• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fixing Apex - sans cobr rage for better presentation

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
(note: this is something I wrote based on a bunch of notes I made during and after apex, and the main goal of this thread is to address the problems everyone had and try to get them fixed by next year. i'm hoping that these things have already been addressed behind the scenes, but the more things brought to the attention of staff, the better. also i figure ~12months is enough time for them to respond...)

I. The Pools Format

We’ve gone over and over the issue of bracket pools being used in place of round robin pools. We’ve weighed both the pros and the cons, but one of the main problems I had with bracket pools is the increased chance for players to compete against the same people twice, as evidenced by KeroKeroppi and Jam. I think this only happened once, though.

I also do not like the idea that uniformity should be the reason for all games to share bracket pools format. Again, this has been argued over, and we have a year to discuss it again, but this is a quote I found that I think sheds some new light on the situation.

“You guys can also blame me for Smash pools being brackets instead of round robin. Because I'm the guy who demanded that change as well.” – Jaxel, 8WR streamer. (http://smashboards.com/threads/why-is-brawl-not-being-streamed-this-apex.346155/#post-16223245)

Which is to say, why in the hell was this guy responsible for the changes, when his primary job is streaming? I find it sketchy that staff seemingly had to obey him or something, or couldn’t talk about it and refute his “demand”.

In terms of size, we also had 30-some odd person pools. Every other game was given 16 man pools – I believe it is much easier to run smaller brackets with promotions than it is to run four relatively large ones, and by that token, one gigantic bracket. Running smaller brackets also promotes diversity among competitors.

I was also sad that each bracket only had bo3s. The rules do say that GF, WF, LF, LS, WS, LQ and 5th Place Tiebreaker are bo5s – but that’s only for the top8. In any case, 5th place tiebreaker was not played, and the first round of loser’s (which was not LQ, as shown by the top8 bracket) was bo5 as well.

At the very least, I don’t think there should be an issue with allowing WF and LF to have bo5s in bracket pools; ideally, it would include semis as well, but if we’re pressed for time, perhaps only the finals should be prioritized.

This brings me to the problem of time.

II. Time and Scheduling

I said before that time would be an issue if we started late and people didn’t play their matches. Lo and behold, we started an hour late, and because of the bad setup of the venue, it was extremely difficult to get players to the TO tables to find their matches.

We were told that the schedule is final and nothing would change, yet PM proceeded to be bumped up six hours to compensate for their quintuple cap raise.

64, on the other hand, was not given any additional time at all.

The problem, then, became apparent when we were holding up brackets because of non-hype matches being played on stream, people leaving without notifying TO’s, people being unable to hear their names being called over three loudspeakers and microphones and hundreds of music stages and shouts.

This resulted in something that should never happen, in my opinion – which was the match between Star King and Wizzrobe for top8 being played out at 9am the next morning. When staff came by and told us to clear all of our stuff out, a lot of people still had matches to play, and went ahead and rushed through them – Banze and Kefit, Jam and Nintendude, and Star King and Firo all come to mind. I was trying to get everyone to play on time so that we wouldn’t have matches left over. It is the organizers’ jobs to delegate enough time to an event to account for lateness and brackets being held up, and that did not happen.

Further, staff should have mandated the top8 match to be played that night while they were cleaning up, with one TO present. It is grossly unfair to other players who were not able to delay their matches or simply didn’t wish to, and I believe both players will go cold after not playing for a few hours. It should also be noted that, at large smash events, practically nobody sleeps until the late hours of the morning because of the sheer amount of hotel fests going on. Leaving an incredibly important match until the morning is unfair to the other participants, and staff did nothing to remedy this situation.

Of course, blame can also be applied to multiple players. We need to figure out a system that is more reliable than shouting on loudspeakers to play matches, and we need to have more time to run our event.

It simply is not fair that 64 was given 6 fewer hours to complete our tournament than the other games (one could argue that we were given a whole less day, but it’s understandable).

Our stream was cut off, as well; I really don’t understand why we could not have been slated to start at 2pm. We started late anyway because of problems with brackets and last minute changes.

EDIT: Here is a post (http://smashboards.com/threads/re-apex-feedback.347397/#post-16294914) that surprised me quite a bit. Why in god's name was Melee Doubles allowed to continue until 2 in the morning, but 64 was being ushered out at midnight? And why weren't the matches that were happening from 12-2 in Melee rescheduled to the next day?

III. Day Two

Day two was a lackluster event for many people.

The biggest problem I and many others had – participants in top8 and spectators alike – was the fact that it was held at 10 in the morning.

For comparison, here’s this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/what...g-streamed-at-10am-and-12-on-saturday.345967/

The above thread highlights the fact that games with less than half the entrants of 64 were given better stream time and event time despite not pulling in as many viewers and not being as important. Before you jump down my throat for that, allow me to explain: Apex is THE premiere smash tournament. Melee finals were held at the prime spot of 5 or 6pm on Sunday and Brawl was held beforehand, also in the afternoon. PM finals started at 1pm, I believe, and the only other smash game remaining is 64 – which started at 10 in the morning, which means everyone had to be present by 9:45ish to get a decent seat.

As a spectator, it was awful having to wake up at an ungodly hour and go sit through sleepy smash. I have asked those who competed in the top8 and they have expressed their distaste at doing so – there’s very little warmup time and often people don’t get enough sleep, as mentioned in the preceding paragraph. I don’t think anyone wants to play their most important matches of the tournament in a half asleep, dazed state. People in general are often more sluggish in the morning with lowered reaction times and more disinterest in things.

Holding the top8 at an unreasonable hour leads to a diminished performance from the top players. This is not saying the outcomes would change, necessarily, but that the performances would be better, and the players would feel better about their performances.

We were also told that the entire left wall of the venue would have 64 setups on it all day, and there were zero. We then had to move everything to the small parlor room down the hall, only to have half of the people move next door to a larger room, albeit with fewer outlets. To make matters worse, the venue decided to shut both rooms down at 3am, despite us being told that we could stay there as long as we wanted. When we moved to the Mirabelle room, again after being told it was 24 hours, we were met with a condition – if we’re too loud, we’re kicked out.

This leads into problems with the venue.

IV. Venue Issues

I do not think many people enjoyed the way the venue was setup initially. Space was a huge issue in terms of sitting and walking. We were constantly told that we were causing a fire hazard by crowding the “aisles”. I was wondering why the parlor rooms weren’t used for bracket pools for the other games, as there certainly seemed to be enough; same with the Mirabelle room – it could have been used to centralize players who had to play in bracket and breeze through them; i.e., locate all the players in W1P1 and tell them to move to the Mirabelle room, wherein they would play through their bracket with a TO. This is of course just a suggestion, but I didn’t see much organization besides screaming into a microphone.

There was a massive problem with parking – there just wasn’t enough of it. The lot outside of the hotel filled up extremely quickly, and we were not given any prior information on what to do if that happened. It seems that staff did not accurately account for over 1200 unique people coming to the venue, and I had to scout out chain-ace to find out where I could park where I would not be towed or receive a ticket. It would have helped greatly if, ahead of time, staff had informed us that the other lots were alright to park in provided there were no signs saying otherwise.

V. Game-based changes and Misc.

I think there are multiple points of contention now that Apex has passed, including the reevaluation of Hyrule as a legal stage, the institution of outside factors such as timers and TO’s willing to examine and enforce the stalling rule, and even perhaps devising new a ruleset (something like Firo’s, for instance).

I think we can brush up on our commentary as a community and I plan on making a thread in the future that will get everyone’s feedback and advice, and hopefully we’ll be able to deliver.

I would appreciate it if any changes that happen are discussed with the community and not expressed in an iron-fist manner or presented in such a way that makes them completely final and closed to discussion. This leads to heavy backlash from the community and generally makes those in power appear less than admirable.

I would also appreciate it if anyone else has concerns and can voice them so we can strive to make next Apex a more incredible experience. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the weekend and it was perhaps the best smash time I’ve had, but there are certainly changes that can be made and problems that can be fixed to make things run better and smoother.

Statements by Other Players in this Thread (paraphrased instead of quoted to save space):
Numbered setups
Collect phone numbers from people to alert them as to when they need to play their matches?
Separate rooms for ease of brackets
A later start time for finals (3pm or later is ideal)
Be very clear on stream display as to who is who via controller ports/colors/etc.
Player nametags
Better communication between staff and community

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
Number setups and tell players which setup to go to for their matches.
When I was told to go play someone at Apex that I'd never heard of before my options were to go around yelling their name or go ask the TO to nag them to show up. Why.
Also, this might sound dumb, but I think collecting phone numbers from everyone would help it go a LOT smoother.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
We should've just been in the big parlor room from the start. From there, we could've played all the "less hype" matches without it being so crowded and noisy. All the "hype" matches could've been sent to stream in the other room or ideally, we could've had a stream setup in the parlor room all to ourselves.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Most important thing imo is the finals time. If they can guarantee a 3pm+ start time for top 8 next yea then we should all promise to shut up about the rest of the things. O people should start training at 8am.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Streaming is important by this point, correct? I'll ask for only one thing that I believe everyone will agree:

- we need to know who's who before the match begins.

I find it unbelievable how every single smash tournament has this problem. Am I crazy to think this shouldn't happen at all at tournaments like Apex?
But what could we do? Make the commentators check their ports? Make the players come tell the commentators their ports? Pre-assign ports for players? Berate the stream guy? I have no idea how to fix this, but it has to be fixed.

Here's how it should be: one should be able to tune in at the match at any time and know who's who.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Maybe when they go to the stream setup they should tell their names and control port to the streamer. The streamer then types the names above the Player cam and tell's the commentators which player is P1 and so on. I thought KnitePhox did a good job at Streaming and making sure people knew who's who.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
CAM : PORT : PLAYER

yup
This is the "how to transmit the information" part. Most of the time the problem is how to acquire the information.

And a suggestion: the brackets were released prior to the tournament. So why not print them out and leave them in the commentator's setup? Though If I were commentating I'd bring those myself. I doubt they'd be handed out to me.

Sedda

Smash Champion
.[/quote]
We were constantly told that we were causing a fire hazard by crowding the “aisles”. I was wondering why the parlor rooms weren’t used for bracket pools for the other games, as there certainly seemed to be enough.
I guess this is a good example to show the kinda **** Strife has to worry about..

Im not exactly sure where I heard this, but it was on one of the Melee podcasts.

There was another venue nearby where Apex staff planned to host the tourney, but it was too expensive. That's why it ended up being hosted at that hotel.

Apparently, since that other venue is the hotel's biggest competition within that area (or something like that), the people of the other venue have tried some sketchy stuff against the hotel every time that it is favoured over their venue for big events. One of the things they've done in the past is snitch about fire hazard rules being broken, resulting in entire events being cancelled on the spot by firefighters.

I didn't go to Apex, so I feel like this isn't my place to defend them, but your point of view is obviously coming directly within the 64 event, and there are other things that the Apex organizers have to think about to make sure that things get done properly. I can't begin to imagine the stress that they must've endured.

I think that you're still fighting a fight that you're not going to win with the RR pools stuff. If Jaxel had as big of an impact as he apparently had making that decision, you should read the rest of what he posted on that thread and get a sense of where he's coming from. As a streamer, you have certain expectations. As a player, you have other expectations. As the organizer for the whole event, you have to sit through a bunch of people who feel a bit too important telling you their polar opposite opinions and dump all that **** on you. Eventually, the organizers get completely overwhelmed and make a final decision that nobody is going to like 100%.

You can SUGGEST RR pools all you want, but demanding RR pools ( and I say "demanded" based on the way you've asked for them) is VERY unfair imo.

Last edited:

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
I'll just say that Melee and Brawl both had numbered setups. 64 did not have this. I believe if 64 had its own room for the entire event, like we did for casuals/teams on day 2 and 3, it would have worked out a little better. It sacrifices spectators that did do not play 64, but they were being a fire hazard according to the fire marshal and the staff.

Also the morning time slot was not too great for the top 8. You could say it is the players' fault for staying up so late, but with an event so huge, most people's hotel rooms became smashfests until early in the morning.

If we started brackets a bit earlier(like 2 instead of 5. 4 was the official time but we started late, like most all smash events.) we would not have had as much of an issue in running out of time. Wizzrobe vs firo was played quite late, and the staff's decision to push back SK vs Wizzy was a little biased towards Wizzy imo, though I do understand them being so pressed for time.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I had almost nothing to complain about at Apex. Yes, there were some complications, but that is always going to happen when hosting such a massive event. All things considered, I think it ran pretty smoothly with minimal problems. Definitely want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who hosted Apex and helped run it, as their gargantuan efforts are often unappreciated.

The only real "problem" I had was that I didn't know what anyone looked like. Couldn't match a face to a name. This made it hard to find my opponents and caused delays. It was also weird when I didn't know whether I was challenging, say, tacos or some random noob to a friendly. At one point I started asking random people for friendlies and ended up playing Zenyore lol.

Simple solution: have people's names (tags) on their Apex lanyards/badges. Yes that would add some time to the check-in process, but if you have the badges set up alphabetically it can't be that hard for a player to go to the "A-C" section of the table and find their own nametag. This is what pretty much all other large events do when they need to keep track of people. Would also help Smashers get to know each other better, which improves the community. Like if I came in wanting to play/meet Dexter I could just look for the person whose nametag said Dexter rather than wandering blindly with no hope of ever meeting him.

I think this easy-to-implement solution would go a long way so that is my only suggestion.

Other than that, great weekend!

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Apex was AMAZING!

but that said it would really be nice to have better communication between the staff and the sixty four community. we were told friday night that we would have space all day on saturday in the main room, but that was changed without notice and the area was taken over by P:M. some people (me) lost setups as a result. we were told twice on saturday that we would be able to keep our parlor room for the rest of the night, but were then forced to move. It's a pretty small thing in an amazing tournament, and I'm sure there were goods reasons, but some more consistent messages would be nice.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Wizzrobe vs. SK was pushed until Saturday because Wizzy said he felt so sick he was incapable of playing. Since it was the last pools match, we then offered to have him play it at 9am the next day as long as SK agreed to it. SK was not obligated to agree to that, but he did and that's what happened.

We also tried numbered setups last year, but from my experience numbered setups doesn't work unless you have smaller pools and you can tell people from the same pool to gather around those numbers. Otherwise it's too confusing and generally not worth it. I think staff has learned from their mistakes and will be doing smaller pools next year, so using numbered setups won't be a problem.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
And a suggestion: the brackets were released prior to the tournament. So why not print them out and leave them in the commentator's setup? Though If I were commentating I'd bring those myself. I doubt they'd be handed out to me.
they tried to print them, but they couldn't find large enough paper

Apparently, since that other venue is the hotel's biggest competition within that area (or something like that), the people of the other venue have tried some sketchy stuff against the hotel every time that it is favoured over their venue for big events. One of the things they've done in the past is snitch about fire hazard rules being broken, resulting in entire events being cancelled on the spot by firefighters.
obviously people are assholes and would stoop low enough to do that to take down their competition, BUT i think the general setup could be more fluid and allow spectators to watch while not crowding things. it was very frustrating to continually hear "you need to move" during the ****ing 64 finals. like, to the point where i wanted to kick that asian guy with the dumb hair in the face. real talk though, he and whoever else who kept screaming for people to move, should have gone over to the people who were crowding things and told them to move. it doesn't help that they put the projector all the way off to one side and all the chairs off to the left, so everyone had to watch on a slant, if at all. again, it's how you organize it.

You can SUGGEST RR pools all you want, but demanding RR pools ( and I say "demanded" based on the way you've asked for them) is VERY unfair imo.
i didn't have anything demanding about RR pools in this thread. i'm fine with bracket pools now merely because i've acknowledged they aren't going to change their minds about it, but I think we can find a better way to run bracket pools - notably, reducing the size of each pool, and even having bo5 sets within.

Simple solution: have people's names (tags) on their Apex lanyards/badges. Yes that would add some time to the check-in process, but if you have the badges set up alphabetically it can't be that hard for a player to go to the "A-C" section of the table and find their own nametag. This is what pretty much all other large events do when they need to keep track of people. Would also help Smashers get to know each other better, which improves the community. Like if I came in wanting to play/meet Dexter I could just look for the person whose nametag said Dexter rather than wandering blindly with no hope of ever meeting him.
this was present at apex2012 but i presume the budget is tight and they can't make 1200 name tags. i have some from smashacres and i think if you can make your own little slip thing that would be great to put in the lanyard.

we were told friday night that we would have space all day on saturday in the main room, but that was changed without notice and the area was taken over by P:M. some people (me) lost setups as a result. we were told twice on saturday that we would be able to keep our parlor room for the rest of the night, but were then forced to move.
this was, for me, the most frustrating thing - the fact that we were told one thing and then not notified when staff changed their minds, or else in the case of parlor rooms notified extremely late and were rushed out.

Wizzrobe vs. SK was pushed until Saturday because Wizzy said he felt so sick he was incapable of playing. Since it was the last pools match, we then offered to have him play it at 9am the next day as long as SK agreed to it. SK was not obligated to agree to that, but he did and that's what happened.

We also tried numbered setups last year, but from my experience numbered setups doesn't work unless you have smaller pools and you can tell people from the same pool to gather around those numbers. Otherwise it's too confusing and generally not worth it. I think staff has learned from their mistakes and will be doing smaller pools next year, so using numbered setups won't be a problem.
i've already addressed the first part: it should not have come to that in the first place. there should not have been an option to play the next day. that can set a bad precedent in that later bracket matches could purposely be put off until the morning, or even later as it stands.

also this is kind of a well known thing but, i don't think anyone should be allowed to leave once they start a set. i've seen it happen before and it can be a momentum killer; once you sit down, you should have to play through the entire thing.

but i am glad to hear the last part of your post, mike, in that we're hopefully going to receive smaller pools.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
There were some serious issues with the stream/staff coordination for 64. It wasn't explained to us who was allowed to play on stream or how to get on stream. You had to actually ask Jaxel and he just had you write you and your opponent down and eventually called you up. Occasionally TO's would tell players to play their match on stream if it was a good match, but otherwise you could just go up and enter your match for stream. Then eventually, matches started to run thin on stream as the list dwindled from 4 matches deep to none, mostly because I think players didn't know how to get on stream or that they were allowed to just do it themselves. I know Jaxel was asking people to get matches for the stream at one point, which should never, ever, happen. That's why some non-hype matches ended up on stream, because someone has to be playing on there at all times. Just the whole stream process could have been explained/organized better. One thing that probably made this difficult was that the stream was far away from the rest of 64, so communication was tough.

Blank sticky nametags would be so cheap if we just got them for the 64 section since Apex doesn't seem to have the budget.

A note for all players as opposed to staff: Play your ****ing matches. Too many players are not proactive in getting their matches played. A couple of examples would be Kefit saying "they haven't called my name yet" apparently unaware that when they called your name it was the last resort if they couldn't find you. And Boom running around with no idea who he had to play when he could have easily found that out. And those were only ones I noticed when I wasn't playing or commentating, I'm sure many others were like this so don't feel like I'm picking on Kefit or Boom here. After every match, you should check the bracket to see who your next opponent is, and then find them. Players should never be unaware of who they play next, it holds up the bracket. If we want nice things like RR pools, know who you're playing and play your ****ing matches on your own so we get things done faster.

Sangoku

Smash Master
10am steam was best, don't change it.

Concerning who's who: establish a convention. Alphabetical order corresponding to port number.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Dude you won't stop with the Star King Wizzrobe thing will you?

Can't that just be the end of it LOL

Edit: Can people stop bringing up that the venue was crowded? They didn't expect all of these people of course they are getting a bigger venue next year

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Dude you won't stop with the Star King Wizzrobe thing will you?

Can't that just be the end of it LOL

Edit: Can people stop bringing up that the venue was crowded? They didn't expect all of these people of course they are getting a bigger venue next year
Apex staff would be completely incompetent to run a tournament if they did not expect that many people to come if they had people pre-register.

this was present at apex2012 but i presume the budget is tight and they can't make 1200 name tags. i have some from smashacres and i think if you can make your own little slip thing that would be great to put in the lanyard.
The solution is having smashers print their name tags at home. (It's 2014, so I hope at least everyone has a printer at home or at the very least live close to society where they have a printer.) Apex can provide the lanyards.

Zeds

Smash Apprentice
The solution is having smashers print their name tags at home. (It's 2014, so I hope at least everyone has a printer at home or at the very least live close to society where they have a printer.) Apex can provide the lanyards.
or take the summer camp route and bring sum sharpies and small pieces of bark that people can write their names on. hey, it's like build-a-bear but with no girls. ever. http://www.etsy.com/listing/158642602/rustic-wood-disc-tree-slices-150-cherry?ref=market

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
lawn chair: it's not just a "sk wizzrobe thing". i'd have the same complaint if it were jam/kero or banze/kefit or tacos/dexter. it's a legit point. stop riding **** and maybe you'll understand it.

also yes, i'm in complete agreement with finding players either by asking around or searching for nametags or something like that.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
A note for all players as opposed to staff: Play your ****ing matches. Too many players are not proactive in getting their matches played. A couple of examples would be Kefit saying "they haven't called my name yet" apparently unaware that when they called your name it was the last resort if they couldn't find you. And Boom running around with no idea who he had to play when he could have easily found that out. And those were only ones I noticed when I wasn't playing or commentating, I'm sure many others were like this so don't feel like I'm picking on Kefit or Boom here. After every match, you should check the bracket to see who your next opponent is, and then find them. Players should never be unaware of who they play next, it holds up the bracket. If we want nice things like RR pools, know who you're playing and play your ****ing matches on your own so we get things done faster.
A couple reasons why I was running around with no clue what was happening:
I got called to stream and to TO desk. When I got there, no one knew why I was called, so I would wait for a little bit and leave.
Bracket confusion as well. I kept being told to play Star King AND Meta(mostly sk) at the same time wtf, so I would actively try to seek these people out.
The wait time for being on stream was a mess, after a while jaxal just told us to hop on when we talked to him, ignoring the fact that other players were in line lol.

Anyway, I was really confused on what to do cause I was told like 5-6 different things to do for the same thing.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I was told to play that set on stream and we had to wait for like 3 stream sets first. Not really either of our faults.

Battlecow

Play to Win
The powerful johns from SK

10 AM is legit but if there are no friendly TV's to warm up on that's illegit

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
there were no 64 setups saturday morning, bcow, even though we were told the entire wall would have them and we'd be able to play there all day

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I think there were two major problems with the SSB64 portion of Apex.

First, the venue quite simply wasn't large enough for this event. The fire hazard thing is no joke; go read up on human crush events if you want an idea of what would have probably happened in that room if a fire broke out. Simply existing in the main tournament room was incredibly unpleasant, and I was extremely relieved when we got out of there for good on Saturday. Unfortunately splitting the tournaments off into other rooms probably isn't an option because so many players enter into multiple events. I really hope that Alex is looking into a larger venue for next year, because this place simply was not sufficient - especially since we can expect the next Apex to be even larger!

The other main problem with the tournament is that SSB64 was an incredibly low priority for the tournament organizers. On Friday all our setups were smashed into a small corner of the room. We were not given enough time to complete our pools, and there were no plans for maintaining the stream if we ran late - despite the fact that late matches are probably late in the bracket, and therefore the kinds of things that we really want to be streaming! Our top 8 was jammed into the least desirable timeslot possible, indicating that all other events had higher priority for desirable times. Why couldn't we have done it in the afternoon on Saturday? We want our top players playing at their best, and that couldn't and didn't happen. Beyond that, the tournament staff grossly under accomodated our top 8. We had nowhere near enough room for the audience. We had absolutely no announcement that our top 8 was happening, or of what players were facing off, or of anything else that could have built up hype for the high level play off taking place. Why did this happen? We got way more excitement built up for the top 4 at 2013, and I'm pretty sure we had a lot more audience space there too (this may tie into my point about venue size, above).

And don't even get me started on the Melee/Brawl tournament staff who were yelling into their mics, resulting in immense discomfort for the SSB64 audience and commentators. At one point I saw JimmyJoe get up from commentating and complain to Nintendude about this, and Nintendude responded by shrugging and walking off.

Great guys, glad to know you care about us! (not hating on you Nintendude, I understand you were probably quite stressed at the time and more communication may have taken place than I witnessed, but nonetheless I think this situation is illustrative)

I probably sound a bit more petulant here than I want, but I think it's necessary to get my point across - if Apex wants to accommodate a 150+ player SSB64 event (and they should, they get our money and it's good for the community) then they need to put in the resources and prioritization to make it a success. Minor logistical improvements to the running of the event (numbered setups, etc) are ultimately going to be meaningless if the SSB64 event does not reach a position of some importance in the mental space of the Apex head staff.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Can we get TOs that dont compete in other events? Is that why did pools started later than scheduled?

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
^^^ that's a good point. A tourney this big should not have the TOs dual act as participants, especially other events than the tourney they are running, and especially if they run concurrently.

We should have started brackets on friday earlier and finals on saturday later. Fire hazard was annoying. Multiple people shouting through different mics was also frustrating.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
And don't even get me started on the Melee/Brawl tournament staff who were yelling into their mics, resulting in immense discomfort for the SSB64 audience and commentators. At one point I saw JimmyJoe get up from commentating and complain to Nintendude about this, and Nintendude responded by shrugging and walking off.

Great guys, glad to know you care about us! (not hating on you Nintendude, I understand you were probably quite stressed at the time and more communication may have taken place than I witnessed, but nonetheless I think this situation is illustrative)
As soon as I heard about the issue I immediately found strife and cristin and asked them to talk to the technical staff running the sound system to address the problem. So I guess the "shrug" was acknowledgement of the issue and the "walking off" was me immediately finding the correct person to talk to. Though the issue was brought up to me more than once so my shrug might have been a "I already told them about it and I have no control over it at this point"

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the clarification Nintendude, and thanks for the efforts you put in attempting to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, the main take away is still that the problem was not actually resolved in any manner by Apex staff. This was a major issue that was ruining our top 8, and the Apex decision makers decided it wasn't worth addressing. As Karajan hints above, it wasn't resolved until Karajan himself (I think) took matters into his own hands, ran up to the speaker setup from his spot in the audience, and turned them down manually.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
and then the photographer was like "uhh you know they're changing them right, so you have to go change that back...like right no" and steve just walked away. and the guy didn't know what to do. mejor.

Top Bottom