• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Five stages of grief over the roster

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
So many of us were dissapointed of the roster, I was VERY dissapointed myself, but I've come to terms with it, specially because Wolf is not a clone (except for the Landmaster...), and I've come to like him. Through the process of acceptance I noticed I went through some stages, I'm posting them for those of you that are still fighting it:

1. Denial: We all went through it, when the 35 roster was first posted. We all came up with reasons why it was a fake, ROB not being able to be playable, too small. You name it. Still, there were some of us that actually liked it from the beggining, the lucky ones that were not dissapointed, I envy them. I particularly was in denial still after Marth was revealed and he was in the spot he was supposed to be... I was a fool.

2. Hope (blind): After some more characters were confirmed I was still thinking that the last character could be other character and that would debunk the 35 roster... it all came to an end when Wolf was condirmed.

3. Anger: Who didn't got angry and insulted Sakurai? I know I did. I thought that he was being unfair, and that he didn't listened to the fans by not putting everyone from the polls. Here is an example of my anger stage: He said no clones... right?. After I watched some more videos I realized they are not that similar, so some of those are partial clones. The key to overcome this stage is to calm down a bit and stop to think on everything you said, is it true?

4. Depression: After all of this I was not "depressed" but I was thinking of not playing Brawl at all... Silly right? I thought that if I couldn't play as Geno, I wouldn't play at all. Then I remembered all those newcomers I was interested in. All those character I haven't tried and could be great (such as Metaknight, Lucas, etc...). That was like the LOW, why would I prive myself of Brawl just because one character was not in?

5. Acceptance: This is where you want to be, accept that the roster does not include you favorite character, but the game is still good. Hopefully you can get re-hyped about the game, and now you won´t be dissapointed since you already know what you're up against ;)

There, I hope this helps :p, if you've already accepted the roster you can post your experiences, or if you haven't accepted it you can post the stage you're in and you might find some help here. Or even if you think this is silly, post anyway and tell me why :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow, that pretty much nails what I went through for the past 3 days...

Very accurately really..

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Change 4 to disapproval, and change 5 to "just shrugging it off". I still don't approve of it, they messed up, but whats done is done.

I liked it from the beginning sooooo....

IN YOUR FACES!!!! WOOOOOO

Yeah well, they could have f**ked up ten times worse, and people still would have deluded themselves into thinking the roster is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This isn't some game, with the goal of being the most politically correct. :laugh:

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I actually Have had no problem with it anyway...I was amazed to see Lucario in, C. Falcon was a Given as with Luigi and jiggly... Wolf is in fact not a clone (the last character you earn; I may main him) Overall I am pleased with it, after all "take what your getting....."
"And give nothing Back!"

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
1st: Yes. A lot. I denied it vehemently.

2nd: Hope? a small amount, but after Marth, I realized that it was real.

3rd: I was angry for a bit, but I was not for long.

4th: Depressed. Sort of. Then I thought about it. Sure I missed out on Ganon having a good moveset. That was the real blow to me. Then I realized that there was so much more!

5: Acceptance. Yeah. I have reached this stage. I am doing my normal tactic of not addressing the problem, and thinking instead how great everything else will be. But I think I have gotten to acceptance. I cannot deny, have hope, or even be angry. I can be slightly sad that we still have some clones, so I would say I am a mix of depression and Acceptance.

Thank you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I went from 1 to 5 directly.

My denial was I was convinced that there should have been more than just two third party characters, such as Sora and Mega Man/Ryu. I didn't think ROB was real because he wasn't particularly popular.

However looking at the roster, it is overall pretty solid. Despite having a few clones, there is still overall quite a lot of variety, even more than there was in Melee.

I'm totally happy with the roster actually. Because after all, I'm probably one of few people who firmly believed Geno was a poor option for Brawl and would never make it as a playable character. It's a triumph of my own instincts really. =)

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
The people bashing the topic and those supporting it aren't getting it, and they never will get it. Know why? Because their arguements are not fact, reason, encouragement, or even comfort. They are INSULTS! Most people who disagree withe the topic are being rude jerks who's arguement goes like this:

Topic Supporter - "I dissaprove of them making two characters based off Fox."
Disagreer - "Krystal sucks, you ungrateful furry.
Topic Supporter - "They had 3 years, 100+ people team, two delays and a wide variety of characters to choose from."
Disagreer - "Which proves they worked, you whiny child."
Topic Supporter - "They had polls and character requests, where ones like Geno, Ridley and Krystal scored very high."
Disagreer - "Haha, those characters are stupid, and you're stupid for liking them."
Topic Supporter - "They had enough time to make original characters rather than clones and semi-clones."
Disagreer - "Wolf's Forward B makes him go up a little, therefore, he's not a clone and you're a drone."

I say to heck with trying to argue with these troll boys! They aren't going to listen to reason or debate! This is like trying to explain to a toddler in Toys 'R Us why he cannot have that toy; he won't listen, he just wants what he wants.

I am so dissapointed with the roster, I kept trying to tell myself it wasn't true. 3 years, character suggestion polls, the -creator's- character list, 100+ man team (most of which were Melee fans), wide variety of characters, saying they'll include more female characters and more 3rd party charcters, a two month delay, and fans who have waited almost 6 years for this game...

And we get 6 clones/semi-clones, a limited 35 characters, and few from the top of the most wanted list. Seriously, it's like a slapdash roof on top of a great-looking house. The worst part is, you got people who think it's the greatest roof there is, and will fervently insult anyone who says otherwise.

Save your breath on the children who won't listen to reason. We know why the roster is bad, let them feel like they're superior because they can insult people on the internet.
Quoted for truth.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
1. Denial: We all went through it, when the 35 roster was first posted. We all came up with reasons why it was a fake, ROB not being able to be playable, too small. You name it.
And I still stand by what I said back then, that Nintendo apparently doesn't know what the people want.

They could've easily gone from a crap roster to an awesome roster with only a few changes:

1. Change Wolf for Ridley
2. Change Robot for Megaman
3. Change Toon Link for Mewtwo

I can assure you, most people would have loved that roster.

On a side note, they probably revealed too many cool newcomers from the start. If Pokemon Trainer or Olimar were kept unlockables, we would've been happy as well.

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
lol, I remember these stages of grief from health science class.

=]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And I still stand by what I said back then, that Nintendo apparently doesn't know what the people want.

They could've easily gone from a crap roster to an awesome roster with only a few changes:

On a side note, they probably revealed too many cool newcomers from the start. If Pokemon Trainer or Olimar were kept unlockables, we would've been happy as well.
That's just bullocks. Nintendo couldn't possibly make a truly "awesome" roster. Someone is always going to disagree with it. The roster only sucks to you because it doesn't have every last thing YOU wanted. Deal with it.

The roster is actually good, no matter how you look at it. The only thing that is even remotely bad about it is that Mewtwo didn't return I guess. Anyone who says the roster is bad is quite frankly taking it much too seriously and letting fan obsessions impede over logical analysis of the game.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
1. Denial: Yep, I was in this for a while
2. Hope (blind): Eh, I skimmed over this one.
3. Anger: I was a little mad, but mostly at myself for getting my expectations too high and assuming certain characters were in. I never ever blamed Sakurai, hey, at least we got more than Melee right?
4. Depression: This kicked in for about one day. I was so disappointed mewtwo was gone.
5. Acceptance: I reached this stage fortunately.
I only got one character on my list, Wolf. And he was the last. However in retrospect, if there were TOO many characters, the game would have been IMPOSSIBLE to balence.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
That's just bullocks. Nintendo couldn't possibly make a truly "awesome" roster. Someone is always going to disagree with it. The roster only sucks to you because it doesn't have every last thing YOU wanted. Deal with it.

The roster is actually good, no matter how you look at it. The only thing that is even remotely bad about it is that Mewtwo didn't return I guess. Anyone who says the roster is bad is quite frankly taking it much too seriously and letting fan obsessions impede over logical analysis of the game.
I think that the reason so many people are dissapointed is because the Dojo gave away too much. I Sakurai had updated just once with the starting roster before release people would have been much happier.

Hype is good for a game to sell, but if you have too much of it and extend it by delaying the game, people will ultimately be dissapointed.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I'm still in the hope stage is there something wrong w/ me?
maybe theres another character still to unlock.... 35+.... denial..... though the disk ripping is pretty hard evidence...

I felt anger/disappointment, but maybe I am in the acceptance stage a bit now after watching the many awesome gameplay vids and thinking of the cool characters we already have.

OK I am in the acceptance stage but I'm still hoping for more characters somehow. (denial?)

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I'm dumbfounded at all these people disappointed with the roster and people even saying that they'd rather it be delayed as far as December to get the few extra characters in that they want.

The most important thing that concerns me is that the characters are balanced, that someone can pick up any character and find out that it was a waste of time later when they find out that their choice simply has too many weaknesses and not enough strengths when it's time for tournaments. If we want to be playing this game as long as people played Melee, this is more important than adding a few more fan favorites to the roster.

Seriously though, some people believe that simply because they've spent all this time and energy drooling over the game as it was being made that they have some stock in how the roster turns out. The game is already about catering to fans much more than nearly all other games out there. You guys just take it way too far.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
It's not "quoted for truth", it's quoted for bitterness. RIDLEY IS TOO ****ED HUGE TO BE IN THE GAME. I have spent about 3 hours Googling pictures of Ridley vs Samus, and Ridley is god****ed humongous. Even in Metroid Prime, his Meta Ridley form is GOD****ED BIG. A resizing would be a disappointment and an insult, and clearly would be misrepresentative. The only instance where Ridley has appeared as a smash-sized character is in Melee's opening sequence! Get over your ****ing selves! He's a boss, and he's properly proportioned! It doesn't matter how bad you want to play him!

Geno is third-party, and if the third party doesn't want to participate, yell at them, not at Sakurai.

Krystal is the only roster-objection I agree with. I'd rather see Krystal than Wolf, to be real honest. But do I call the game a failure? Do I call the roster a failure?

6 clones is a fashion of ignorance. Name the 6 clones and I'll tell you just where you went wrong.

And 35 is a bigger number than you think. I thought it was piddly how little it was. But take into account all the alternations and you have 39 (Sheik + ZSS + PT pokemon - PT) characters. 39 is 13 more than Melee. Take out Dr Mario, Pichu, Roy, and Mewtwo, and you will realize that Sakurai added 18 more individual and unique characters designed to shut you up. He took popular series, retro series, and everything in between and summed it up with 3 years of his own time. Seriously, you people are LOOKING for things to point out wrong. I could do the same with Halo 3 but I'd get assassinated and called an ingrate. Well, look at what you're doing.

I went from stage 1 to stage 5 in about 2 days. I was befuddled with ROB, the "small" roster, and the inclusion of Wolf alongside the other two Fox boys. But I quickly discovered just how much has been added for me to be happy with. Lucario, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, ZSS, ROB, and Ike are at the top of my list to play with.

I'm absolutely positively SURE that every character list from now on will be berated for not having Ridley, a choice Fire Emblem character, or something that someone thinks is the best. I described above why popular choices got rejected and rightfully so. So take into account just how epic and awesome this game is/will be. Forget the roster, because now you have 18 new toys to play with.

In conclusion, there is no such thing as pleasing everyone absolutely within reason. There is no such thing as the perfect roster that even 80% of these boards agree with. Many, many people are upset and says the game/roster sucks, and will continue to say why and how.

Until, of course, everyone plays the game.

Until that happens, I'll continue to salivate for 1 more month and 9 days.

Arteen

Smash Lord
What? There are six stages of grief over the roster.
1) LANDMASTERRR!

2) BAROOOMPH!

3) Yayyy! It’s a free ride!

4) Don’t ride the Landmaster!

5) FIRE! This hurts. A lot! So watch out!

6) Yeah. It’s cool. My heart’s aflutter.

;)

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
I am happy with the roster.

No, really, I am.

Would I have perfered some different and some more characters? Yes, of course. Would I have perfered Falco and Wolf to have different Final Smashes? Yes, of course. But the majority of the characters that I wanted got in (Wario, Olimar, Lucario, Sonic, etc.). Plus I got some characters that I never thought I wanted but like them now (Snake, R.O.B. [I'm serious] Ike, Pokemon Trainer, etc) got in too. The only other characters I really wanted was Vaati and Bowser Jr. But, seeing how the vast majority of the characters I wanted in got in, I can say, unlike other people, that I am genuinely happy with the roster.

Viral

Smash Apprentice
1->2->5 seems about right.

Curse whoever posted that fake character (forget who, but I remember he kind of looked like an egg) screenshot!. I would have taken anything that contradicted the 35 character roster =).

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
You pretty much nailed it xD

I'm at a cross between depression/acceptance. Still baffeled at the drunk developers- but I'm accepting the awesomeness of everything aside

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet

Megaman wasn't up to them though.

and people did ask for WW Link and Wolf.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I was feeling pretty good about the roster, even though it was not as big as I had expected. But then I learned Ganondorf is still a clone... That's when the 5 stages struck...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think that the reason so many people are dissapointed is because the Dojo gave away too much. I Sakurai had updated just once with the starting roster before release people would have been much happier.

Hype is good for a game to sell, but if you have too much of it and extend it by delaying the game, people will ultimately be dissapointed.
Well no, it's not like I disagree with what you're saying, but at this point I think the player's maturity should be considered. I'm guilty of having huge obsessive moments for this game too (my...anti-Geno feelings are pretty strong, and I'd definitely have a fit if the roster happened to include him...), and taking things personally, it's really not a good thing if it's going to make you dislike a game that is still clearly beyond awesome. I'm not sure how many people I'm referring to, but lately, it just occurred to me it's kinda getting me miffed to see fans of this game suddenly bashing it without considering how the things they are focusing on, even if it is a few characters, is fairly small in the grand scheme of things.

Zant3tsuken said:
The most important thing that concerns me is that the characters are balanced, that someone can pick up any character and find out that it was a waste of time later when they find out that their choice simply has too many weaknesses and not enough strengths when it's time for tournaments. If we want to be playing this game as long as people played Melee, this is more important than adding a few more fan favorites to the roster.
QFT. It's only fair that a fan of a certain series or character should be able to represent their devotion to said series/character in a tournament on fairly level terms with others.

Arteen

Smash Lord
QFT. It's only fair that a fan of a certain series or character should be able to represent their devotion to said series/character in a tournament on fairly level terms with others.
You can't play as ATs or stickers, so a fan of an unrepresented series cannot represent their devotion to said series/character on any term with others. That's hardly fair.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

5-7 years with this roster. That is serious.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I'm still in 2. When I first saw it I thought "This is CRAP. It is totally fake." Afterwards I realized that it is real. Especially when I saw the Toon Link Ganondorf fight. Actually the thing that brought me out of denial is what put me into hope. When I saw the vid I went into immediate hope that Ganondorf would have a move where he pulls out his sword. I kept scanning and watching Ganondorf videos to see any A moves. I could not find any and now I have a deep case of Ganonitis in hopes that he will have a sword. I hope that there will be some kind of alternate Ganondorf where you can pull out his sword. Down b perhaps. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but like I said. Hope. I still think that Sora might be in on the bottom right corner.(Hope) I had one more character for whom I pray for but I can't remember who. Sorry for rambling. I am also Anti-Geno. I'm glad he is not in. I'm happy for the roster but still want MOOOORRREEE!! What can I say. I'm greedy.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
I still don't approve of it, they messed up, but whats done is done.
thats the very essence of what acceptance is though. you final accept it..

i went through 1 and 2 but kinda skipped over 3, and barely touched 4. ive been at 5 since wolf was confirmed.

Mizukami_Jago

Smash Rookie
I'd say I stuck at a 5... ... ... well... I can play Peach again... and even without her the game still looks awesome... ... ... now if only we could get to play it in the states a bit earlier... (like a demo... or... something...) in the mean time... I can play all the Melee I can... (that game doesn't get old to me... even though I've owned it since the cubes launch... and yes, I do main Peach.)

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Man, it feels so wonderful starting out at #5.

You should try it next time MarkMan and Reno give you info.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
you may not know this about me: I loved Wind Waker. Original Wario is in, 2. I guess I am the lucky few. Too bad Mewtwo is out, but hey, we got PT, and that's even better. Although Ness is in......what a waste of a perfect spot.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman

You guys are so funny, you all come up with the same ****ty response "Nintendo couldn't make everyone happy, you're just whining cause your favorite character didn't make it"'

I don't even friggin care, I don't have a favorite character to wish for.
I'm purely saying this for other people, cause I can surely understand them.

They should've added just a few key characters:
Ridley
Mewtwo
Megaman

And I can garauntee that MOST people would've been happy with the roster. OMG what a huge difference, 3 more characters. Yes but those 3 characters would've turned a crappy roster into an awesome roster for a lot of people.

Also, about your comment that only obsessive fanboys can think that the roster is bad...
I think you got it all backwards, I think only the true fanboys can justify this crap.

Besides, if I were such a fanboy, then how come I'm on the brink of just giving up on this game? It's not coming out for at least half a year, and I already know the roster is a disappointment. The rest of the game has to be really good in order to convince me to buy it.

PS. You fanboys make me sick. :laugh:

Top Bottom