• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fix for consistent lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I started playing online a few days ago, and what I noticed right off the bat was that my game would slow down to 45 FPS from 60 in 2 or 3 stocks worth of time on nearly every game that I would play. The people I played against reacted as if this was an abnormally high rate of lag, and I was wondering if there was any way to fix or reduce the consistency of the lag. I'm playing on Comcast internet using a wi-fi router on Windows 7 64 bit if that matters at all.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Close external programs, especially downloaders and ones that connect to the internet (Sony Vegas Platinum was an annoyance to me). I've had iTunes mess up my kaillera fps before, and fullscreen games are out of the question. Stuff like MSN/AIM/IRC is usually ok.

Alternatively, try P2P. Directions in the smash index.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I just tested it out offline, and the lag seems to have to do with the fact that I made the game 800x600 instead of the default size. Once I put it back to 640x480, the lag seemed to have stopped. I'll have to test it out online tomorrow.

dandan

Smash Lord
any details about your computer's specs, because running the game at 800x600 should be trivial from even remotely modern pcs.
also, what plugins are you using in pj64?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I assure you my specs are not the problem. I have 4 gigs of RAM, i5 processor and a 1 gig graphics card. I'm using the default plugins except for the audio one which I changed to try to alleviate the choppy music. They were all on the dropdown list of the plugins that come with the program.

Edit: I just tested it online and it seems to be good. Most games run anywhere from 55 to 59 FPS which I'll assume is normal. I just don't know why the resolution affected it so much.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
You should generally be getting a constant 60fps. If it's dropping below that often I think you still have problems =/.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I thought it might be the wifi too, but why would he lag offline?

I have a way worse computer and I can run it at 1024*768 without any problem.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I use wi-fi and am lag-free, so I believe the variable lies elsewhere. As a quick question, are you trying to play while other people in your house are using the net, it's the cause of most of my lag.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I use wi-fi and am lag-free, so I believe the variable lies elsewhere. As a quick question, are you trying to play while other people in your house are using the net, it's the cause of most of my lag.
wifi is definitely worse than wired. You might just have really good wifi

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Agreed it's definitely worse, but I don't believe you can know for sure it's the problem 100%. Maybe if he ran a test and tried wired somehow to see if it lagged then, we'd know for sure.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I can try wired when I get home today. I still don't get why it would only run well at 640 though.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I just tried my wired connection and it still hovered around 57. I guess I'll just deal with it or stop playing. I don't like playing with my PS3 controller anyway.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I'm using Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6. It's the one it comes with and it's in the dropdown 3 times for some reason.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I installed it into my emu and things seemed to run smoother at least offline. Does it still work if I'm not hosting the game though? I just played a guy who said it was his first time online, no character code or anything and it went back to 640 resolution (it defaulted to 800 when I switched to glide) and it went back to the same 57ish FPS I was getting before.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
In the plugins folder you need to rename your Glide64.dll to Jabo_Direct3D7.dll inorder for it to work online. Project64k resets to the default graphics plugin when going online(Jabo_Direct3D7), so get around that you need to rename the .dll file.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I tested my game with 3 different people after renaming the plugin and it ran at a smooth 60 FPS for the entirety of the matches. Thanks for the help everyone. Mod close por favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom