• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flame Pillar as a defensive tool - What Projectiles Flame Pillar blocks

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
Here's a list of what projectiles Mii Gunner's Best Side B Flame Pillar will block and what projectiles it will not block (As well as a couple of interesting other things). I have yet to do custom moves yet, so information on those would be appreciated also. Keep in mind that the Flame Pillar is shorter than it appears to be, so some moves are much harder to block than others.

Thanks to Mask1n and Tomo009 for helping me test these.
If I've missed anything (Besides custom moves) please let me know.

Moves that the fire of Flame Pillar can block
  • Bowser's fire breath* - (May or may not be accurate. Only blocks one segment if it does)
  • Charizard's Flamethrower?* (See Bowser's Fire Breath)
  • Charizard's rocksmash shards
  • Dark Pit's arrows
  • Dark Pit's Electroshock* - Causes Dark Pit to swing early on the fire pillar
  • Diddy Kong's banana peels
  • Diddy Kong's peanuts
  • Dr. Mario's megavitamins
  • Duck Hunt's clay pigeons
  • Duck Hunt's oil barrel
  • Falco's lasers
  • Fox's lasers
  • G&W's food
  • Greninja's Hyrdo-Pump
  • Greninja's water shuirken* - Not when fully charged
  • King DeDeDe's Gordos
  • King DeDeDe's Stars from landing Up-B
  • Link's arrows
  • Link's bombs
  • Link's boomerang
  • Lucario's force ball
  • Luigi's fireball
  • Mario's fireball
  • Mario's Fludd
  • Megaman's crash bomber
  • Megaman's pellets
  • Megaman's side smash shot
  • Mii Gunner's Bomb Drop
  • Mii Gunner's Charge Shot
  • Mii Gunner's Flame Pillar
  • Mii Gunner's Grenade Launch
  • Mii Gunner's Gunner Missles (Both types)
  • Mii Gunner's Laser Blaze
  • Mii Swordfighter's Shuriken of Light
  • Ness' pk fire* - Causes it to activate
  • Ness' pk thunder
  • Pacman's food* - Everything except the weight, galaga and key
  • Pacman's super pellet
  • Palutena's auto reticule* - Blocks the bullets
  • Peach's turnips
  • Pit's arrows
  • Robin's elfire spell
  • Robin's elthunder spells* - Everything but Thoron
  • Rob's Gyro
  • Rosalina's Luma - Luma being fired can be blocked by Flame Pillar
  • Samus' bombs
  • Samus' charge shots
  • Samus' missles (both types)
  • Shiek's needles
  • Toon Link's arrows
  • Toon Link's bombs
  • Toon Link's boomerang
  • Villager's Lloid rocket
  • Villager's Slingshot
  • Wario's Bike* - Knocks Wario off his bike if he attempts to ride through it
  • Wii Fit Trainer's sun salutation
  • Wii Fit Trainer's volleyball
  • Yoshi's eggs
  • Yoshi's Ground Pound Stars
  • Zero Suit Samus' Blaster Shots

Moves that the fire does not block but the Projectile does
  • Bowser Jr.'s Cannonballs* - Causes it to fall on hit and can still hit if done late
  • Bowser Jr.'s Mecha Koopas
  • Megaman's Leaf shield once thrown* - Possible to destroy one leaf
  • Megaman's Metal Blade
  • Mii Swordfighter's Chakram
  • Villager's Watering Can* - Not sure if it blocks the water, but the water hits and sets off the projectile early

Moves that cannot be blocked
  • Diddy kong's rocket pack after being lost* - Needs more testing, Diddy tanks the hit for the rocket pack with 1 on 1 testing
  • Duck Hunt's gunmen shots
  • Greninja's water shuirken* - Fully charged
  • Kirby's Cutter
  • Mii Brawler's Shot Put
  • Mii Swordfighter's Tornado Strike
  • Pacman's Fire Hydrant when kicked and the water from it
  • Pacman's Weight, Galaga and Key
  • Rob's lasers
  • Robin's Thoron
  • Rosalina's star bits
  • Shiek's Vortex Grenades* - Causes them to detonate early and bounce past the wall as they do so, hitting the gunner most of the time.
  • Villager's bowling ball
  • Villager's pot
  • Villager's tree and tree bits
  • Zelda's Phantom knight

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
^ Shield can block even more moves; every character is broken

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
The flame pillar can be used for escapes and mobility essentially, shields lock you in place, shields cannot be used for escaping.

So there you go mister smarter pants.
There's so much wrong with this i don't even know where to start. Will you be banning robing for his side B? How about palutina?

Anyways great list. I've found it to be my favorite side B so far given the dual utility since you can use it on approach or to deny a small area for a brief moment to re establish your projectile game.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Does the flame pillar have an actual hitbox like Ness' PK Fire?

That would explain why it's able to stop so much.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
There's so much wrong with this i don't even know where to start. Will you be banning robing for his side B? How about palutina?

Anyways great list. I've found it to be my favorite side B so far given the dual utility since you can use it on approach or to deny a small area for a brief moment to re establish your projectile game.
You've clearly looked too much into this, it's not that I think it's bad, I say this in the way that I think it's such a good option which is why it's a broken move in the sense that it covers a lot of things in comparison to other characters, it's an expression you know?

I mean if you haven't noticed a lot of the mii characters matched up against the main cast tend to come out on top due to their customization.

So you need to chill.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Lmao Mii's aren't even broken lol they are pretty average at best. I use Mii Gunner and know it's flaws are against close range fighters. Keeping a good distant is what you gotta do of course. The flame pillar isn't even broken Jezz

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
You've clearly looked too much into this, it's not that I think it's bad, I say this in the way that I think it's such a good option which is why it's a broken move in the sense that it covers a lot of things in comparison to other characters, it's an expression you know?

I mean if you haven't noticed a lot of the mii characters matched up against the main cast tend to come out on top due to their customization.

So you need to chill.
That move is far from broken. Robin's is way better due to it's KO potential, followups and knock back. Also the amount of lag makes it not that great. If you could throw it and follow up easily then it might become more useful, but using it to block some projectiles is really just for style points and way too risky. You could easily block grounded projectiles or short hop over them while dropping bombs/nades for even more mobility. If you make a small Mii your air mobility is ridiculous too. The Flame Pillar limits your mobility compared to the bombs/nades because once you throw it out you can't move much until you hit the ground again (when short hopping).

If anything on Gunner is close to broken it is the Bombs and Gernades. They can KO at decent percent, you recover quick, can short hop them like crazy, can change direction while shooting them and have the perfect arc to be used offensively and defensively.

And t he other 2 Miis come no where close to most of the other cast. Yes they have a lots of move options, but so does everyone else in the game.

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Well, in anycase that's my opinion on the subject matter it might not be how you see it but from what I've experienced and played against, the Mii's have a very nice moveset, that is, in my opinion, a very flexible playstyle.

But I don't want to start some kind of argument, so I'll leave it there.

Lmao Mii's aren't even broken lol
Also I'd just like to reiterate that I don't mean to say they are overpowered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom