• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flame Breath useful!

Sonork

Smash Cadet
I never see anyone talk about it it much or even use it effectively in videos. but I've had great success locking people into it and just racking up the damage from 30-70%. Seems especially useful in online play where a bit of lag can make it difficult to escape.

I use it 2 ways, after going into skirmishes with enimies back out and as they come at you just hold it down, it can catch a lot of people off guard if you haven't used it much that match.

Another way i found useful is jumping into a person or people and just let em have it, I usually follow it with a straight forward tilt punch if I'm able.

So much better then melee firebreath!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
agreed it's better. Slightly faster coming out, you can angle it, making it harder to DI up out of, and an still be used to edgeguard, retreat, etc.

I need to implement it better in my game though <_<

Zacke

Smash Cadet
Yay! Bowser is such a cool character, and I hated his Fire Breath in Melee. Is Bowser better this time, or is it just the Fire Breath?

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Yay! Bowser is such a cool character, and I hated his Fire Breath in Melee. Is Bowser better this time, or is it just the Fire Breath?
IMO He's a lot better than he was in melee. So much so that I'm not the only person in my local smash group who wants to play as him now :laugh:

And I love the new flame physics. Once I locked someone it it by aiming almost all the way up, and then stopped it and fsmashed them. They didn't pull out :laugh:

And One thing I want to try is jumping out near to the edge, then aiming the flame breath straight down, so it's sticking off the edge. I've done it before, but sometimes I jump to far...

Zacke

Smash Cadet
IMO He's a lot better than he was in melee. So much so that I'm not the only person in my local smash group who wants to play as him now :laugh:

And I love the new flame physics. Once I locked someone it it by aiming almost all the way up, and then stopped it and fsmashed them. They didn't pull out :laugh:
Sweet. Can't wait for Brawl, but Europe sucks. I'm buying a Freeloader instead.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
I agree with you guys, firebreath is a lot better. Bowser's firebreath in Melee was pretty terrible and had very limited uses, I'm glad it's improved ^-^

legendofme

Smash Journeyman

And One thing I want to try is jumping out near to the edge, then aiming the flame breath straight down, so it's sticking off the edge. I've done it before, but sometimes I jump to far...
Does it spike or has decent push back downwards?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
neither, it just stops them from grabbing the ledge, and on some stages can cause them to kill them selves (FD being one, because of the edges, and if they are holding to wards the stage they get caught under the lip)

It can also get them away from the ledge enough to auto hog, I think.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
neither, it just stops them from grabbing the ledge, and on some stages can cause them to kill them selves (FD being one, because of the edges, and if they are holding to wards the stage they get caught under the lip)

It can also get them away from the ledge enough to auto hog, I think.
Yeah, it doesn't spike sadly.

But from what I've tried, it still works well on the space animals. I tried it against my friend Fox on FD, and he just stuck in it for like 30%, then fell down like in Melee. Not as far mind you, but it was enough to get the kill.

However, at low enough percentages they can DI it towards you/upwards, and save themselves. But if your quick enough, you can stop it and go into an F-tilt/Usmash/Dsmash/Utilt, etc...

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Yeah, it doesn't spike sadly.

But from what I've tried, it still works well on the space animals. I tried it against my friend Fox on FD, and he just stuck in it for like 30%, then fell down like in Melee. Not as far mind you, but it was enough to get the kill.

However, at low enough percentages they can DI it towards you/upwards, and save themselves. But if your quick enough, you can stop it and go into an G-tilt/Usmash/Dsmash/Utilt, etc...
Exactly, SN3S, EXACTLY.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Exactly, SN3S, EXACTLY.
How the hell did you find me here? :p

Anyways, I used it in a few of the matches I played this morning, and it works well, but my spacing is horrible :laugh: I always start it up too close to them for it to be of any use.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I've found something interesting about Bowser's flame breath.

If you hit with the end of it, where the flame is largest, it can easily shield stab the opponent. The flame quickly eats away at the shield, and as soon as the slightest bit is exposed, the flame automatically hits them.

It can make shielding dangerous against Bowser simply because at long range he can get around it with the flame, and at close range you risk getting body pressed.

This also applies to Charizard.

Top Bottom