• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
And so it's over. Now all there is for us to do is wait...or is there?

You see, I think we could still help our cause a little if we keep showing our support. Unlike a lot of the Ballot candidates, our character actually has a chance of getting in through non-Ballot means. Because Delphox might have been on the Smash team's radars at some point, any promotional art or writing or even videos we can come up with increases the odds of swaying them as well as growing our support base.

So...we're not done yet. Or at least, we don't have to be. Where so many other characters can only wait and hope, we can keep acting.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So if anyone has seen this, they should take a look.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-...hter-is-coming-within-two-weeks-and-makes-a-w

From what I'm reading, if the rumor is true, it sadly doesn't look like it's going to be Delphox, as Delphox doesn't really fit under the category of "Big deal" and "makes a whole lot of sense". It also seems like it won't be Shovel Knight or Shantae so I am kind of happy about that. Gonna have to put my bets down and say it's Splatoon, that is the only thing that really comes to my mind to fit these categories, only if the rumor is true though.

Probably going to have to wait a little bit longer for Delphox, but Splatoon was probably to be expected, it's Nintendo's newest IP and I guess they don't want to wait until Smash 5 to do it.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So if anyone has seen this, they should take a look.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-...hter-is-coming-within-two-weeks-and-makes-a-w

From what I'm reading, if the rumor is true, it sadly doesn't look like it's going to be Delphox, as Delphox doesn't really fit under the category of "Big deal" and "makes a whole lot of sense". It also seems like it won't be Shovel Knight or Shantae so I am kind of happy about that. Gonna have to put my bets down and say it's Splatoon, that is the only thing that really comes to my mind to fit these categories, only if the rumor is true though.

Probably going to have to wait a little bit longer for Delphox, but Splatoon was probably to be expected, it's Nintendo's newest IP and I guess they don't want to wait until Smash 5 to do it.
I wouldn't be so sure, to be honest. The whole thought tying the Inklings to the rumor is that they'd use them to cross-promote Splatoon, an argument that gets thrown around constantly yet has never been the main reason for a character's inclusion in Smash. In fact, Sakurai has hesitated to add IPs or game subseries to a new Smash game that release right around the same time as the Smash game's release.

I mean...sure, it could still happen, but everyone's acting like it's inevitable. Like it's already written. Haven't we seen once already that anything can change?

"Makes a lot of sense" can be vague. It could mean something that only makes sense in hindsight, like the situation with the bonus clones. And though it's not the most likely...it could mean "a character from a flagship franchise that the developers have had their eyes on for a while".

Keep your heads on, everyone. We still have a reason to hope...even if it's a long shot this time.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
No need to be nervous yet. Not until they outright say Smash DLC is coming to a close.

Got any way of settling those nerves?
The results could already be in. I struggled to gain support for Delphox even way before the ballot opened. Everyone was telling me Delphox isn't needed. I'm just worried we lost. I was so looking forward to getting back at everyone who ridiculed this dream of Delphox in Smash.

We all worked so hard. I guess you have a point. They didn't even say they would be the last DLC characters we'll get.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You don't mind me saving you the trouble, right @BluePikmin11 ? (If you do mind then I'm very sorry, but I'd want to know whether or not I could spread the news to some of the other threads. I won't post it in other threads though if you want me to stop though :p.)

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/#more-2932 So we are ranked at number 230 on Source gaming's polloverall and 85 on our own poll (Newcomer?), which while it isn't all that great, is better than what I thought we'd get so that's good at least. I don't think we really needed that high of a number anyway, since like Delzethin Delzethin 's said, our best chance is that Sakurai realizes how unique of a character Delphox is and it taps his creativity, where in that case we'd probably have at least enough votes to get noticed. While I believe popularity will be the deciding factor, I think we've still got a chance but I'd definitely recommend not getting our hopes up too high, so we don't end up disappointed.

Any other thoughts on Delphox's rank?

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not sure how the team goes about looking at the ballot suggestions, but I'm pretty sure that Sakurai does not single handedly look through every single one of them, especially in all the English and UK votes. It probably has to be somebody else on the team that finds it and gives it to Sakurai to look at, as it would be worthy showing him or something along the lines of that. It's pretty obvious that our votes for Delphox are probably going to be very rare to come by, so we just have to hope that they came around them, read them, thought about it, and gave it to Sakurai. This is why I said that voting with a good reason as to why Delphox should be a fighter was so very important, because those are the votes they are looking for.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Sorry for the late response, everyone. These last few hours have been surprisingly intensive.

Honestly...I'm a little disappointed by how low we well on the poll, even though it's not as if all of those 1 and 2 votes count against us in the actual Smash Ballot, and especially not if we're looking at non-Ballot chances. In a way, it goes to show what much of the fanbase currently thinks about any character who doesn't have a bandwagon, isn't seen as a shoo-in, and is seen as competition for a character slot to a bigger name. Pokémon characters in general have been getting waved off a lot by people claiming they "have enough" characters, or who are convinced Mewtwo rules out any more, or who think doubling up on DLC characters from the same franchise would automatically kick out a character from a new one somehow.

They're afraid...and they're acting irrationally even though they have no need to.

On the bright side, Delphox keeps trending upward when it comes to Pokémon series exposure. There's a downloadable eshop thing in Japan where you can earn little collectible badges to display on your home menu. Found out on Twitter that there was an update to it today that included Greninja, so naturally, I was wondering if Delphox was also there.

Turns out, Delphox was part of the first set. As the headliner of its subset. One of two starters to be available at the beginning (Charizard was the other), and one of only three now.

So now we have the two starter Pokémon currently playable in Smash...and then Delphox. In fact, every Pokémon on Smash 4's roster other than Jigglypuff is there now. It couldn't be foreshadowing, setting things up for the future...could it?

Realistically, it probably doesn't mean anything. But still, more relevance and another prominent position is a good thing.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Sorry for the late response, everyone. These last few hours have been surprisingly intensive.

Honestly...I'm a little disappointed by how low we well on the poll, even though it's not as if all of those 1 and 2 votes count against us in the actual Smash Ballot, and especially not if we're looking at non-Ballot chances. In a way, it goes to show what much of the fanbase currently thinks about any character who doesn't have a bandwagon, isn't seen as a shoo-in, and is seen as competition for a character slot to a bigger name. Pokémon characters in general have been getting waved off a lot by people claiming they "have enough" characters, or who are convinced Mewtwo rules out any more, or who think doubling up on DLC characters from the same franchise would automatically kick out a character from a new one somehow.

They're afraid...and they're acting irrationally even though they have no need to.

On the bright side, Delphox keeps trending upward when it comes to Pokémon series exposure. There's a downloadable eshop thing in Japan where you can earn little collectible badges to display on your home menu. Found out on Twitter that there was an update to it today that included Greninja, so naturally, I was wondering if Delphox was also there.

Turns out, Delphox was part of the first set. As the headliner of its subset. One of two starters to be available at the beginning (Charizard was the other), and one of only three now.

So now we have the two starter Pokémon currently playable in Smash...and then Delphox. In fact, every Pokémon on Smash 4's roster other than Jigglypuff is there now. It couldn't be foreshadowing, setting things up for the future...could it?

Realistically, it probably doesn't mean anything. But still, more relevance and another prominent position is a good thing.
Don't let the negative votes get to you. Since when has Sakurai and his team ever been predictable with who they release as characters? We're talking about a guy who shoots down "shoe in" characters such as Ridely, K.rool, ect. all the time. I am fairly certain the man is going to give us another character we were not expecting, "we" as in the community. And that character could most certainly be Delphox if he wanted it to be.

Also, this same poll has Wolf as #1, I mean. No offense but a returning clone is #1 on the smash ballot? Really? Lets not take this seriously.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Regardless...they've said the poll is mainly meant to observe people's impressions of each character and how much the fanbase in general is interested in them, not look at their actual chances. If anything, the fact that we got almost 200 4 or 5 votes despite not going into the poll with an active bandwagon is a success of some kind. I wish we could find out who they were (who aren't already here), so we could reach out to them.

Something worth remembering is that people tend to flock to a well-designed character with a unique set of abilities regardless of if they were disliked before then. Though I don't want to over-rely on Sakurai's judgment or act like most of the fanbase doesn't matter in this specific case--it's be selfish for me to make an exception like that--Delphox does have elements that people tend to like.

I mean, out of context? Mages tend to be really popular. So do firebenders. So do characters with good mobility, especially from a competitive standpoint. And one with the potential for all kinds of flashy combos, setups, and kill moves?

Though you could say that about other characters, the fact that Delphox is capable of those things in a way that'd feel completely natural and true to character and require none of the creative reaches that Sakurai dislikes doing says something.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I find Wolf overrated. Other than the fact that he was in Brawl, and he's a Star Fox character, I really don't understand his appeal. He's just a Fox clone.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Can we not bash other characters in here? We want to be all-inclusive, and tearing down other characters that potential supporters might also be fans of does nothing to help us.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Can we not bash other characters in here? We want to be all-inclusive, and tearing down other characters that potential supporters might also be fans of does nothing to help us.
I'm really sorry. I won't do it again. I don't mean to make you look bad. I most certainly don't want any of you to look bad, or repel supporters. I was only expressing an opinion. If somebody likes said character, it's their opinion. I really didn't mean any harm. :crying:

Now, let's get back on topic.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think one of the cooler things about being the underdog is that we have a better outcome than most of the "shoe in" characters.

Most fans of the popular characters generally expect their character to get in, and would be dissapointed if it were to not happen.
If Delphox doesn't get in, then we won't be dissapointed, but rather just simply accept that it was only but a dream.

If the popular character does get in, then there will be rejoice.
But if Delphox gets in, then it's a dream come true and we will have much more to celebrate than anyone could have ever imagined.

EDIT: Since nobody else has posted I'm just going to add this here. There has been further updates on the rumor that's been spreading around about the new DLC character.

The new DLC character is NOT from the Ballot.

99% sure this is the Inklings now. If Nintendo wanted to hand pick a 1st party character of theirs that was a big deal and made a lot of sense, it would be the Inklings for sure. Takes about 4-6 months to make a character and Splatoon came out just about that long ago, big success, everything points to them really.

The other 1% could be Wolf, or Delphox like how Del stated earlier.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'm still not convinced. Sakurai has always hesitated to bring in characters from literally-brand-new IPs or subseries. The massively lauded Super Mario Galaxy came out a couple months before Brawl...but had no content in Brawl itself. The first Pikmin game debuted just a couple months before Melee...and all it got in Melee was a pair of trophies, one of which you needed Pikmin save data to unlock. Splatoon may be a success, but it's still less than six months old, and we still have no idea what its popularity would look like a few years from now. Bringing in the Inklings now--starting work on them probably around May or June--could turn out to be jumping the gun. Combine the risk with the precedent we have of Sakurai not doing that, in addition to the precedent of cross-promotion never being the main reason for a character's inclusion...and it really makes you wonder if he'd rather wait on them.

Honestly? If I wanted to make a safe guess on a newcomer, I'd probably say Dixie Kong. Fan favorite character, her home series is relevant and on the upswing, and has deceptively good moveset potential and would work better as a fully distinct character than a semi-clone of Diddy. I could easily see her as a character that barely missed the initial cut. Other than Dixie, it could be Bandana Dee, potentially Isaac if the reason his AT is MIA is because he was considered for the roster but shelved early on, or maybe next up is the Rhythm Heaven character that apparently was itself shelved early on.

Or maybe it'd be the Inklings anyway. Hell if I know.

Or maybe we'll be seeing more than one character soon. We got three at once a few months ago. Not out of the question.

Or again, I mean, there could be other factors here. Maybe we're just being strung along. Maybe these people don't actually know anything. Maybe they do know but they're being deliberately deceptive, the way the Smashified team has been occasionally. A character almost no one considered would create one hell of a buzz on social media, would it not?

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm still not convinced. Sakurai has always hesitated to bring in characters from literally-brand-new IPs or subseries. The massively lauded Super Mario Galaxy came out a couple months before Brawl...but had no content in Brawl itself. The first Pikmin game debuted just a couple months before Melee...and all it got in Melee was a pair of trophies, one of which you needed Pikmin save data to unlock. Splatoon may be a success, but it's still less than six months old, and we still have no idea what its popularity would look like a few years from now. Bringing in the Inklings now--starting work on them probably around May or June--could turn out to be jumping the gun. Combine the risk with the precedent we have of Sakurai not doing that, in addition to the precedent of cross-promotion never being the main reason for a character's inclusion...and it really makes you wonder if he'd rather wait on them.

Honestly? If I wanted to make a safe guess on a newcomer, I'd probably say Dixie Kong. Fan favorite character, her home series is relevant and on the upswing, and has deceptively good moveset potential and would work better as a fully distinct character than a semi-clone of Diddy. I could easily see her as a character that barely missed the initial cut. Other than Dixie, it could be Bandana Dee, potentially Isaac if the reason his AT is MIA is because he was considered for the roster but shelved early on, or maybe next up is the Rhythm Heaven character that apparently was itself shelved early on.

Or maybe it'd be the Inklings anyway. Hell if I know.

Or maybe we'll be seeing more than one character soon. We got three at once a few months ago. Not out of the question.

Or again, I mean, there could be other factors here. Maybe we're just being strung along. Maybe these people don't actually know anything. Maybe they do know but they're being deliberately deceptive, the way the Smashified team has been occasionally. A character almost no one considered would create one hell of a buzz on social media, would it not?

You forgot the part where you're supposed to say that it could be Delphox even.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well, with further investigation on the rumors, it's the Smashified crew that is spreading this leak, claiming they have knowledge on the next character, why they have knowledge on the next character and it heavily makes me believe the rumors are false all together, but one of them accidentally made a kid/squid joke but deleted it. If the rumor is true, its 100% the inklings.

However, this is a text based only rumor from a group of people who make FAKE LEAKS, y'know, like the Rayman leak. Not sure why anyone is believing this or how it got to become such a big deal.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
However, this is a text based only rumor from a group of people who make FAKE LEAKS, y'know, like the Rayman leak. Not sure why anyone is believing this or how it got to become such a big deal.
It seems the fanbase has been so starved for information that they're running with anything that might resemble news...even if it's on the questionable side.

To be honest, I'm not sure where this could end up going. Maybe it'll turn out to be true at face value like the Ryu and Roy files back in April (then again, that was actual code taken from the 3DS version). Maybe it'll be like the ESRB leak that turned out to be 100% true (although it was still shaky until gameplay footage leaked that confirmed it). Or maybe...this could be a repeat of the July reveal that caught everyone off guard.

Hard to say.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well...considering how far in the day it is now, I think we can rule out a Direct happening tomorrow. Just how long are we going to go without more news?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well you were right, no direct happened, and still no sign of it. Perhaps this is a good sign for us, cause, well, the rumors that were going around weren't exactly hinting at Delphox.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Considering the recent eshop leaks, though, we may have to wait much longer for a Direct. After all, if Twilight Princess HD really is a thing and it's close to being ready, it's definitely the kind of thing they'd reveal in a Direct.

And now I'm starting to wonder if we might get another group of not two but three characters revealed some time soon...

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
The wait is killing me D :
It's killing a lot of us. People are getting so starved for news that they're jumping at anything that could remotely resemble a leak or lead toward a Direct.

That said, there are some recent things that make me wonder if the latter could be happening soon. Server maintenance on all of Nintendo's games on the 19th? A big Splatoon balance update on the 20th, on top of the ever-present Octolings who have even been teased in Japan now? Leaks of planned eshop releases, including an alleged HD remake of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that'd surely be the kind of thing they'd reveal in a Direct and not a casual mention?

Mr. Iwata's untimely passing must've really thrown things off...but we may be seeing a return to form soon. And with how long we've gone without a Smash character reveal, combined with that new placeholder, I'm starting to wonder our chances of seeing three characters soon just like with a few months ago.

The more pre-Ballot or non-Ballot characters, the better our odds, since Delphox has more of a chance of getting in that way.

I guess we're really entering the doldrums here. Hope we get some major Smash news soon...

But nothing saying we can't still talk a little. If Delphox were to get in, what would you want the reveal trailer to be like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Here's some sudden news

https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/655918551652405248

Friggen Masuda, of all people, tweeted out drawings of the kalos trio and said that Delphox was his favorite (probably meant favorite drawing, but still, he specifically says Delphox). The artist that drew this says that they love kalos too. Like, this is a good thing you guys Game Freak actually likes Delphox, maybe we'll actually get something out of this, regardless, I think you should all go send your love to this tweet to show that we like Delphox too.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Here's some sudden news

https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/655918551652405248

Friggen Masuda, of all people, tweeted out drawings of the kalos trio and said that Delphox was his favorite (probably meant favorite drawing, but still, he specifically says Delphox). The artist that drew this says that they love kalos too. Like, this is a good thing you guys Game Freak actually likes Delphox, maybe we'll actually get something out of this, regardless, I think you should all go send your love to this tweet to show that we like Delphox too.

Love the artwork.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Awwwh cool! That's the same artist that drew Delphox I have on my T-Shirt, might just contact him to see if he could turn that piece into a shirt too ^^

EDIT: Nvm he already has!! Another shirt to my collection! <3

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, though I don't think we can automatically say Junichi Masuda would actively push for Delphox in Smash, this news certainly makes it seem like if Sakurai and his team brought it up, he'd be all for it. Another little thing that gives us a slightly greater chance than before.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have to be completely honest, I am certainly one of those individuals that did not believe Delphox had any chance because there was no bandwagon. The way the ballot is set up, it sort of implied that bandwagon-esque characters are the most qualified. Regardless, I started up another X and Y file. I never appreciated Delphox, so I did a file with Froakie and Chespin first only to find that I had to use Fennekin to get my precious Zapdos. Needless to say, I fell in love with her and regret not being a part of this thread. It seems like a friendly place to speculate.

Here's to hoping our magician works her magic!

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I have to be completely honest, I am certainly one of those individuals that did not believe Delphox had any chance because there was no bandwagon. The way the ballot is set up, it sort of implied that bandwagon-esque characters are the most qualified. Regardless, I started up another X and Y file. I never appreciated Delphox, so I did a file with Froakie and Chespin first only to find that I had to use Fennekin to get my precious Zapdos. Needless to say, I fell in love with her and regret not being a part of this thread. It seems like a friendly place to speculate.

Here's to hoping our magician works her magic!
Welcome! I want this place to be as inclusive as we can make it, so anyone is welcome, even people who were skeptical at first.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Seems like the splatoon rumor is finally dead according to reddit. We're back to square one in terms of dlc information, but at least this opens up for more chances for Delphox again, because that last rumor was definetly not Delphox.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, there was always the possibility that there were more characters to be revealed than just the one they knew of, but being back to square one certainly makes things more interesting for any characters the rumors didn't hint towards. It's reaching the point where even formerly trustworthy sources are getting fooled by fake information...

...We've reached 600 posts? I have to say, I really appreciate the time and effort everyone here has put in so far. We've gone from being some "random idea" to one of the more active character threads here! Now we can only hope it ends up amounting to something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom