do was logically justify why he did what he did. and then BOOM he dipped. he dipped all the way until like ****ing yesterDay. i decided that having this slot in lylo is our worst option.

vote kary
I love how I dipped at one point and you scumread me for it, but if I'd done jack **** all game, i'd be obvtown.

Reading this I feel like you're hanging all of your reads off the back of interactions with Garg/J, but it doesn't make any ****ing sense how they play out. Literally the one slot you think most likely to be town is the one who was nowhere near the J/Garg waggons, and you're townreading them b/c you think you know how J would play as scum.

It also bothers me that you'd just ****ing throw me to the noose off the back of something fromar said. How am I any more of a liability in Lylo than anyone else? What would you have done if Gheb came in and hammered there and then?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I've been kinda sitting on my vote for the last couple of Days b/c I feel like if this goes to Lylo it's gonna be a ****storm. I think Nabe is the highest scum % here but with people blocking that I don't know what the right push is. Lynching Gheb toDay might just be signing myself up as the scapegoat for Lylo and I really don't want that.

I'd kinda hoped that something would happen these last couple days; Gheb had a burst of energy after he was pressured but that seems to have just died down again, and now there's this push on me which doesn't really tell me anything. I don't know, man, this ****ing game.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Lylo will definitely be a nightmare if this game actually comes down to it. I think lynching Nabe is possible though - you and I are for it and fromarsh doesn't seem to be against it. The question is why Gorf insists so much on Nabetown for like no reason at all. At this point it's bafflingly unwarranted that it makes me wonder wtf is wrong with Gorf and whether he might be a scumbag pretending to know things [though that wouldn't make sense either]. If Gorf is town then this game is pretty much nothing else than a succession of terribad decisions on his part. Which makes me wanna just Occam it up and lynch Gorf again ... but damnit, Nabe's presence alone is driving me mad and between them two having no warrant to be alive at this point, I feel like there's some pretty decent evidence on why Kary could be scummates with J.

... I just want this to be over with.

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
karebear if yu want nabe to die then ****ing vote him. im not gonna talk about any townreads wrt him cuz frozen was the one sayin strong town and dudes busy with other ****. if i (marshy) ever called him town in this game then i dont remember sayin that and was prolly sauced

ima get at this soon but im mostly posting to say that yo we should lynch gorf while hes banned for lulz

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
iight

IIGHT NO ONE ****IN HAMMER

or im lynching yu in lylo. karebear if you are town then let your current position be a lesson in not calling people town for ******** reasons cuz yur ruylike strongest townreads for the entire game are now dangling the noose over your neck. luckily for you im lookin at another option and just waiting on frozen

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
karebear if you are town then let your current position be a lesson in not calling people town for ******** reasons cuz yur ruylike strongest townreads for the entire game are now dangling the noose over your neck. luckily for you im lookin at another option and just waiting on frozen
I said he was town, I didn't say he knew what the **** he was doing.

Gheb hopping on could just be being lazy on his part but either way i'm not a fan.

I've been thinkin' overnight and I really do want Nabe dead. Even if that's not the game, it makes everything else so much easier to deal with. And if I'm gonna go down here, i'd rather go down swinging.

Vote: Nabe

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
i still want gorf to die. the only reason hes alive is due to his claim which im havin difficulty believing that he didnt protect anyone last night ESPECIALLY a universal townread in riddick. that and hes just shifted his opinion/votes in grimy as **** ways and ive had enough. in a surprising twist ive convinced myself that i dont give a **** about his claim. id appreciate no one hammering just yet so i can get a quick word out of frozen but in the meantime

DIE GORF!!

vote gorf

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
Still haven't read. Based on today,

Scum->Town
Gorf/Gheb > Froyo > Kary

Vote: Gorf
He came into the Day with pleas to me and Kary for a Froyo lynch, but doesn't seem committed to that scumread and is now voting Kary which I don't get.

walk me through the transition of feelin that spark against karebear to him becoming your strongest townread

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Gheb hopping on could just be being lazy on his part but either way i'm not a fan.
Not lazy, just indifferent.

I mean what am I doing this for? At the beginning of toDay I claimed to go after Gorf hardbody only to have that move *********** by fromarsh. So I came to terms with it and moved on, only to see fromrash turning towards Gorf now all of a sudden. The same happened with Nabe getting *********** by Gorf. It just seems entierly pointless for me to do just about anything. I just want to see a flip. I just want Kary, Gorf and Nabe to die and have this game over soon.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Vote Nabe

I shall keep my vote there for the rest of the Day. This guy deserves a hundred deaths. I don't even know anymore why we've been dealing with his absolutely grotesque play for so long. I will not give Nabe of all people a chance to win this game as scum.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste

walk me through the transition of feelin that spark against karebear to him becoming your strongest townread
The spark post wasn't about Kary, it was a general urge to read that didn't end up happening. The townread is because he's not doing anything to win if he's scum, just tunneling me full-throttle. He gives no ****s about getting voted.

Top Bottom