• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flame Choke - Brawl VS Smash 4

Which Flame Choke do you like the most?

• Total voters

WwwWario

Smash Ace
So as you know, moveset-wise, Ganon wasn't changed much from Brawl (which is fine, I love his movest). He got buffs, sure, but the moves mostly work the same. His areal Flame Choke, though, is different.

In Brawl, Ganon wouldn't stop mid-air. He would simply grab his opponent and keep his momentum. This means that you could grab opponents and kind of "push" them forward. This way, you could Ganoncide opponents that were on-stage if they were close enough to the edge or high enough in the air.

In Smash 4, though, Ganon completely stops mid-air, loses his momentum, lifts them up, and slams them straight down. This means you can't grab opponents in the air on-stage and drag them forward off the stage like in Brawl. You can, however, drag them a good distance backwards as he grabs them, meaning you can easily drag them to their doom when you are recovering and they are edgeguarding, something you couldn't really do in Brawl.

You all know this, I'm sure. But what I want to know is: Which one do you like the most? Both which you think is most effective and which is cooler. Personally, I find the Smash 4 version to be better, as it becomes a lot easier to Ganoncide I feel, and safer to recover. And as for looks, I'm not really sure. The Smash 4 one looks brutal, as he simply stops and slams them straight down. The Brawl one, though, is also pretty fancy, as he just dashes forward, grabs them, and descend with speed as he slams them into the ground. So I'm a bit unsure of which one I like the most.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I am much more partial to the changes made to it in Smash 4. It is SO much easier to Ganoncide in this game without risking SDing as much either. Its also hilarious that Ganondorf goes straight up and then straight down like some bizarre cartoon character. I love it.

Though I miss others not being able to tech it.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I generally like the Smash 4 version of Flame Choke. It is MUCH easier to Ganoncide with it offstage due to how Ganondorf stops and rises when he grabs a foe. In addition, he no longer dies 1st when using it off stage. So, people aren't inclined to just take the choke in the air when it's 1-to-1 on stocks (as Brawl Flame Choke makes Ganondorf die 1st if he performs a Ganoncide).

I do dislike how people are able to tech the Flame Choke now. But still, I think I prefer Smash 4's version a bit more. Plus, it kinda does look a bit more brutal now. I mean, he rises with his opponent and puts all of his weight on them. That HAS to hurt.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
One thing I think is a big nerf that is sometimes overlooked is that choke no longer has grab armor. It's exceptionally easy to interrupt it. If it still had grab armor, Rosalina'd be a much better MU.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Nomatter how much it is buffed when it comes to speed, grab-box, and damage,
it was so, so nice when ppl wasn't able to Tech it back in Brawl. You were in 100% control once you landed a choke.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
They both have their ups and downs.

I feel like Brawl flame choke grounded has more distance coverage (or at least slides a bit more)
Also Brawl flame choke cannot be teched, which is good to land a down tilt kill at high percents.

But it's easier to land those clutch ganoncides in Smash 4, which is extremely important..

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
The air version of flame choke can't be teched, no? I feel like people don't really use that move outside of ganoncide.

Last edited:

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
The air version of flame choke can't be teched, no? I feel like people don't really use that move outside of ganoncide.
If I recall correctly when I was facing my brother he managed to tech my air flame choke. I was pretty surprised unless I saw what happened wrong, but he rolled right when I did the choke so... probably just very hard timing.

Another reason why smash 4 flame choke is better is because in brawl you die first or with enemy not after enemy while in smash 4 you die after your enemy.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Smash 4 choke is more useful overall, and it looks cooler the way Ganon bounces up a bit before slamming the opponent. The fear of Ganoncide and the fact that it wins you the game on an even stock helps you to get back on the stage.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
If I recall correctly when I was facing my brother he managed to tech my air flame choke. I was pretty surprised unless I saw what happened wrong, but he rolled right when I did the choke so... probably just very hard timing.

Another reason why smash 4 flame choke is better is because in brawl you die first or with enemy not after enemy while in smash 4 you die after your enemy.
Aerial Flame Choke used to be techable. But it was removed in 1.04 due to it making Aerial Flame Choke unsafe on hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom